Lens Cleaning

vizz

Jul 14, 2018
Hi, I bought a Panasonic 25mm f1.7 online from US, but I discovered a smudge on the surface of the rear element of the lens, not sure if it is just a smudge . Can someone advise on how to clean it? Should I get a lens pen? I read on forums that it is ok to use isopropyl alcohol, but the manual states not to use alcohol. I have been seeing a lot of conflicting information, can someone kindly advise.

Hi Vizz, please do not clean camera lenses with a lens pen. You will definitely scratch the delicate coating very easily.

1) Get a rubber blower (get a proper sized blower) to blow away all the dust & loose dirt that is sticking to the lens element. If it looks clean enough let it be.

2) If the lens is still dirty & needs a wet clean proceed below with caution.

3) Purchase optical grade alcohol or IPA ( rubbing alcohol from pharmacies or alcohol that is sold by hardware shops have impurities & adulterated with perfume). Optical grade alcohol can be purchased from major photography stores at downtown.

4) Lens tissue.

5) Find a well lighted & minimal dust area to work.

6) Wash your hands with soap.

7) Blow away any loose dirt from the lens element.

8) Remove a clean sheet of lens tissue from its packing.

9) Fold it to a manageable size, do not touch the area of the tissue which you'll be using to clean the lens element.

10) Drop a few drops ( 2-3 drops) of cleaning fluid on the tissue, too much cleaning fluid & the tissue will be too wet & it'll leave cleaning fluid stains on the lens element.

11) Hold the tissue at an angle & gently place it on the center of the element.

12) Apply gentle pressure on the tissue & in a slow circular motion, wipe from the center of the element to the edge of the element. While you are wiping observe that the cleaning fluid is drying from the lens element just as the tissue moves away. If you wipe too fast or too slow, it'll leave cleaning fluid marks on the lens element.

12.1) Use the lens tissue for only one cleaning job, discard the used tissue. Use a new piece of lens tissue every time if you need to redo the wet cleaning again.

13) If you are inexperienced, please practice on cheap coated filters. Check the filters for scratches after you have cleaned them. ;)

Reactions: Ah Keong
Thanks for the detailed reply Light Machinery, will IPA dissolve or remove the coating? Because the manual specifically states don't use alcohol, and I'm not sure if coatings are equal, maybe some won't react to alcohol and some do. I also read that the coating for the front of the lens is different from the rear. The affected area is the rear. At this point I'm not sure if it is just a smudge, or coating damage. Otherwise, do you have any specific shop recommendations which I should buy from? Really worried to damage my first and new lens.

I recommend lens wipes from Zeiss !~

Seems nobody told the coating of my lenses that it has to act delicately :p
So far, tissues, some glass cleaner, sometimes Isopropyl Alcohol and sometimes the t-shirt did a good job and the coating is still doing fine.

Reactions: felixcat8888