Last night at ms colour amk hub

StrifeYun

Nov 15, 2006
Rivervale Drive
Venting.... Just kena lied to by the sales.... Recently got the Canon 50mm f1.8 stm, wanted to complete my set by getting a Canon filter. Guess what they told me... Because they did not sell they say Canon does not make 49mm filters... I'm like???? Went to search online, found it on eBay and Amazon... Haiz.. The s11 ms colour has nv bullshit me before but... The amk hub always tell me rubbish... Bth....

I dont get it, yes, canon doesn't make filters, it is those 3rd party accessory company making filters, like hoya, bw, and so on.

but they should tell you that you can get those filters from other brands.

---------------
Edit:

wait, just did a search online, realize canon making fitlers
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/product-accessories/ef-lens-accessories/lens-filters

I guess they dont sell it as most people dont know there are canon filters, since they can sell hoya and those brands to all camera users,

since Nikon users definitely wont buy canon filters.

probably you can get more luck in Canon shops, who specialized in selling canon stuffs.

Venting.... Just kena lied to by the sales.... Recently got the Canon 50mm f1.8 stm, wanted to complete my set by getting a Canon filter. Guess what they told me... Because they did not sell they say Canon does not make 49mm filters... I'm like???? Went to search online, found it on eBay and Amazon... Haiz.. The s11 ms colour has nv bullshit me before but... The amk hub always tell me rubbish... Bth....

Canon filters are hardly heard of in Singapore, at least to me. This is the first time I hearing it.

I don't think many shops sell them anyway. U can go to other shops and ask.

Sometimes, sales people will only know the items they sell. Other than that, they will not know anything else. You are probably the first customer asking for canon filters.

At least they didn't take a further step to con you buying a useless brandless filter like other shops. U didn't lose anything!

Last edited:
Just happen that I was there and wanted to get. For cheaper lens I normally like to get original haha. This was just something simple and the sales person still try to be me and say oh, canon won't bother to make such a filter.... Anyway, I've been in this industry for awhile, I have changed a lot or gear over like 10yrs. I still can't get over sales when they bs me hahaha. Just ranting loh. And ya they wanted to get me to buy other brandsbrands... But I told them I want all canon haha. Think I'll just get a b+w for my nifty fifty stm hahahaha... My 50mm f1.8 made in Jpn I also using a Canon filter, but at the side says... Made in Phillipines -_-"

Last edited:
Just happen that I was there and wanted to get. For cheaper lens I normally like to get original haha. This was just something simple and the sales person still try to be me and say oh, canon won't bother to make such a filter.... Anyway, I've been in this industry for awhile, I have changed a lot or gear over like 10yrs. I still can't get over sales when they bs me hahaha. Just ranting loh. And ya they wanted to get me to buy other brandsbrands... But I told them I want all canon haha. Think I'll just get a b+w for my nifty fifty stm hahahaha... My 50mm f1.8 made in Jpn I also using a Canon filter, but at the side says... Made in Phillipines -_-"

You cannot use any other brand of filter with Canon EF lenses.

EOS EF lens will reject your filter and it'll break into halves dropping to the ground.

All Canon filters have special micro sensors and they are light sensitive turning from transparent, grey to dark depending on light conditions.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: zekai
Seriously MS Color quoted me a filter tagged at SGD180, then he called the boss and presto, price down to 80 (but later I found out it was around 40 retail price). But I was a newbie then

The message is never trust any shop. Always do your research and homework before buying.

I use Canon clear filters for some of my lenses. I think they are relative cheaper.

Filters are one of the accessories that most camera shops (not referring to any particular shop) has the widest margin. It is seen as an 'essential' item which most buyers will purchase together with a lens. After spending a huge chunk of money on the lens or camera, what's a few dollars more. Those familiar with retail psychology would understand.

1. Some shops priced their filters at huge margins. They quote the marked up price and then give you a 'good' discount so you think the shop is kind to you.
2. After bargaining long and hard at the price of a lens, the shop will offer a package deal which includes an ABC branded, ultra-multicoated, nano technology filter free to sweeten the deal. Who know, maybe the ABC brand cost is only $10.
3. After you purchase the camera/lens, the shop will say that it is always better to get a filter to protect the lens (true). Why don't you get the ABC brand ones which better but is 50% cheaper than the B+W / Hoya.
4. Some filter brands have many variants of the same type (e.g. UV filter). The different models can have a a wide price difference. I would not be surprise some shop keepers may be mistaken themselves.

Whenever I shop for filters, I would have decided on the price and brand I want before I walk into any shop. If the shop do not have it, I will just go to another shop.

I'm guessing they don't have 49mm filters at that moment, and thus just crafted a story. Well, you can get a 49mm filter pretty much anywhere else, so I think it's ok.

All I can say is that I don't think you were lied to but rather the salesperson was ignorant as it is uncommon to stock Canon filters, more so 49mm. If you go to the 4-5 major shops in and around Funan, most likely you can't find any, perhaps Alan Photo and probably not 49mm.
The fact that you hv to buy online elsewhere testifies to the rarity of the filters.