Lens hood for24-70L mark 2

Zozo76

Dec 14, 2007
I've been looking for a long hood for 24-70Lmark 2. Anyone knows where I can get?

you won't be able to get a "longer" hood for the 24-70 mk2.

Canon doesnt have a longer hood that fits a 82mm filter diameter lens.

I have to agree that the stock hood is really ugly lol. I have tried searching for it awhile back, on ebay, amazon, gmarket, whatever wholesale website for a replacement good looking hood like the original 24-70 but all dont have :(

I have to agree that the stock hood is really ugly lol. I have tried searching for it awhile back, on ebay, amazon, gmarket, whatever wholesale website for a replacement good looking hood like the original 24-70 but all dont have :(

the MK1's hood is designed as it is for a reason.

due to the reverse zoom nature of the 24-70L MK1, when zoomed out it will be at 70mm. when zoomed in, it will be at 24mm.

if you get the MK1-alike hood for the MK2(which has the mainstream zoom mechanism), you will encounter severe vignetting at 24mm.

no prize for guessing what is the cause of the vignetting.

due to the reverse zoom nature of the 24-70L MK1, when zoomed out it will be at 70mm. when zoomed in, it will be at 24mm.

if you get the MK1-alike hood for the MK2(which has the mainstream zoom mechanism), you will encounter severe vignetting at 24mm.

Thanks for your advice. Does this similar problem occur not also happen in mk-1?

looks like you don't understand the design diff between mk 1 and 2 even now.

look at the image below from the digital picture. both are fully extended. the mark 1 is at 24mm the mark 2 is at 70mm. This is y the hood design is different.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-2.8-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Canon-24-70mm-Lens-Comparison-Ext.jpg

"The 24-70 L I and 28-70 L retract deep into their main-lens-barrel-mounted hoods as their focal length is increased, they have significantly better shading at the longer focal lengths. In other words, the 24-70 L I and 28-70 L are using an appropriate-for-the-selected-focal-length lens hood at all focal lengths while the 24-70 L II (and most other similar zoom lenses) are using a made-for-24mm hood at all focal lengths. "

Thanks for your advice. Does this similar problem occur not also happen in mk-1?

Last edited:
Thanks for the evaluation

And that is your assumption right?

If you really have a 24-70 II and a FF camera, you will realise the top and bottom part can easily extend for another 3.5cm without vignetting. Otherwise products like this wont work:

http://www.hoocap.com/en/product_description.php?PNo=13

This hood is about 3cm~ longer than the stock hood.

Last edited: