Lens shopping in Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

zOOm

May 23, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi,
Does anyone have any experiences for buying Canon lens in Tokyo?
I vaguely remember there is one at Akihabara that offers tax rebate for tourist but can't remember the amount of tax rebate given.

Any website for checking the prices?

Thanks in adv!

I'm also checking to see if the Canon 24-105L can be purchased cheaper in Japan 'cos one of my colleagues going there.. Let mek now if you managhed to find out. .Tks..

zOOm said:
Hi,
Does anyone have any experiences for buying Canon lens in Tokyo?
I vaguely remember there is one at Akihabara that offers tax rebate for tourist but can't remember the amount of tax rebate given.

Any website for checking the prices?

Thanks in adv!

I am in Tokyo at the moment in the Shinjuku region, which contains two of Tokyo's best camera stores.

1. Yodabashi (lots of different stock, all camera's and many lenses (including L's) on display to touch and feel - expensive compared to Singapore! www.yodabashi.co.jp

2. MapCamera (1 & 2). 1 is in the building next door to Yodabashi and 2 is in the next building along. (All three are located on the western side of Shijuku station, maybe 2 mins walk). 1 has all the used lenses (lvl 3) and 2 has all the new (lvl 3) and used bodies (lvl 2). You can find bargins for used lenses, e.g. 85 1.2L for under S$1700, but most are not that cheap and most include local warranty, 6 months I think (I don't speak Japanese and there's no one that speaks better then bad english). Used bodies are a little cheaper then in Singapore, but not by much (but they do have the warranty). Lot's of 1D & 1DMkII's, saw a used 5D for about S$3900, etc... No bargaining here!

New and used accessories, like flash units, etc are cheaper here then in Singapore.

Bro.. Can help me check for new and used Canon 24-105L and Nikon SB600 there? Let me know the price k? Tks..

cyber_m0nkey said:
I am in Tokyo at the moment in the Shinjuku region, which contains two of Tokyo's best camera stores.

1. Yodabashi (lots of different stock, all camera's and many lenses (including L's) on display to touch and feel - expensive compared to Singapore! www.yodabashi.co.jp

2. MapCamera (1 & 2). 1 is in the building next door to Yodabashi and 2 is in the next building along. (All three are located on the western side of Shijuku station, maybe 2 mins walk). 1 has all the used lenses (lvl 3) and 2 has all the new (lvl 3) and used bodies (lvl 2). You can find bargins for used lenses, e.g. 85 1.2L for under S$1700, but most are not that cheap and most include local warranty, 6 months I think (I don't speak Japanese and there's no one that speaks better then bad english). Used bodies are a little cheaper then in Singapore, but not by much (but they do have the warranty). Lot's of 1D & 1DMkII's, saw a used 5D for about S$3900, etc... No bargaining here!

New and used accessories, like flash units, etc are cheaper here then in Singapore.

Sorry, but I'm just about to leave for the airport. If you'd have asked a few hours earlier......

24-105L is still out of stock. and the Flashes here are not cheap, might as well get in SG.

Yo Jo!!! Caught you here.. ;P

So bought your new toy already?
gryphon said:
U re e man to ask! :thumbsup:

cyber_m0nkey said:

Very helpful and good info... thanks man! :)

wow, if can get 5D for about S$3900 in sg... then it will be so good even 2nd hand.

cyber_m0nkey said:

Another big electronic shop you might want to check out in Japan is Bic Camera:
http://www.biccamera.com/

If you are a member, then you get 10% discount. Alternatively, as a tourist, you can get 5% discount. But you cannot get both.

meow_meow said:
wow, if can get 5D for about S$3900 in sg... then it will be so good even 2nd hand.

yaa.. not impossible but must wait long long.....

I will be going to Japan in a month's time... will take the opportunity to check out some of these shops too. But I really doubt Tokyo prices are anything cheaper than S'pore...

US is a better bet I think but too bad not going there anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.