Lens not zooming smoothly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolpix7900

Jun 29, 2005
Hillview
Hi guys,

I would like to know if any of you here has come across the problem of feeling a click or glitch with the zooming mechanism on your lens when you zoom your lens.
I have this problem on my 11-22mm lens, so I sent it in for servicing at hill street centre when I discovered that the zooming mechanism is not smooth. I waited for a week, when I got back the lens, the zooming was smooth again but I found some dust specks in my lens and I requested that they clean up the inside of the lens. I had to wait another week for that.
In the end, the dust specks are not there anymore but the zooming problem came back.
Does any of you have the experience of you lens not being able to zoom smoothly? Will it harm the lens? Just want to know what is really wrong with the lens, which no one is able to tell me at the service centre. I will be bringing the lens back to them after this weekend as I'll be needing it. I paid for the servicing btw.

Thanks

I have this problem in my 14-54mm lens.. but haven't got the time to send it down for servicing yet..

My 14-54mm is smooth. What click/glitch?

I have this problem in my 14-54mm lens.. but haven't got the time to send it down for servicing yet..
What you mean by not smooth? Compared with the 14-45, indeed it is not smooth, but that is because the 14-54 is a weather sealed lens with some rubber gaskets, the 14-45 is not. The kit zooms are far too easy to zoom, even unintentionally. I don't want a lens to be smooth, there must be a resistance when I turn the ring.

What you mean by not smooth? Compared with the 14-45, indeed it is not smooth, but that is because the 14-54 is a weather sealed lens with some rubber gaskets, the 14-45 is not. The kit zooms are far too easy to zoom, even unintentionally. I don't want a lens to be smooth, there must be a resistance when I turn the ring.

You can feel a click when turned to the 14 or 54 end.. cannot remember. But this happened after i brought the lens to the desert.. before that the zooming is smooth..

You can feel a click when turned to the 14 or 54 end.. cannot remember. But this happened after i brought the lens to the dessert.. before that the zooming is smooth..

If you are talking about this smooth, yes, I can feel a little click as well. But I don't see that very worrying. If it's across the zoom then I would be. ;p

You can feel a click when turned to the 14 or 54 end.. cannot remember. But this happened after i brought the lens to the desert.. before that the zooming is smooth..

still under warranty? send to oly for cleaning. :p

Hi Coolpix, did they managed to get your lens fixed after the 4th try?

anyone knows how much do they charge for cleaning if its after the warranty? :(

I took felt a "click" with my 14-54mm quite some time ago. My happen around the 50mm zoom mark when zooming in and out. Sent it down to Oly service centre and was sorted out. No problem till now..

I took felt a "click" with my 14-54mm quite some time ago. My happen around the 50mm zoom mark when zooming in and out. Sent it down to Oly service centre and was sorted out. No problem till now..

Need to pay? or under warranty? :sweat:

Hi Coolpix, did they managed to get your lens fixed after the 4th try?

4th time haven't go yet... I think it is under warranty for half a year for the same problem after the repair. I'll should be there either this week or next...

Status
Not open for further replies.