length of Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

uginz

Feb 4, 2004
Can any of the owners of the Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 help me with this?

can you let me know wat's the length of this lens fully extended after it's mounted.
i.e, camera to lens tip?

Example diagram

Thinking of getting a zoom lens to enhance my UW photography range

Roughly 11-12cm. With lens hood is roughly 14-15cm.

Thinking of getting a zoom lens to enhance my UW photography range

Eh, don't you already have the 14-45?
The extra telephoto of the 14-54 won't add up to much.

Yea, expand range? Get the ZD 12-60mm SWD. :)

i dun use 14-45 for uw.
too slow....

14-54 is faster. much better for low lighting conditions underwater

I would recommend the 8mm fisheye or the 50mm macro if your primary use is for underwater photography.

Had the 50mm found the working distance too short for macro, not very good for wider shooting also.

8mm is the other extreme, too wide.

I'm looking for a more versatile lens. The sigma 18-50mm macro might also be a possible contender

The 14-54 is 113 mm fully extended at 54 mm, and 90 mm at 14 mm focal lengths. The lens is 73 mm in diameter.

Anyway, I agree it is much better that the 14-45, and actually, I think it is even better than the 12-60, since it is faster. However, I have no idea how you can use a zoom under water, if you need a fast lens, maybe you should consider the Sigma 30/f1.4.

The 14-54 is 113 mm fully extended at 54 mm, and 90 mm at 14 mm focal lengths. The lens is 73 mm in diameter.

Anyway, I agree it is much better that the 14-45, and actually, I think it is even better than the 12-60, since it is faster. However, I have no idea how you can use a zoom under water, if you need a fast lens, maybe you should consider the Sigma 30/f1.4.

Flyer, the lens port for the underwater housing is made long enough for extending barrels.

The zooming function is done via a external knob on the housing connected to the lens' zoom ring.

And another advantage of the 14-54mm is its ability to do decent close up... I think it will have no problem to fill a big nudi in a whole frame. I am also thinking of a u/w DSLR setup (with E410 and oly housing) with this lens as I find it by far the most versatile lens especially for wall/ reef dives where you wanna have wide angle and might also find small macro stuff..

p/s : I think the 14-42mm kit lens also some decent close up capability. might wanna check out that lens too..

And another advantage of the 14-54mm is its ability to do decent close up... I think it will have no problem to fill a big nudi in a whole frame. I am also thinking of a u/w DSLR setup (with E410 and oly housing) with this lens as I find it by far the most versatile lens especially for wall/ reef dives where you wanna have wide angle and might also find small macro stuff..

p/s : I think the 14-42mm kit lens also some decent close up capability. might wanna check out that lens too..

The 12-60SWD also has very usable close up capabilities... been shooting a lot of detailed stuff with it.

Flyer, the lens port for the underwater housing is made long enough for extending barrels.

The zooming function is done via a external knob on the housing connected to the lens' zoom ring.
I am learning every day. Thanks.

I dun know abt teh 14-42mm kit lens, but i guess it would have similar specs as the 14-45mm . My advise, don't use it coz it'll take forever to AF in the low light condition underwater, especially for closeups. But it is fine at 14mm wide. (tried it at the shadowed corner of the pool)

My idea for using a zoom lens is so that I can take wide shots and macro at the same time. Macro would be done at tele end of the lens range with an external UW diopter lens. It's the next best alternative to bring down another camera set up specially for wide.

uginz, I've got a question.

Does the Ikelite housing use the Olympus lens ports or it's own?

erm... off thread leh.....

anways, ikelite uses it's own lens ports. there are several available depending on the fully extending length of your lens.

Hence that's why i started this thread.

BTW, anyone know the fully extended length of the sigma 18-50mm f2.8 macro? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.