lego bear

boon8623

Jul 20, 2008
Hi, I am new to prime lenses. Just got a 50mm f1.8 and randomly did a few shots.

Below is an image I took and slightly edited it.

bear21052014_zpsabb4e745.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
First time trying bokeh. Hope to get some comments on composition & bokeh effects.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Just happen to see a reflection of the lego when I walked past the table, so sat down to get a shot.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
Indoor condition, daytime.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
managed to capture the shadow/reflection of the lego, but something seems distracting to me. but I just do not know where.

what is your message in this photo?
random, bokeh, is a very weak reason to take a shot like this.
beside, your subject is underexposed, and the reflection does not appealing to me

since this is still life shot instead of a photo journalistic shot, you are free to rearrange the subject to reflect what message you want to convey.

Hi, after spending sometime reading up this afternoon. I completely relate to your comments. I will do more practice and come up with better shots.

Thanks alot.

Firstly bokeh is a characteristic rendering inherent to a lens model when there is thin depth of field.
Thin depth of field itself isn't bokeh.

If you want to post many thin DOF shots there is the Bokeh Monster thread in the Others subforum. Other interesting bokeh characteristics are discussed in detail there.

Otherwise your snapshot has not much to critique... because there's not much to critique