Lens questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushfire

Jul 13, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Dumb question, but could not find answer.

I see in lot of posts people say go for 110mm etc. for portrait. But why? You can actually use standard 50mm and just move closer?

Of course I understand the need for this sort of lens to zoom in on distant subject when there is no chance to move closer (such as paparazzi type shots of Fergie :)

Any help appreciated. Thinking of buying one or may be two lenses to go with my new Nikon purchase.

Is 28mm a good choice as 'only' lens for few months and then go to other lenses or go for 35mm?

bushfire said:

I see in lot of posts people say go for 110mm etc. for portrait. But why? You can actually use standard 50mm and just move closer?

Of course I understand the need for this sort of lens to zoom in on distant subject when there is no chance to move closer (such as paparazzi type shots of Fergie :)

Any help appreciated. Thinking of buying one or may be two lenses to go with my new Nikon purchase.

Is 28mm a good choice as 'only' lens for few months and then go to other lenses or go for 35mm?

Maybe it more natural to pose if the camera is further away from you than the camera directly infront at you ? Or if you need to use the flash, it will be better ? :dunno:

bushfire said:

1. The perspective is different. Different lenses give different perspective (or whatever you call it). Using a wide, a standard and a tele lens to shoot for example a half body shot of a same person will give you different results. Using a tele lens the features will somwhat look more 'compressed' and in a way more flattering (depends on subject as well.)

2. It depends on what you will be shooting most of the time. If you really can't decide, get a standard zoom that covers from wide to tele first.

bushfire said:

like someone had mention the perspctive is different. to add on to tat, a wide lens would make a person look fat when not used properly, 85, 105, 135 lenses are so call protrait lenses as it makes the person look more flatterning(nicer). higher focal length would also tends to include 'less background' and thus let you focus on the subject more. a short write upz on perceptive can be seen at:
http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/LensGuide/topic2.html
nevertheless if you know wat you doing, you can shoot almost anything with almost any lens.

it ready depends on the type of work you wan, a 28mm lens is not ready commonly use to take protrait(in general) it more for scenery and travel shots.
a 50mm is so call 'normal' as it suppose to give you the perceptive tat you see with your eye. it a nice prime lens to start of with, offering one of the best optics from nikon and yet one of the cheapest.
if you not sure of wat you wan, you can get a zoom lens to play ard first then decide which focal length you like, cause different perple like to work with different focal length =p

Hi! I am a newbie too, and have questions on lens..
I have a F80 Nikon Camera, with a lens of 28-80mm. I would like to get another lens..But do not know whether to go for a 1st or 2nd-hand lens, & not too sure abt the range of focal lengths of lens that I shld get. I think I am looking for Focal length ranging from 90 to 400mm shld be fine...

So could anyone please advice the type of lens that I shld get?.. Thanks! Much appreciated!

Dusk said:
Hi! I am a newbie too, and have questions on lens..
I have a F80 Nikon Camera, with a lens of 28-80mm. I would like to get another lens..But do not know whether to go for a 1st or 2nd-hand lens, & not too sure abt the range of focal lengths of lens that I shld get. I think I am looking for Focal length ranging from 90 to 400mm shld be fine...

So could anyone please advice the type of lens that I shld get?.. Thanks! Much appreciated!

Hi! ;)
Welcome to clubsnap!
Maybe U like to start a new thread?
It's not really polite to piggyback on a thread someone else started... :nono:
you may like to include the type of photos(landscape/portrait/macro/...) you like to take too... That will help...

& reply to your qn: Sorry, I dun use nikon, dunno much about their lens...
Have a nice day! ;)

bushfire said:

A good working distance from the subject is quite important as it would be too close for comfort for some "models". Studio shots are usually taken using that range of lenses to make the subject feel more at ease. :)

:eek: OOpps... Sorry.. That was not my intention when i post my question in the same thread.. Sorry~~ Cos I have the common question on Lens.. SO i thought I can continue here... :sweat:

Dusk said:
:eek: OOpps... Sorry.. That was not my intention when i post my question in the same thread.. Sorry~~ Cos I have the common question on Lens.. SO i thought I can continue here... :sweat:

n0 pr0bLe|\/|... We R 4LL :cool: ...

Status
Not open for further replies.