lens for chingay

roaringflamer

Jun 16, 2009
Singapore
hey all! im using a d90 and planning to shoot chingay this coming weekend! planning to rent a lens just to try out for shooting this event as i dont think my 35 1.8 or 18-105 kit is gonna cut it. im not paying for the seats so will be shooting from the sides. so perhaps those who have shot before could recommend a lens thats good to rent to shoot? thanks!

It depends how far you are away from the performers.

I'd recommend getting the 17-55 f2.8 if you're close and/or like wideangle shots, and a 70-200 f2.8 if you're further away and/or you like close-up shots of performers.

You can also do a search on past Chingay picture posts and PM the TS for recommendations.

agree with tkbonz, a 17-55 or 70200 both 2.8 will do u good
unless u are using flash, then your 18-105 shld take the cut

thanks for advice so far. should i decide to buy a sb600 now (i will do so sooner or later anyway since flash is a neccessity) would the 18-105 cut it?

thanks for advice so far. should i decide to buy a sb600 now (i will do so sooner or later anyway since flash is a neccessity) would the 18-105 cut it?

Yes you should since you'll be needing it according to your needs. For chingay, the 18-105 with flash will only be useful if you're close enough. Using 105mm with flash to get closeups won't cut it, you'll be better off with a 70-200 f2.8 in this case.

Honestly speaking though, I would try to go for the 50-150 f2.8 Sigma on a budget... Heard good things... and a good flash. Maybe the SB800? Or the Nissin 866...

Honestly speaking though, I would try to go for the 50-150 f2.8 Sigma on a budget... Heard good things... and a good flash. Maybe the SB800? Or the Nissin 866...

I used Sigma 50-150mm for the Chingay last year.
The lens should be quite capable during the day time.
Below is the thread.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472396
Night time should be rather challenging if w/o a strong flash.
Hopefully can squeeze some time to take some photos at this year Chingay :)

Cheers!

If you are able to move around inside the performing premisses, it's better to bring along 2 body coupled with 2 lenses which is the 24-70 & 70-200 & standby a fisheye just for something special. If just standing behind the barrier... 70-300mm is a better choice. Use a tripod if possible when shooting at long focal range. Try some wide shots of the performing area too if you are on a higher ground.
Anyway, it all boils down to where you are able to access to & choose the type of pics you are able to capture with your existing lens. Flash is still a must (when the sun goes down) as mentioned on previous thread.

PS: How I wish I can shoot inside the performing premisses. Darn....

Last edited:
i see i see. darn cause im wondering whether a flash would help, but realise that if im too far away at night it wouldnt make much of a difference too >.<

hello all! got back from chingay haha and ended up shooting mostly with 18-105 kit while boosting iso and onboard flash occasionally haha. pics are alright and will post up soon but damm, really need an external flash haha >.< sb600 or nissin 866!

A hammer head flash plus better beamer is a better choice (I think). But that depends where you are. Good luck & have fun...