Leica lens evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow it looks really good! :thumbsup:
The color tones makes the pictures very easy to work with.

Hacker said:
The 90mmf2 and f2.8 should not show any difference, just the f stop. If you are referring to the APO ROM version, it will be the sharpest lens in the Leica stable, but too contrasty for portraits, just like the current Oly 50mmf2 (can only be used in non-contrasty situations).

We can always meet up. I have not yet received the adapter. Should be arriving next week. BTW, do you use soft focus filters? Thinking of putting one on. Not sure which is a good one.

hhhmmmm... so no diff in image quality for Summicron & Elmarit? :think: the APO ver wud be really interesting for a test drive. :devil: heard its very very exp.

sorry, i dun use soft filters. its always safer to use more branded stuff thou. maybe a B+W soft (if they make one)? u into portraits? i remember long time ago there was this effect filter with a hole in the center, the center focus point is sharp & the rest very soft. i really dun know where to look for this kind of efx filter, sorry.

behyx said:
Wow it looks really good!
The color tones makes the pictures very easy to work with.

BUY LAH!!! :devil: :bsmilie:

nightpiper said:
BUY LAH!!! :devil: :bsmilie:

As everyone knows, Christmas is the season of giving.

give me lah! Xmas '06!

behyx said:
As everyone knows, Christmas is the season of giving.

give me lah! Xmas '06!

X'mas '06 :bigeyes: wah!! this one literally wait long long. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

nightpiper said:
APO ver wud be really interesting for a test drive. :devil: heard its very very exp.

I think $4,400. Buy buy buy!!!!

nightpiper said:
hi Hacker, when u get ur Leicas, do u mind we meetup for a little lens test? i really like to know how much difference between the Elmarit & Summicron. :)

How come you got the Elmarit? Summicron got additional F stop...??

Hacker said:
How come you got the Elmarit? Summicron got additional F stop...??

the Elmarit is like a black horse, very underrated in the R family but the quality is among the top. most importantly, its cheaper than the Summicron F2 :lovegrin: no doubt i lose out on the speed, but evrything else is excellent. :thumbsup: waiting to see the very soft F2 bokeh from ur ver. :D

nightpiper said:
the Elmarit is like a black horse, very underrated in the R family

Sorry, have to disagree with you on this one. It is a well known horse, and definitely not a rated underdog.

Hacker said:
Sorry, have to disagree with you on this one. It is a well known horse, and definitely not a rated underdog.

i m not too sure about the Elmarit being well known. when i visit other forums esp those dedicated to Leica, the most mentioned 90mm are the F2 & APO ver. seldom heard of the Elmarit F2.8, thats why i view it as an underrated lens. but whichever the case, i m happy with the one i have. :thumbsup: :lovegrin:

nightpiper said:
i m not too sure about the Elmarit being well known. when i visit other forums esp those dedicated to Leica, the most mentioned 90mm are the F2 & APO ver. seldom heard of the Elmarit F2.8, thats why i view it as an underrated lens. but whichever the case, i m happy with the one i have. :thumbsup: :lovegrin:

It is a very good lens, same as the Summicron. Good choice!!

Buy APO!!!!!

Leica do not make poor lenses. Elmarit or Summicron, they usually have excellent performance. In some cases, the Elmarits may even be slightly sharper than the Summicrons. Where the Summicrons have an advantage over the elmarits is the extra stop and better bokeh.:)

hello Gerlim, what Leica range of lenses do u have. share some pic pls. :)

yo Hacker, the APO ver is meant for people of ur status. i can only DDDDRRRROOOOLLLLL... from afar. :cry:

No lar, APO not recommended for portraits. If you need the APO, get the Oly 50mm Macro. See the beautiful softness of the lighting here. There is a certain glow, or halo in the boy's face and the top right corner......

999d7a679486176d1be5e011ff1d3b1f.jpg

nightpiper said:
hello Gerlim, what Leica range of lenses do u have. share some pic pls. :)

I have the 50 mm Summicron and the 100mm Macro APO F2.8. I will try to share some pics....but ....I haven't quite worked out how to post pictures here :dunno: .....:embrass:

I had the R 90mm f2.8 (newer version than the 1960s version) for more than 10 years and all along I know what it can do.
Tests merely prove what we knew. Still, very nice of you to share with us your review.

There is a lens that can outdo this lens. It is the R 100 Apo Macro F2.8.
But we are talking super excellent outdone by hyper excellent.:bsmilie:

ricohflex said:
I had the R 90mm f2.8 (newer version than the 1960s version) for more than 10 years and all along I know what it can do.
Tests merely prove what we knew. Still, very nice of you to share with us your review.

There is a lens that can outdo this lens. It is the R 100 Apo Macro F2.8.
But we are talking super excellent outdone by hyper excellent.:bsmilie:

Yes, yes, I know. I have used very sharp lenses in the past and it makes the subject look worse, flaws and all!

Gerlim said:
I have the 50 mm Summicron and the 100mm Macro APO F2.8. I will try to share some pics....but ....I haven't quite worked out how to post pictures here .....

nevermind, juz post a link to ur gallery will do. :)

how's the performance of the 100mm APO? drooling to try urs... :devil: :bsmilie: any macros to show? again juz the link to the macro gallery will do.

thx Gerlim.

Hacker said:
Yes, yes, I know. I have used very sharp lenses in the past and it makes the subject look worse, flaws and all!

well, its a good reminder to us all that nothing is perfect... the flaws is something we need to accept as parcel in life. :angel: the lens is telling the truth, i can handle the truth. :bsmilie: pss...pass it to me for a day to try.

nightpiper said:
nevermind, juz post a link to ur gallery will do. :)

how's the performance of the 100mm APO? drooling to try urs... :devil: :bsmilie: any macros to show? again juz the link to the macro gallery will do.

thx Gerlim.

Just uploaded some pics taken with the 100mm APO. Hard to see the details with the re-sized images. Also my skill not too good lah! :embrass:

The lens is very good even wide open and in focus it is very, very sharp!

My gallery link : http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=15621

Hacker/Steven, a question... does the ME-1 on the E-500 helps greatly when it comes to manual focusing with the Leica lenses?

Stephen: I got a question too... i have been thinking of a Katz Eye screen, but I think it affects the metering. It tends to overexpose if I'm not mistaken. Which screen did you end up with btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.