Lens Cleaning for Fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonkk

Dec 29, 2006
Singapore
Happy new year friends!

I'm making an inquiry on behalf of a friend:

Would any one know how much it costs to send a lens in for cleaning fungus? She has a (brace yourself) Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM that has mould and needs to get it cleaned. How much does it cost, and what is the downtime?

Cheers, and many thanks!

Maybe u can pm fatigue for quote?:)

taken from canon's customer care service site, under L SERIES / DO LENSES, for 24 70 2.8, it costs 80 for Class A and 100 for Class B.

* Class A - Service includes checking, repairing, functional test and minor cleaning Generally takes less than 40 minutes job.
** Class B - Extensive service. Generally takes more than 40 minutes

taken from canon's customer care service site, under L SERIES / DO LENSES, for 24 70 2.8, it costs 80 for Class A and 100 for Class B.

* Class A - Service includes checking, repairing, functional test and minor cleaning Generally takes less than 40 minutes job.
** Class B - Extensive service. Generally takes more than 40 minutes
Err, dude, that's just general servicing, but fungus cleaning will cost more. :p

GMAN

80 doesn't sound that bad since a used lens cost 10x that.

Not sure if this still a good advice as it date in 1994. When I 1st started photography hobby back in 1994, no $$$ to buy dry box and so 2 of my canon USM 'L' lens kana fungus. Bring to service center & took me 3 weeks. The Canon Engineer explain that all parts of the lens will have to dismantler and spray with those "quick dry anti-fungus" But then the engineer also advise me that it will not 100% clean and the fungus will come back again. After that, I sold it to 2nd hand shop.

Maybe the technology now is more advance.

Not sure if this still a good advice as it date in 1994. When I 1st started photography hobby back in 1994, no $$$ to buy dry box and so 2 of my canon USM 'L' lens kana fungus. Bring to service center & took me 3 weeks. The Canon Engineer explain that all parts of the lens will have to dismantler and spray with those "quick dry anti-fungus" But then the engineer also advise me that it will not 100% clean and the fungus will come back again. After that, I sold it to 2nd hand shop.

Maybe the technology now is more advance.
True, it cannot 100% remove the fungus spores. Best is after cleaning, use it more frequently or store it up in a dry box.

GMAN

True, it cannot 100% remove the fungus spores. Best is after cleaning, use it more frequently or store it up in a dry box.

GMAN

Agreed..... once kena, must take care more. :thumbsup:

Apply Daktarin 2 times a day for a week before cleaning.. how?

not sure, but I really apply it on my manfrotto tripod handle previously when after use, i didn't wipe it before storing back in to box and fungus grew. So i cleaned it and apply some Daktarin. It is okay till now. :dunno:

GMAN

Apply Daktarin 2 times a day for a week before cleaning.. how?

not sure, but I really apply it on my manfrotto tripod handle previously when after use, i didn't wipe it before storing back in to box and fungus grew. So i cleaned it and apply some Daktarin. It is okay till now. :dunno:

Hi,

where can I buy Daktarin? Thanks.

can do it at camera hospital at sunshine plaza, located at bencoolen. I sent my zoom lens EF 70-210mm there and it cost $150.
I think urs will be around that range.

It is actually anti fungal infection cream that is sold in guardian/watson.

But for lense, not sure how applicable it is considering lense might have certain coating that could have some reaction to the cream.

Hi,

where can I buy Daktarin? Thanks.

It is actually anti fungal infection cream that is sold in guardian/watson.

But for lense, not sure how applicable it is considering lense might have certain coating that could have some reaction to the cream.

Thanks Solasido.
I'm going to use it on my tripod legs and my bedroom doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.