Lens For Travel (D50)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,

Really appreciate the recommendations given and dun need to argue over these. I'm in both camp and I understand how both parties feels. Actually, I also got another portable P&S camera on hand as it's easy to snap pics on food, people and misc.

Well, I think most likely i will get the sigma/tamron 18-200 len for all purpose travel to go with my D50. Is there any good camera bag with all weather capability and portable too?
Dun really like those preofessional bag they give, too ugly and bulky.

Wow, dSLR stuff are really expensive. But......... interesting to learn.....:)

azul123 said:
No lah, where got argue... I hope I didn't sound like I was arguing, :sweat:

Anyway, I just think that photography is great, I am enjoying this learning and exploring different settings and seeing the results. This forum has taught me a great deal. :thumbsup:

../azul123

Try Lowepro or Crumpler slingbags. They are bulky cos there's padding inside to protect your investment, and Crumpler slingbags don't look like camera bags at all. If you seriously can't stand the padding, then I suppose any bag would do.

just a bit of liteheartedness, but someone on the web (can't remember who) actually suggests using a diaper bag...definitely waterproof and who's going to steal a diaperbag :bsmilie: plus it's got long cylindrical compartments for long lens... ;)

theRBK said:
just a bit of liteheartedness, but someone on the web (can't remember who) actually suggests using a diaper bag...definitely waterproof and who's going to steal a diaperbag :bsmilie: plus it's got long cylindrical compartments for long lens... ;)
kenrockwell

I carry my 350d with either kit lens or 18-50/2.8 in a small waist pouch everywhere i go. Looks inconspicous n light. I used to carry a camera bag but no longer. I regretted one day when i was driving to work n i didnt bring my camera with me. When i want to shoot pictures i carry my camera bag with a few lenses.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

jackas_hero said:
kenrockwell
oh, the CS Idol himself...how can i forget... ;p

hmm...reliving this thread again...would u guys recommend a 12-24,18-200VR II or the 10.5 fisheye ( all nikon) for a three day trip to hong kong followed by a subadiving trip at tioman:D

jeryltan said:
Nikon 18-200mm VRII.. Or Tamron 18-200mm if you're on a budget..
I bought the tamron 18-200mm last year for my D70 and loved it. eyeing on its nikon counterpart but couldn't afford so tamrom became my next alternative. the compact lens allows me to chuck my 18-70mm kit lens at home and bring only one lens. small, handy, and fits snugly in my crumpler camera bag too. was backpacking in England so didn't want to add the weight of the camera equipment to my huge backpack so this lens worked perfectly well.

owned 2 crumpler camera bags and have no grouses so far. very well cushioned. i once got totally soaked in the rain but my camera was perfectly safe. also quite dressy so u won't look too dorky. more for pple who go for colours and design. the only drawback is that it can cost more and some pple may think it's quite poseur. but i like... who cares? :sticktong

obewan said:
If u have the new 18-200mm VR, of coz bring that.
One lens cover all and it gives decent results. (From reviews.)
I couldn't afford one yet. :bsmilie:

For poorer photogs, like myself who is on a budget.
I will bring 1)18-55mm kit lens (landscape & streets), 2)50mm f1.8D (for portraits) &
a tripod.

Yup i agree, due to budget constrains am bring these 2 lens (18-55mm kit lens and 50mm f1.8D) for my upcoming Taiwan trip ;)

I have the Sigma 18-200mm on a D50 also... and I have a compact Lowepro toploader... simple and 'rather' compact (relatively). Still small enuf to put into your backpack when you're on the move or to sling around your shoulder when you're shooting.

Not sure what's the model. It's Lowepro and a toploader and fits the 18-200 on the d50 perfectly!

I used the Nikon 18-200mm VR for my HK trip....serves most of my purpose......:)

For day pictures, I use sigma 10-20mm......offers unique angles....:thumbsup:

seanlim said:
hmm...reliving this thread again...would u guys recommend a 12-24,18-200VR II or the 10.5 fisheye ( all nikon) for a three day trip to hong kong followed by a subadiving trip at tioman:D

what's subadiving?

The lens and D50 do not go well with underwater photography. Better get a casing or go with one of those underwater cameras with casing.

blive said:
what's subadiving?

The lens and D50 do not go well with underwater photography. Better get a casing or go with one of those underwater cameras with casing.
DSLR and water doesn't mix ;) .

True, if you want light travel and buy camera for travel purpose only, buy underwater camera. IMHO, it can be used for above water also. It is weather proof also.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.