[LENS CHOICE] One Sigma Lens vs Two Nikkor Lenses

checkmate007

Nov 24, 2013
Singapore
Hi, all

I am planning to purchase my D5200 soon and I need some help with lens choices.

• Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM
  • Nikon AF-S 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6G & AF-S 55-200mm VR f/4-5.6G IF-ED

Both of the options above are affordable with similar price range and I am not too concerned about portability (willing to carry two lenses)

Here are my questions:

1. Which option would allow my D5200 to perform optimally?
  2. Does having a single zoom lens to cover same focal length necessarily harm image quality as some say?
  3. Would image quality degradation (if any) be significant?
Any opinions/comments on the lenses mentioned above are more than welcomed.
If you can suggest any other affordable lens combinations that covers 18mm to 200mm, please leave a comment below. :)

Thanks,
checkmate007

Hi, all

Both of the options above are affordable with similar price range and I am not too concerned about portability (willing to carry two lenses)

Here are my questions:

1. Which option would allow my D5200 to perform optimally?
  2. Does having a single zoom lens to cover same focal length necessarily harm image quality as some say?
  3. Would image quality degradation (if any) be significant?
Any opinions/comments on the lenses mentioned above are more than welcomed.
If you can suggest any other affordable lens combinations that covers 18mm to 200mm, please leave a comment below. :)

Thanks,
checkmate007

Here are my questions:

1) Which option would allow my D5200 to perform optimally?

Ans: Both options allow your camera to function very well. Do note however that Nikon D5200 doesn't have a build in motor and so not too sure if Sigma lens AF could work, it would be better if you test out that lens first. Do note that 18-200mm range is very useful and flexible. It can be a one lens for all.

2) Does having a single zoom lens to cover same focal length necessarily harm image quality as some say?

Ans: It might not have worst IQ. But do note that normally the distortion is a big higher for big zoom lenses.

3) Would image quality degradation (if any) be significant?

Ans: Whether the degradation will be significant or not depends on oneself. I wouldn't have care for that type of degradation, I focus more on the overall quality of my photo and for the most part, it is the story behind the photo that counted.

have you checked out the nikon's kit lens 18-135mm? it roughly does what you need and significantly cheaper than the sigma, though you lose out a little on the tele-end and the VR. the other directly competitor is the nikon's own 18-200mm VR. but it is more expensive.

Thanks for your replies.

I would just play safe and go for the 18-55 and 55-200mm. :)
(Plus there are some Christmas offers which have this combination)

I decided to add on other lenses when I have more experience with the camera.
(Hopefully, I will know which lenses are the ones I need more)

Thanks,
checkmate007

I have an 18-200 which I used on my D5100. Quite a decent lens, focuses quite quickly but slightly heavy compared to a 18-55 or a 55-200

Buying 18-55 and 55-200 is a smart move if u have a tight budget or are a beginner. It covers the same range as 18-200 but only spend a small fraction of the price.

For non-fast lenses, I don't advise people to spend that much, because over time u will discover what u like to shoot and thus buy the good and expensive lenses then.

If u have the money to spare, the 18-200 can be a good travel lens to cover a good range but it is big and heavy. Using it on your upcoming D5200 won't be too nice an experience.

On the other hand, do note that 18-55 doesn't come with a hood. If you shoot a night scene with a lot of street lights, you will likely see much light flare or blobs in the picture. It will be much worse if you attach a cheapo UV filter on it. For cheap lens, please don't waste your money on UV filter. It serves to degrade your image quality only. If the retailer says give you UV filter for it, u ask if u can get an extra SD card on top of the free one which is 8 or 16 GB usually.

Last edited:
Hi, all

checkmate007

No contest. Definitely this combo 18-55mm & 55-200mm. A zoom with too wide a range has many compromises.
(this is what Americans would call a "no brainer" - an expression that I dislike because it seems insulting)

Last edited:
I used both 18-55 and 55-200 for almost two years and I still used them even though I have better lenses. It's light and small. Perfect for beginners.

No contest. Definitely this combo. A zoom with too wide a range has many compromises.
(this is what Americans would call a "no brainer" - an expression that I dislike because it seems insulting)

Have you used all the 3 lenses mentioned? If not, what have you based on to conclude "a zoom with too wide a range has many compromises"? Cos someone else said?

Last edited:
No contest. Definitely this combo 18-55mm & 55-200mm. A zoom with too wide a range has many compromises.

Actually lenses in this quality range doesn't matter that much.

Realised that TS has already chosen wisely [see post #4] and thus the matter is closed.