Late afternoon at Bishan Park

johndoe161

Apr 16, 2010
Ang Mo Kio
Hello all,

As the title imply, this was taken in the late afternoon at Bishan Park. The park is going through some construction and it was quite limited to get a shot without the construction 'activities' in the background or spilling into the frame. From my previous critique posts, I learn some stuff about cropping and pp techniques. I hope the picture shows some of that.

DSC_0095-2.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Mainly composition and maybe pp techniques. If there are other ways to make the picture more creative, that is also great. Other comments are also welcome.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To understand more about being creative and composition.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Sunny, late afternoon

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think there is always room for improvement.

Thanks all for dropping by.

Hey there,

Just a few comments. Basically, the photo doesn't work for me. There is no sense of direction and it's a little disruptive having the shot by the side of the walkway and having a tree stopping right in the middle of the photo.

What you can do is bring the viewer to where you want to be in that park- which is on the pathway itself. Do take note of rule of thirds for now and position the lines of direction accordingly.

Try not to place a dark tree right in the middle of the photo cos it just doesn't look right at all. Try taking a good view of trees and not only one. As you stand on the pathway, position the trees by the side, giving a good shot of a tree and the rest following through, giving another extra sense of direction.

Take note of shadows as well. Bring the tree colors out when they are suppose to and do try playing around with the PP. From the photos you took, I'm just trying to help but it's really best to look at others work of art from books and see what you can pick up from there and ask why those photos look amazing.

Happy shooting!

This photo doesn't tell me that it's Bishan park. It looks like some part in sg with a path and trees. So I would suggest that you can try look around the park and see what object or scenery is an iconic representation of Bishan park. It may help if people who view your photo can feel/think "ah...I know this is Bishan park, this fellow has taken a nice photo of it."

As for being creative....I think it's just a normal snapshot. See the fallen branch there? I might make it my subject for more creative shot. You might be able to google similar pictures, people shooting isolated rotten logs/trees along a beach/field etc, those kind of photos.

All the best and do share more photos for your next attempt, I am lazy to travel to Bishan so hopefully I can visit the place through your photos. Cheers.

For this shot, I would have preferred it to be landscape. Showing more of the afternoon sky and/or show more of the tree and the running track. It feels like being cutted off somewhere.

Bishan Park is currently under quite heavy renovation for the PCN and lots of fencing up was done, as such I do understand how limited the space is to actually shoot there. It would be better to return there after the renovation is done...But it won't be done till (I last heard) mid of next year.

Last edited:
Lemme guess... you are trying to focus on the symmetry of the tree with its shadows? Unfortunately, there's too many distractions... the branch thing on the ground on the left, the branching path and drain in the foreground, the tree on the right, the edge of the pond(?) in the background, the horizontal branch on the left leading right out of the frame. The path and tree might alone might work but the shadows doesn't seem to be in harmony with it. Basically a question of composition. No comments on the framing as I have no idea what you have cropped out.

You might want to change to another spot but given you are constrained by the location of the shadows and the environment, maybe look for a better subject.
:)

i think you should have chosen a clearer subject first before shooting. for example, a person jogging on the path might be a possible choice. currently, the composition is quite messy and nothing stands out.

another way you can be more 'creative' is to look for unique angles, because if you shoot at eye level it tends to be of things people see everyday. a different perspective (top-down or bottom-up or really anything you can think of) can help.

do also watch out for lens flare (right in the middle you'll notice that one of the branches is slightly turqoise). you can avoid this by slightly moving your lens until you see the flare disappear/become reduced (when the sun is not shining directly into the lens and onto the sensor)