Leica M(d)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kahheng

Jan 20, 2002
bride.ru
Apparently there'll be a new Leica digital M which will be shown at Photokina 2006.

10MP/1.3x crop/Kodak sensor

I don't understand why (if the above is true) they don't just do a full frame model. If it's going to cost an arm and a leg, I'd want a full frame one so that I don't have to consider the cropping at all.

Hang on, there's always the telecentricity issue and the need to keep lenses compact. Maybe that's why.

wow...I can't even begin to imagine the price they'll be asking for this thing...

Crop factor is due to oblique light owing to short film-flange distance. What's there to say?

I wonder if the DM will be good or bad for film M prices... Will owners dump their M's to go digital?

Wai Leong
===
kahheng said:
Apparently there'll be a new Leica digital M which will be shown at Photokina 2006.

10MP/1.3x crop/Kodak sensor

I don't understand why (if the above is true) they don't just do a full frame model. If it's going to cost an arm and a leg, I'd want a full frame one so that I don't have to consider the cropping at all.

Hang on, there's always the telecentricity issue and the need to keep lenses compact. Maybe that's why.

waileong said:
Crop factor is due to oblique light owing to short film-flange distance. What's there to say?

We're not speaking differently :)

Digital M is old news. The German guy from Leica has already told us about the release date and 1.3x crop during the DMR launch in Singapore.

As Leica wants to retain the compactness of the M camera, they have to live with the 1.3x crop factor as it causes vignetting at the corners.

And unlike film camera which can become a collector item and remains functional after 50 years, a digital M is likely to become obselete in no time. So I'm not ready to dish out a high premium for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.