Lens reviews & opinions in Clubsnap

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuxnewbie

Nov 2, 2006
I like reading lens reviews in Clubsnap.

Garden variety questions such as "Should I buy Lens X" or "Please advise: Lens X vs Lens Y" appear with reassuring regularity within CS, and without fail would generate a healthy response.

I do have a niggling suspicion that of every 10 responses to a "Should I buy Lens A" type question: -

Five (5) falls into Group A - Never used Lens X before.

Here's a typical Group A response (letters in upper-case representative of common catch-phrases in CS): -

Example Question 1
Q: So nux, how's driving a Ferrari Enzo like?

Me: The Ferrari Enzo!?! It's a HOLY car. Yes, really HOLY. Just look at the RED ring... i mean RED paint lovingly slathered over the chasis. And about the chasis... My god... it's dripping with BUILD QUALITY. Ease yourself into the driver's seat and you'll know what i mean... and the steering... oh man... it's so DAMPED...​

The remaining five (5) falls into Group B - Have some experience with Lens X.

Unfortunately the bad news does not end here.

Of the five in Group B, three (3) belongs to Group B1 - used the lens for five minutes in a shop / borrowed from a friend for a day, etc. etc. Their responses have an added stamp of authority from that five minutes of usage and often-times are quite convincing.

That leaves two, of which one (1) belongs to Group B2 - bought Lens X because they kena suckered by people from Group A. 'nuff said.

And our sole survivor in Group B3, the chap who has actually shot with Lens X to hell and back, doesn't bother responding because each response is likely to start with... "it depends..."

Example Question 2
Can I use fisheye lens to shoot sports?

Group A: Xiao ah!

Group B1: I have used this lens before, and trust me... blah blah blah... ... ... Xiao ah! (same conclusion as Group A)

Group B2: How to advise you when you are not specific? I have this lens, you want PM me I can lend you, blah blah blah, but generally, I think you are xiao-ding-tong to shoot sports with fish eye (same conclusion as Group A)

Group B3: *about to type "it depends" because he has actually shot sports with a fish eye lens before.* *thinks about how he is going to explain the placement of the remote cameras and flash* *Scratches his head, then his balls, gives up, switches off the PC, goes off and finds something to shoot.*​

no need to be suspicious.

i came to a similar conclusion, ever since the dx lenses got out.

I like reading lens reviews in Clubsnap.

Garden variety questions such as "Should I buy Lens X" or "Please advise: Lens X vs Lens Y" appear with reassuring regularity within CS, and without fail would generate a healthy response.

I do have a niggling suspicion that of every 10 responses to a "Should I buy Lens A" type question: -

Five (5) falls into Group A - Never used Lens X before.

Here's a typical Group A response (letters in upper-case representative of common catch-phrases in CS): -

Example Question 1

Q: So nux, how's driving a Ferrari Enzo like?​

Me: The Ferrari Enzo!?! It's a HOLY car. Yes, really HOLY. Just look at the RED ring... i mean RED paint lovingly slathered over the chasis. And about the chasis... My god... it's dripping with BUILD QUALITY. Ease yourself into the driver's seat and you'll know what i mean... and the steering... oh man... it's so DAMPED...​
The remaining five (5) falls into Group B - Have some experience with Lens X.

Unfortunately the bad news does not end here.

Of the five in Group B, three (3) belongs to Group B1 - used the lens for five minutes in a shop / borrowed from a friend for a day, etc. etc. Their responses have an added stamp of authority from that five minutes of usage and often-times are quite convincing.

That leaves two, of which one (1) belongs to Group B2 - bought Lens X because they kena suckered by people from Group A. 'nuff said.

And our sole survivor in Group B3, the chap who has actually shot with Lens X to hell and back, doesn't bother responding because each response is likely to start with... "it depends..."

Example Question 2

Can I use fisheye lens to shoot sports?​

Group A: Xiao ah!​

Group B1: I have used this lens before, and trust me... blah blah blah... ... ... Xiao ah! (same conclusion as Group A)​

Group B2: How to advise you when you are not specific? I have this lens, you want PM me I can lend you, blah blah blah, but generally, I think you are xiao-ding-tong to shoot sports with fish eye (same conclusion as Group A)​

Group B3: *about to type "it depends" because he has actually shot sports with a fish eye lens before.* *thinks about how he is going to explain the placement of the remote cameras and flash* *Scratches his head, then his balls, gives up, switches off the PC, goes off and finds something to shoot.*​
:sweatsm:

wow .. well said .. love it ..

I like the example on FE. Those who think it's nuts obviously need to go and look at more works by professionals.

Dave Black shot a fantastic photo of the kentucky derby (that's horse racing for those who aren't familiar) with a FE.

Status
Not open for further replies.