lens got fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

madbomb3r

Mar 19, 2009
Hey bros,

recently when i went overseas, i found some fungus/ stains inside my lens. Can i check how much do i need to pay if i bring back to canon service centre? or is there anyway i can clean myself. my lens is a 28-105 zoom lens. Any advices are welcome. Thanks

someone once told me that once the lens is taken apart, the alignment will be gone..

then again, i have not taken any of my lenses to CSC.

in the first place, do you have a dry cabinet?
if no, time to get one,
or else you can't prevent it again.

for fungus, if it is inside the lens, best is your bring it to service center for clearing, you need special tools and knowledge to dismantle and assemble the lenses. one fault move may make your lens become a paper weight.

the cost of clearing a zoom lens usually cost more than $100.00, that's how I always recommend getting a dry cabinet from Day 1.

I once read in Pop photo mag that someone tried a DIY way of clearing fungus; he left his lens, covers off, standing on top of aluminium foil in the sun - the heat and light reflected removed the fungus.

Can't say what it'll do to your plastic bits in the lens, so try at your own risk.

Best to leave it to the experts or professionals will be the best bet. As recommended by fellow CSers here a dry cabinet is essential if ure in to photography.

A dry cabinet will be the best protection. constantly removal of fungus will degrade the lens coating. There's no way of removing fungus except by scraping it off.

There are some techniques in taking a lens apart. ;)
If you know the procedure, you can put it back at it's original condition.

the man has spoken. =p

Errm...i hope i never have to visit you. =)

Regards

the man has spoken. =p

Errm...i hope i never have to visit you. =)

Regards

I'm not that good :embrass:
Errm.. you can still visit me for a cup of coffee and teach me photoshop and I can teach you cleaning your lens

Here's an example how open and keep alignment

how to open

Note: opening of lenses have some risk, don't do this on your L lens.
Send to service center if you're not confident

Last edited:
I had mild fungus growth on my 500mm f4L recently... sent it back to Canon and cost $140 I think... Came out spotless...

Status
Not open for further replies.