Leica Camera AG, Solms is ending its 18 years of production of the LEICA M6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Ho

Jan 17, 2002
jasonho.clubsnap.org
Leica Camera AG, Solms is ending its 18 years of production of the LEICA M6 - a rangefinder system camera with a mechanically controlled shutter - with a special edition of the last 999 LEICA M6 TTL cameras. These collectors' items bear the imprint “LEICA M6 1984-2002“ on the camera top, signifying the period from the introduction of the camera in the year 1984 to its discontinuation at the end of December 2002. They each have a special serial number between 001/999 and 999/999 and come in a sophisticated wooden presentation case with a certificate signed personally by Hanns-Peter Cohn, CEO of Leica Camera AG, and Ralf Coenen, the company's Vice President Technology.

The Leica M system is being continued with the LEICA M7, an aperture priority model featuring enhanced convenience and operation speed. Other new products, including lenses for the M system, are to follow.

With its classic operation concept of the first Leica cameras, the LEICA M6 TTL is a direct descendant of the original Leica, the 'UR-LEICA' of 1914, which pioneered modern 35mm photography. What is special about Leica M cameras is their concentration on essential photographic parameters. Representing the ultimate in mechanical and optical precision, they highlight the skill of the photographer, not the technology of the camera. They are mainly used for press photography, available light shots and all other areas of discreet, fine-art photography.

“For a long time, the LEICA M6 TTL was the flagship of Leica Camera AG. Many photographers associate it with particularly successful shots and a variety of personal experiences. Marking the end of the LEICA M6 era with a special series - which is at the same time the start of a path pursuing new goals in the Leica M system - does justice to the special significance of this camera for Leica and photography as a whole“, comments Stefan Daniel, manager of the business unit for system products at Leica Camera AG.

The last 999 LEICA M6 TTL cameras will be available at Leica stockists' from March 2003.

Yes, but they have launched the Leica MP (Mechanical Perfection) ... an ultra-expensive mechanical model partially based on the older Leica M3.

Originally posted by Keltzar
Yes, but they have launched the Leica MP (Mechanical Perfection) ... an ultra-expensive mechanical model partially based on the older Leica M3.

Based-on the outer shell of the M3. The internal is basically the M6! It also includes a new viewfinder coating to cut-down on the glare issue with the current models.

This new MP is also heavier... it is an all metal body and has plated brass top and base plates like the new M7, not like the M6 which has a die-cast aluminium body with a die-cast zinc top plate and brass base plate. Having said that however, the two demo 0.72x MPs I had a play with at "The Classic Camera" two weeks ago were very smooth and quiet! The new MP, I was told by the Leica Rep, has a specially coated cloth shutter which further dampens the noise during shutter release. They had both the Chrome-Silver and Black bodies out for us and the Black version had the new Leicavit-M attached to it as well.

The Leicavit-M... now that is one real essential M accessory for left-eye dominant users. Well, that or the Rapidwinder. I'm holding out on getting/ordering this new Leicavit-M until I have exhausted all avenues in procuring a Rapidwinder!!! ;p

Originally posted by SzennyBoy
Based-on the outer shell of the M3. The internal is basically the M6! It also includes a new viewfinder coating to cut-down on the glare issue with the current models.

This new MP is also heavier... it is an all metal body and has plated brass top and base plates like the new M7, not like the M6 which has a die-cast aluminium body with a die-cast zinc top plate and brass base plate. Having said that however, the two demo 0.72x MPs I had a play with at "The Classic Camera" two weeks ago were very smooth and quiet! The new MP, I was told by the Leica Rep, has a specially coated cloth shutter which further dampens the noise during shutter release. They had both the Chrome-Silver and Black bodies out for us and the Black version had the new Leicavit-M attached to it as well.

The Leicavit-M... now that is one real essential M accessory for left-eye dominant users. Well, that or the Rapidwinder. I'm holding out on getting/ordering this new Leicavit-M until I have exhausted all avenues in procuring a Rapidwinder!!! ;p

hi

isn't the rapidwinder easily available from Tom Abrahamsson by mailing him?

he was quick in his email replies when i contacted him weeks ago asking a question regarding the RapidGrip or something like that....

Originally posted by Red Dawn
hi

isn't the rapidwinder easily available from Tom Abrahamsson by mailing him?

he was quick in his email replies when i contacted him weeks ago asking a question regarding the RapidGrip or something like that....

I've tried sending him an e-mail but got no reply! :(

Originally posted by SzennyBoy
I've tried sending him an e-mail but got no reply! :(

Hi

he travels a lot and u may have just mailed him at the point when he isn't around.

check his website for his movement details.....

btw back to the topic, the M3 definitely has a more substantial feel than the M6TTL. Part of the reason i believe is that it is even heavier than the M6 despite being smaller physically. With my M6, i use the original Leica handgrip but on the M3 i have found it was not necessary after getting used to it. If you have never used the M3, you wouldn't miss the feel as the M6 is already more than ergonomic. In fact, i find the bigger shutter dial better for adjusting shutter speeds with eyes glued to viewfinder. some pple dislike the slightly larger size of the M6 but to me, both are small compared to other camera makes :)

u touched the MP already? i'm envious :rolleyes:

The MP is definitely a marriage between the 2 generations and that's what make it so tempting :) Erwin Puts has a lot more details about the improvements in his online review.

Originally posted by Red Dawn
he travels a lot and u may have just mailed him at the point when he isn't around.
check his website for his movement details.....
Thanks! Will check and hope for a reply soon...

btw back to the topic, the M3 definitely has a more substantial feel than the M6TTL. Part of the reason i believe is that it is even heavier than the M6 despite being smaller physically. With my M6, i use the original Leica handgrip but on the M3 i have found it was not necessary after getting used to it. If you have never used the M3, you wouldn't miss the feel as the M6 is already more than ergonomic. In fact, i find the bigger shutter dial better for adjusting shutter speeds with eyes glued to viewfinder. some pple dislike the slightly larger size of the M6 but to me, both are small compared to other camera makes :)
I have played with my dad's M3 long long time ago but I do remember its weight. I'm currently using a M7 and this is quite similar in weight to the M3 (all metal body with brass top and base plates). The large sized body is fine, considering that I'm used to the F5 and D1H.

u touched the MP already? i'm envious :rolleyes:
I almost didn't bother to go to the invite but things wounded down in the office on that day and the shop was only a 6~7mins walk from my office in London. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.