Lens Clollection

Aaronlim81

Jul 1, 2010
Singapore, Bukit Panjang
Hi bro/Sis, I am quite confused about decision which path to move. Well presently I only have 50 mm1.8, sigma 18-200 and sigma 150-500 for my 7D. My question now is wheneer I saw someone doing something different from what I'm doing I feel like trying. Hence, should I collect all kind of lens for different purpose. Let's say for instance like potrait, wide angle,fish eye,macro birding and night landscape? Or should I/we concentrate at 1 thing at a time. I'm not rich ,got to save up eat bread everyday to fund for lens. Secondly do you Guys collect different lens for different event/occasion/purpose too?

you should try out before you start buying and "collecting" lenses.

there are lenses for rental. Rent for a day and go out shooting with the lens. in that way, when you find out that certain photography genres are not what you had expected, you don't lose much money.

I would say your collection of lens covers from 18mm to 500mm so it should be enough for general things (maybe except macro which you just need an extension tube and you can get decent results).

How good a picture you take is not solely on the lens. I would suggest that you use your current equipment first and learn how to take solid photos. Once you have the skills, then you consider changing your gear. Also like what many people say, upgrade only when you really see the need to then you might appreciate your new equipment better.

I would say enjoy photography with what you have now instead of buy buy buy and it becomes your burden.:nono:

Hi bro/Sis, I am quite confused about decision which path to move. Well presently I only have 50 mm1.8, sigma 18-200 and sigma 150-500 for my 7D. My question now is wheneer I saw someone doing something different from what I'm doing I feel like trying. Hence, should I collect all kind of lens for different purpose. Let's say for instance like potrait, wide angle,fish eye,macro birding and night landscape? Or should I/we concentrate at 1 thing at a time. I'm not rich ,got to save up eat bread everyday to fund for lens. Secondly do you Guys collect different lens for different event/occasion/purpose too?
i believe you have all the require tele and walk around lens. if budget now you should get a creative fish eye(samyang 6mm), an ultra wide (sigma 8-16), tamron90 macro, 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 for different type of portraits

I'm not rich ,got to save up eat bread everyday to fund for lens. Secondly do you Guys collect different lens for different event/occasion/purpose too?

if you're not rich then simple, don't buy~!!!!!

why see others have something then you must also have...

if you want to experiment with different lens, just go and rent them... rent for a 3day 2 night holiday oso can.. don't need to spend 2K on a lens..

sometimes its better being contented with what you have.. think of other ways to spend the money which could make ur family/loved ones happier..

Then you gotta ask yourself deep down what's the reason for picking up photography...to be a Lens Collector? If so, you can fulfill that ongoing never-ending "urge/itch" by simply saving up and collecting lens. :think:

Think about the kind of shots you want to take. If you're not sure, just restrict yourself to the 18-200mm for a couple of months, then review the shots you took. You will have a better idea when you look back and see the focal lengths you used more often.

I think, while its always good to try out something different from your normal comfort zone, you should also be a little thrifty about spending all your money on lenses that sooner or later, you wont be using at all. Decide what do you like shooting most. If you really have to, rent the lens that you want to try out a day, a week, a month and then decide if you would have really needed that lens in the first place.

Try to differentiate between a photographer and a lens collector.

Its pretty normal for newbies to be interested in all types of photography.
Usually only after some time, then they will know which type really interest them and
invest time, effort and money into them.

For those type of photography that you don't do on a regular basis, renting will be a better option for the pocket.
Of course, those with deep pockets, need not apply ! :devil:

you should try out before you start buying and "collecting" lenses.

there are lenses for rental. Rent for a day and go out shooting with the lens. in that way, when you find out that certain photography genres are not what you had expected, you don't lose much money.

Sorry for the late reply guys, I almost forgot there's a lens rental service. Look like the most buget and convention way is rent. In this case I can hve a feel of all kind of lens.keke thanks for reminding me bro photoart.

I would say your collection of lens covers from 18mm to 500mm so it should be enough for general things (maybe except macro which you just need an extension tube and you can get decent results).

How good a picture you take is not solely on the lens. I would suggest that you use your current equipment first and learn how to take solid photos. Once you have the skills, then you consider changing your gear. Also like what many people say, upgrade only when you really see the need to then you might appreciate your new equipment better.

I would say enjoy photography with what you have now instead of buy buy buy and it becomes your burden.:nono:

I already have a raynox 250 close up filter,bought from one bro here.Tried once and dump in my dry cabin. Frankly speaking I m quite sick if insect. Was trying out macro one day,was chasing at this bee ended up bee chasing me. Lol.

Regarding upgrading of gear before fully understanding the full potential of the body of lens u do agreed with you. Even though i just upgrade from 500D to 7D I expected to see great results,however the result was same as before. I tried asking a senior to take some shots using my cam and it turned out so sharp. I was told my setting was wrong,angle of facing lighting,ways of holding camera was wring etc. Haiz..Anyway thanks for your advice bro. I will heed your advice.

i believe you have all the require tele and walk around lens. if budget now you should get a creative fish eye(samyang 6mm), an ultra wide (sigma 8-16), tamron90 macro, 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 for different type of portraits

You're a pro bro. Great recommendation. Well probably I will have to rent some if them and try out first before buying. Burnt in the pocket recently. :sweat:

if you're not rich then simple, don't buy~!!!!!

why see others have something then you must also have...

if you want to experiment with different lens, just go and rent them... rent for a 3day 2 night holiday oso can.. don't need to spend 2K on a lens..

sometimes its better being contented with what you have.. think of other ways to spend the money which could make ur family/loved ones happier..

Maybe I'm still quite immature in some ways. Trying hard to change, since young riding 125cc bike,see people riding from 125cc to 400cc to 600cc to 1000cc I also followed. From bike wanna have my own car. Now got car 1.5 thinking of sport car Wrx,Evo,GTI, etc. Maybe like what you said I should spend more on my wife instead. Thanks for making sense to me.

Then you gotta ask yourself deep down what's the reason for picking up photography...to be a Lens Collector? If so, you can fulfill that ongoing never-ending "urge/itch" by simply saving up and collecting lens. :think:

I was thinking that if I have all kind if lens “just in case" I need it I can use it that's all.Yup I agreed the only ways to end this thinking is to be self-contented.

The name of the game is to FOCUS.

First, know you camera well. Know exposure well. Know basic guidelines of composition well.

Focus on one or two genre first and get somewhere with those genres first.

After that as you progress, you will know which area you prefer more, then go into different kinds of photography slowly...

Don't try to run everywhere like a headless chicken... will get you nowhere and a whole bunch of useless junk in your dry cab/storeroom.

The name of the game is to FOCUS.

First, know you camera well. Know exposure well. Know basic guidelines of composition well.

Focus on one or two genre first and get somewhere with those genres first.

After that as you progress, you will know which area you prefer more, then go into different kinds of photography slowly...

Don't try to run everywhere like a headless chicken... will get you nowhere and a whole bunch of useless junk in your dry cab/storeroom.

Orh understood will try to focus on birding for the time being. Will buy more book and read more regarding the basic of shutter,aperture,ISO,explosure and lighting. Met a senior earlier on, he told me the same thing too, “Young man having high end equipment doesn't mean you will have great result unless you know your equipment well." Thanks bro daredevil123,always here to enlighten us(newbie). :thumbsup:

Orh understood will try to focus on birding for the time being. Will buy more book and read more regarding the basic of shutter,aperture,ISO,explosure and lighting. Met a senior earlier on, he told me the same thing too, “Young man having high end equipment doesn't mean you will have great result unless you know your equipment well." Thanks bro daredevil123,always here to enlighten us(newbie). :thumbsup:

No need to thank. Just giving back to the community as others have selflessly given to us as well.

Before you start shooting birds, please READ THE FOLLOWING, on some ethics when doing nest photography:
http://photo.net/learn/nature/nestfoto

For birding you can start by reading these:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/birdphotography.html
http://www.birdsofoklahoma.net/BirdPhotoBasics.htm
http://photo.net/learn/nature/birdfaq

No need to thank. Just giving back to the community as others have selflessly given to us as well.

Before you start shooting birds, please READ THE FOLLOWING, on some ethics when doing nest photography:
http://photo.net/learn/nature/nestfoto

For birding you can start by reading these:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/birdphotography.html
http://www.birdsofoklahoma.net/BirdPhotoBasics.htm
http://photo.net/learn/nature/birdfaq

So nice of you. Great info link you provide me thanks. I will take note. :thumbsup:

Hi
Your are a very interesting man, all the way... take some quiet moment to think what you want to learn in photography...and you will follow and improve...

I found out 95% of the time I only use the 20-35mm f2.8 L and 70-200mm f/4.0 L. We need to focus what we want and the style of shooting.

l.

Maybe I'm still quite immature in some ways. Trying hard to change, since young riding 125cc bike,see people riding from 125cc to 400cc to 600cc to 1000cc I also followed. From bike wanna have my own car. Now got car 1.5 thinking of sport car Wrx,Evo,GTI, etc. Maybe like what you said I should spend more on my wife instead. Thanks for making sense to me.

I think you're wife doesn't need you to spend huge sums of money on her.. but just simple things.. and maybe a nice gift as a form of appreciation..

but i'm sure she will be glad if you got a present for her~!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Frankly, the advice provided here from fellow forumers are really good especially discovering what you would truly wants from your photography pursue and get what's needed.

With regards to you 7D meagre improvement, it does not lies with how many lenses you have. Your 7D should at least works well with the 150-500 comparatively to your other 2 as I would rate that lens better in IQ quality. That lens is not easy to use and takes some getting used to and I kind of like it but I find that it works much better on the 5D than 7D.

7D packs 18 megapixel into an APS-C sensor (5D got 21mp but on a full frame) and it's the highest pixel density DSLR today. This makes it really hungry for details and lenses easily becomes the bottle-neck. To optimise the 7D, you need premium lenses. Take 2 identical shots with both your Sigma at same focal length between 150 ~ 200mm at the same aperture using tripod to see what I meant.

Instead of just collecting lots of lenses, save up for really good ones. In this way, you will have to scale down your wish list considerably and it will entice you to put in more thoughts in making your choices in relation to your needs. In this way, you will end up with lens that are suited to your needs and able to optimise on your 7D.

Happy shooting in the meanwhile. ;)

Last edited:
I think you're wife doesn't need you to spend huge sums of money on her.. but just simple things.. and maybe a nice gift as a form of appreciation..

but i'm sure she will be glad if you got a present for her~!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had to tried so hard to hide my newly bought lens or body frommy wife. Women very naggy...keke..Anyway will show her my appreciation for her every now and then or else she will said me stingy lol...

I found out 95% of the time I only use the 20-35mm f2.8 L and 70-200mm f/4.0 L. We need to focus what we want and the style of shooting.

Trying to focus in birding for the time being. But first awhile i think i need to master the arts of editing(Photoshop).

Hi
Your are a very interesting man, all the way... take some quiet moment to think what you want to learn in photography...and you will follow and improve...

LOL i'm not interesting at all, i'm just a lost man don't know which path to make. Landscape? Potrait?Birding?Macro? Sometimes its the influence..keke..