Large Group Photo - Outdoor

Status
Not open for further replies.
catchlights said:
pinhole, can go up to f300, f400 or more, depend on the camera focal length
Thanks catchlights for the heads up :)

location is important, are they going to stand under the sun? try to get a place with enough shade to cover everyone during the whole shoot...

Morning sun come up very quickly, so you will notice the lighting keep changing, and it will be a big problem if you are shooting them under the sun. The exposure will not be consistent and some pple may be "overexposed". You may notice their eyes are half-closed because of the sunlight shining directly at them, so they may not look natural.

If you cant get any shade, at least start the shoot earlier..probably around 8am, so that by the time you arrange them properly, the sun shouldn't be that harsh. Fill flash is not really necessary if the light is good, otherwise I will use 2 or 3 strobes (without softbox) and place them wide apart. Set the strobe higher (>2m) to reduce shadow cast by the person in front and further so that the light wont be that harsh and yet give you a even coverage.

for choice of lens, 24/28mm prime wil be good, 20mm distortion may be too much. if you dont have other lens, then prepare to move back further and crop away the edge. Just stop down as much as you can afford and make sure each rows are as close as possible.

Hi Klose,

Keep it simple. No need flash. Do it outdoor but under shade, unless its cloudy. 9am sun should be side lighting, should be ok. Use a tripod, use only 28mm, any wider, the sides will be distorted. Just move back until you can fit everyone in. f8 should be fine. Your lens will be infinity anyway since most wide angle goes infinity after 5 to 10m.

Do 2-3 shots. Should be fine.

Thanks for the insight Wai. They will be in the centre arena - surrounded by buildings - so less likely to get harsh sunlight. Setup should be done by 8.30am and shoot will start around 845-9am. My only worry is the first 2 rows will be under exposed.

Thanks for the tips Max.

Here's my intended shoot setup.

I will be at the black dot. The red dots are 4 speedlights triggered off wirelessly. They will be raised around 1m off the ground.

try to place the flash as high as possible, if the light coming from bottom, the person in front will cast shadow on the person behind.

and btw, are u using IR or RF for wireless trigger? IR trigger may not work under bright sunlight and u need to place your master flash behind the slave so that the slave can sense the signal.

if you place the slave flashes in a semi-circle, the exposure will be uneven. but if you put them in a straight line, the slave may not be able to sense the signal esp in the day (I have tried and failed)

Wai said:
try to place the flash as high as possible, if the light coming from bottom, the person in front will cast shadow on the person behind.

and btw, are u using IR or RF for wireless trigger? IR trigger may not work under bright sunlight and u need to place your master flash behind the slave so that the slave can sense the signal.

if you place the slave flashes in a semi-circle, the exposure will be uneven. but if you put them in a straight line, the slave may not be able to sense the signal esp in the day (I have tried and failed)

Ok thanks, will do a trial test this saturday :)

What we usually do is shoot from as far as possible, place the light as high and far as possible, so we don't get distortion and with a very even lighting, just one light will do. a very powerfull studio strobe.

catchlights said:
just one light will do. a very powerfull studio strobe.

yah..but also very very "blinding" to the students, the photographer may not realise since he is behind the camera, but if you try that on kids, some may be scared and close their eyes or start crying. (when i was young, i will cry when i see camera flash too, that's why i prefer to be behind the camera now) :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.