Lens with fungus

apiwales

Aug 22, 2010
Can a lens with fungus "spread" to other clean lens in the dry box?

What about if you don't put the infected lens in the same dry box, but you use it on the same camera body, & then use a clean lens. Can the fungus spread this way too?

Fungus spores are everywhere in the air - yes even in the lens kept from day 1 inside your drybox.

Fungus grows when the conditions are right i.e. dark, warm and humid environments. The only way to prevent fungus growth is to create a barren environment so that fungus will not grow (i.e. drybox).

Fungus do not spread to other lens. That's mainly an urban legend that came about because once a lens in a bag has fungus the other soon became "infected" with the fungus. What really happened was that the condition in the bag was condusive for fungus to grow inside one lens, and the other lens soon followed with fungus growth because it was in the same environment (i.e. the bag).

To us it seems that the fungus from the first lens had "spread" and "infected" other lens when the fact is that the fungus spores were already in the other lens - it was just the right environmental conditions which made it grow.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your great explanation. Based on the above reasoning, I should put my fungus-infected lens into the dry cabinet, together with my other clean lens, & it should not be a problem, right?

Thanks guys for your great explanation. Based on the above reasoning, I should put my fungus-infected lens into the dry cabinet, together with my other clean lens, & it should not be a problem, right?

I left my fungus lens with the other lenses and though it did not spread, I brought the lens for claeaning and it is clean for now... but once the fungus had grown, there will be higher risk of a releapse and also, it could eat into the lens coating. For my lens, it eat a bit into the coating but it is not so visible for now....

I would recommend that you bring the lens and have it cleaned..... before the damage worsen....... but if it is a cheapo lens, maybe should consider disposing it instead.......

I'd tried to get it cleaned at Canon Customer Service, but they could not clean it because it is a very old lens!
So I'm not sure how to keep this lens - in the same dry cab as the other clean lenses or in a separate container with it's own silica gel?

I'd tried to get it cleaned at Canon Customer Service, but they could not clean it because it is a very old lens!
So I'm not sure how to keep this lens - in the same dry cab as the other clean lenses or in a separate container with it's own silica gel?

Did they say why they cannot clean it??? If the fungus growth was too long, and eat into coating, it will be too late and nothing can be done much...

Are you still using this lens???

If not put it in a zip lock air tight bag before putting inside dry cabinet for safe keeping... and if no longer in use... maybe can consider disposing of it....

CSC informed that the lens is too old and they do not have the parts for it.
But thanks for your comments and recommendation. I've to decide what I want to do with it.

Check with fatigue here in forum. He does lens repair and cleaning.

CSC informed that the lens is too old and they do not have the parts for it.
But thanks for your comments and recommendation. I've to decide what I want to do with it.

A member here send his old lens to P&G, job was perfectly done @ $70.

A little off topic but...

1. Is PG Cameras a reputable shop? There reason I ask is because I've passed by their Peninsula Plaza store quite often and have looked at their used lenses in the store window.

2. SamTac, is the avatar that you use a Sigma UWA lens?

A little off topic but...

1. Is PG Cameras a reputable shop? There reason I ask is because I've passed by their Peninsula Plaza store quite often and have looked at their used lenses in the store window.

2. SamTac, is the avatar that you use a Sigma UWA lens?

Sigma 17-50 mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

Samtac, I read the review that you sent me of the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and the review at Photozone. Both rate it very highly and yet the price is significantly less expensive than the Canon 17-55mm. Looks like it is a very good lens and a very good buy! How has your experience with it been so far? Unlike the EFS version from Canon, can the Sigma be used on a full-frame?

Last edited:
Samtac, I read the review that you sent me of the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and the review at Photozone. Both rate it very highly and yet the price is significantly less expensive than the Canon 17-55mm. Looks like it is a very good lens and a very good buy! How has your experience with it been so far? Unlike the EFS version from Canon, can the Sigma be used on a full-frame?

DC for crop

DG for full frame

So far so good for f2.8

IMG_6964.jpg

IMG_6963.jpg

Original file without edit.

Last edited: