Lens and Shutter Counts???

Status
Not open for further replies.

photographer20

Dec 7, 2006
Hi,

just upgraded from Canon Powershot IS S3 point and shoot to Canon 50D DSLR.

Basically I got a few questions to ask:

1) Are 3rd party lenses AND flash compatitable to 50D? If yes, what are some of the models and brands advisable to go for?

2) The price range for 3rd party lenses and flash?

3) When I was scouting for DSLRs in this forum, I often came across sellers providing information about the shutter counts. Does it mean a DSLR has a limited shutter count or life? And that when I reach a certain amount of shutter counts the shutter and/or camera needs to be changed or serviced?

Will be grateful if useful information could be provided :D

Thanks a million!!!:D

1) yes. if not its not called 3rd party. lens - tamron, sigma flash - metz (go canon original)

2) got a whole lot of them u have to be more specific

3) everything has a limited life, nothing lasts forever. when it reach the count normally you would just dump the camera. mind you in most probability that is after years and years, there are other things much prone to failure than the shutter.

To add to what Raied said:

3rd party lens : if it is designed for Canon EOS mount, yes. Tokina is another brand. In fact, with the right adapter, you should be able to use just about any lens if you're willing to go manual focus and exposure.

Flash : I heard people mentioned that Sigma is a good value for money but has poor construction. Quantum is even more expensive than Canon's most expensive flash but offers some high end features (like user replaceable flash bulb).

Canon lens price guide : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4461317#post4461317

(always go to the last post, and remember - it is a guide only. actual price will vary).

Shutter count : it is the closest thing to an odometer for a car, except there is no "scheduled maintenance" recommended by the manufacturer.

To get shutter count for 40D / 50D (and other DIGIC III / IV cameras) follow this link (posted by someone here as well) : http://astrojargon.net/40DShutterCount.aspx

Thanks so much to lennyl and Raied for the information and the various links, really learnt a great deal on the aspects.

;)

Hi guys, new question, I recently saw in other threads that Canon provides cleaning services of DSLRs for a price, wondering if shutter counts reaches it limits can I bring to Canon to get something done?

You can get the shutter replaced. At your own expense, of course.

Personally, I've owned my second-hand Nikon D70 for almost 3 years now, and I just crossed the 20k mark. That's including the shutter count clocked by its previous owner. So I wouldn't really worry shutter count. Unless you're a professional photographer.

Hi guys, new question, I recently saw in other threads that Canon provides cleaning services of DSLRs for a price, wondering if shutter counts reaches it limits can I bring to Canon to get something done?
altho we don't know when will a shutter will fail, usually will last a few years if you shoot a lot, but for most people, they change their cameras to the newer model long before the shutter fail.

Thanks so much to lennyl and Raied for the information and the various links, really learnt a great deal on the aspects.

;)
still got one more thing, let`s say at home you have lenses from your father time or older, there are actually adapter mounts that allow for use on modern dslr, you lose the technology and autofocus but depending on the lens used...you may not even need the autofocus or IS. No guarantees that such adapters will work but does not hurt to try.

oooooooooh....i see. thanks for the enlightenment guys!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.