Lens for taiwan, taipei trip

bragbig said:
Is tripod a need to bring? Any advice? i will be going to taiwan in feb too next year...

Depends on you. Are you really going to utilize it? I don't know abt you but I'm following a tour so I don't have the luxury to set up my tripod and shoot to my hearts content.

If you're free and easy and enjoy night/landscape alot then why not? If you don't need it half the time then it might be too much of a hassle to bring along. Do take note flights from Taiwan can't carry-on tripod. Gotta check in baggage.

I think taiwan or thailand difference not too big right? In terms of photography. Personally I brought 18-200 and 35 f1.4 along. 18-200 for street shots or impromptu shots and also landscape. 35L for low light, portrait.

Sometimes 18mm is not wide enough for landscape but it is still possible by taking pano shots in portrait orientation at around 30 - 50mm.

I think the most impt thing is to forsee what photos you are going to take, and learn of ways to overcome with the 'weakness' of your gear.

I bring my tripod and use it when the part of the tour I think using a tripod is realistic. E.g. if I am visiting night view of various sceneries and I have space and time I can setup my tripod for night shots, or when I am taking photos with my buddy/gf.

However if I planned to go night market which is crowded then personally I see no pt in tripod. No space to setup, your tripod is going to hit ppl who squeeze past you, etc.

What to bring what to use depends on what you are doing, where are you going for each part of the tour and this is something you know best, and learn best during your holiday trip. End of the day the important thing is to enjoy your trip.

This is the setup i am going to bring to Taiwan...
Sigma 17-70
Sigma 10-20

So what do you pple thing?
Is this suffice?

You are the photographer..you decide.. we really dontknow..
Its enough for me.. unless i want to go to the zoo in taipei..then maybe ill need a telephoto.

This is the setup i am going to bring to Taiwan...
Sigma 17-70
Sigma 10-20

So what do you pple thing?
Is this suffice?

This is what I brought to Taiwan recently:

Sigma 10-20mm
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4
Cosina 19-35mm
Tamron 70-300mm

+ Tripod

The lenses are in the order of frequency of use.

Bring a fast lens f1.4 or faster for those night market shots.

ur comment on a 50mm F1.8???

Noisy and annoying but produce good image quality when wide open. Bokeh is not ideal when stop down due to the blades. I used a 35 f1.4 and 24-105 f4 for my Taipei trip. Was enough for me.

I'm currently in Taipei, gear as:

Sigma 50 F1.4 (no regrets for night market walkabout)
Canon 24-70 F2.8 (General walkabout)
Canon 8-15 F4 (Yehliu outdoor)

No regrets!!!! Cheers

No regrets!!!! Cheers

do stay dry ;)

No regrets!!!! Cheers

same here. i am currently in Hualien... heavy rain from Jiufen to Hualien... -_-" my gears are soaked and soaked again and again.

Depends on you. Are you really going to utilize it? I don't know abt you but I'm following a tour so I don't have the luxury to set up my tripod and shoot to my hearts content.

If you're free and easy and enjoy night/landscape alot then why not? If you don't need it half the time then it might be too much of a hassle to bring along. Do take note flights from Taiwan can't carry-on tripod. Gotta check in baggage.

Do you mean only Taiwan airline back to SG cannot hand-carry tripod?

I am going to Taiwan in about a week and will bring a tripod.
Will be using backpack and a camera bag; wondering if can hand-carry a 190cxpro3 tripod.

MentholLite said:

Will be using backpack and a camera bag; wondering if can hand-carry a 190cxpro3 tripod.

I'm not 100% sure about this but iv read it here and yea departure flight from Taiwan has a new rule that you can't handcarry tripods on board. *subject to checking officer*

I think there was feedback from members earlier that you will not be allowed to carry tripod onboard when boarding the plane at Taipei airport.

You can easily put a 190 into most luggages la, check it in. :)

for my tpe trip, i bought the following

50mm F1.8
18-135
70-200mm F2.8

i used 18-135 most of the time.

Just booked a Taipei trip in Aug from NATAS Fair. Will be bringing my Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens and Nikkor 55-300mm as I only own these 2 lenses at the moment. Think should be good enough to cover all aspects whether it's landscape or candid, just a matter of constant changing of lenses depending on situation I guess~

last year i only have my d60, 18-55 kit and 55-200 and a di866 with me when i go there.. was on 18-55 almost the whole 5days..

Went there last year for 7days plus? Can't rmb. Brought D7000 + 35mm and 50mm. End up only used the 35mm.

IMO, if you're not going to their mountains or seas to take landscape pictures. A 35mm or 50mm in 35mm format will be ideal. Their night market is pretty narrow.