Lens question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zod

Mar 30, 2003
take for eg, the lens that is bundled with the 300d
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-to-F5.6 zoom lens

from what i understand, the lens aperature can open biggest to 1/3.5 at wide angle and 1/5.6 at telephoto

what about the aperature that the lens can open smallest?

is the smallest aperature opening dependent on camera?
as in like if i choose 1/8.0 on the camera at wide angle, the lens aperature will be set to 1/3.5 while the camera aperature will be set to 1/8.0, meaning the aperature of the lens will be effectively set to 1/8.0 too?

your question very chim...don't really understand what you are asking.

The smallest aperture will be typically F22-F36, not sure of the exact value, you'll have to check the canon website. Largest aperture will be F3.5 at wide-angle and F5.6 at telephoto.

There is only one aperture, which is at the lens. Not sure what you mean by "camera aperture". Anyway, if you set F8, the aperture will be at F3.5 prior to the shutter being pressed. At the moment the shutter is pressed, the aperture will stop down to F8.0, and once the picture is taken, it'll open up to F3.5 again.

1/x is used to denote shutter speeds, not aperture f stops. ;)

I think what he means is the difference between setting the aperture on the lens via the aperture ring, and setting the aperture on the camera body, via the switches and dials.

for manual focus cameras, u set the aperture on the lens

for AF cameras, you typically have to disable the aperture ring on the lens by setting it to the smallest aperture. the aperture is then controlled by the settings made via switches and dials on the camera body.

do any of the EF lenses have aperture rings? only the FD right? :dunno:

oh, so there is no aperature in the camera body ah?
oh ya hor... makes sense

then for all the lenses out there, how we know what's the smallest sperature that can be set? i mean, so many diff lens, sure each is different

look up the specifications in the respective lens manufacturer's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.