laptop's suitable spec for photography use

Status
Not open for further replies.

570newbie

Aug 4, 2008
Hi,

1. may i know what is the laptop's suitable spec for photography (editing, transfer, storage...)

any recommended spec for
a. processor xx Ghz
b. monitor resolution xxxx X xxxx pixels
c. ram
d. graphic card
e. storage
f . ?? ?? any other ?

i am new, but say above spec is for a mid level of photograper

thanks for help

Hi,

1. may i know what is the laptop's suitable spec for photography (editing, transfer, storage...)

any recommended spec for
a. processor xx Ghz - at least 2.4 Ghz and up?
b. monitor resolution at least 1440 x 900 (if your screen is wide screen), or anything that's about that in size... the more the merrier, but ensure that the dpi of your screen ain't too high...
c. ram... a lot of laptops come with 2GB, but the more the merrier .. 4Gb would be good...
d. graphic card - you don't need much of this on a Windows system... but on a Mac... 256 mb and up would be good (I mean dedicated graphics card aof course)
e. storage - the larger the better.. something economically viable on a laptop is 250gb, get external hard drives if you need more for storage
f . ?? ?? any other ?

That should allow you to rush and beat some timelines...

Well, assuming you're thinking about a Windoze notebook:

a. A Core-2-duo processor of say 2.0+ Ghz
b. Widescreen of 1280x800 pixels or better/
c. As much as you can cram in, but unless you're using Windows Vista 64 bit, you'll want to limit the RAM to 4 GB.
d. Integrated graphics will suffice.
e. As big as you can afford. RAW files will gobble up a lot of space.:)

If you're thinking of a notebook to just bring on occasion during shoots, then go for a notebook of at least 13.3 inch screen which usually are on notebooks of ~1.5 kg and above.

If this notebook is going to accompany you on every phototrip and you're stuffing it into your backpack, then size and weight become issues, as is also your primary purpose for the notebook; is it for transfer, or actual editing. Either way, a UMPC is great for weight and transfer but not editing work. Can check those out; they go for less than a K.:)

Hi,

any recommended spec for
a. processor xx Ghz
b. monitor resolution xxxx X xxxx pixels
c. ram
d. graphic card
e. storage
f . ?? ?? any other ?

i am new, but say above spec is for a mid level of photograper

thanks for help

depends on you yourself.

how much you're willing to spend. how heavy are you willing to carry. what size you're looking at.

important factors to consider : price VS weight VS size VS performance

im using a lenovo y410 series laptop.
my laptop specs are

intel core2 duo(centrino based) t5850 @ 2.16ghz
3gb ram
win vista home premium
dvdrw
nvidia 8400GS(mobile ed) 128mb if i remembered right
bluetooth
card reader
14.1" widescreen
320gb hdd
2.4kg with batt

bought it during june pc show for $1.6k with extended warranty.

reason i bought was 2 things : Photoshop and games. games ran smoothly at medium and low settings. photoshop is nice and smooth too, occasionally i do video encoding too. did i mention there's a firewire port ;) this laptop model has different specs, another y410 model uses the Intel's GMAX3100 graphics.

another important point to note, more ram better. but we're using vista now, hard to get a win xp based laptop today. vista eats up ram, so does video editing and photoshop, so 3gb is good enough for me at least.

a GOOD BAG is important too, especially if you plan to bring it along with you. i carried my laptop+tripod+ camera bag(2 camera bodies with lens attached, 1 spare lens and flash) and ran like mad to take shots during NDP( dont ask why) after a while, you'll get used to the weight.

an important factor to factor in also is brand. choose wisely. ask more . do your homework too. comparing this laptop im using with my desktop, they're equally powerful
( usng an AMD AM2 4000+(2ghz o/c to 2.4ghz) with 2gb ram, nvidia 7300LE 128mb, dvd rw) , but of course, my laptop is wide screen :)

there are UMPCs though that are capable of using photoshop, but performance wise, lets not talk about it. and dont forget, UMPCs have smaller screens.. painful for the eyes in the long run...

ok.. thanks all

now only i know "good graphic card " not is not requirement for picture editing huh...

tx

not sure about that ,

for one thing though, if you use the onboard graphics , it will "eat" up or simple terms, use up your current RAM on your laptop. Some laptops can set the memory to be used for the graphics, others will use "auto" , which means intensive usage would eat up more RAM.

on my previous laptop , a 12" asus m5200np, i had mine with 512mb ram, set my gfx to 32mb , but after a bios upgrade, it "auto" sets the ram which can slow down the laptop. wont make any difference in a new laptop with 2gb or 3gb ram ? its up to you.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/645982

they['re discussing if built in vs dedicated is better. not much help , but i'll get a dedicated one for a peace of mind

I'll get one with dedicated graphics card. Better graphics for image processing and would be good if you wanna play games once in a while ;)

570newbie, are you planning to carry the laptop out on shoots too ?

570newbie, are you planning to carry the laptop out on shoots too ?

dont think i will bring laptop out for shooting,
most likely put as home as work station.

...... ...the more the merrier, but ensure that the dpi of your screen ain't too high...

1. why need ensure dpi of screen ain't too high,
isn't dpi high = good?

thanks

after surf net for info, found that glossy screen good for video & outdoor,
matte screen good for true colour.

aiyy.....can't enjoy both advantage at same time huh...

anyway, nowaday all lapops come with glossy screen .....
any idea where can get matte screen? old laptop?

thanks for highlight this issue :)

dont think i will bring laptop out for shooting,
most likely put as home as work station.

Since you wont be bringing the laptop out for shooting, why not just get a desktop ?

Firstly, its cheaper (well depending on the specs).

Secondly, upgrading the space of the HDD (just in case if you shoot all in RAW :bsmilie:) is much more cost-effective.

There are many reasons in which a desktop can be better then a laptop, vice-versa.
However, since you are not bringing it around and will be using it as a work station, I dont see why a desktop does not suit your needs.

Since you wont be bringing the laptop out for shooting, why not just get a desktop ?

Firstly, its cheaper (well depending on the specs).

Secondly, upgrading the space of the HDD (just in case if you shoot all in RAW :bsmilie:) is much more cost-effective.

There are many reasons in which a desktop can be better then a laptop, vice-versa.
However, since you are not bringing it around and will be using it as a work station, I dont see why a desktop does not suit your needs.

.. ya i know desktop is much cheaper,
bt i will choose a laptop. maybe i need to use it at different place..:)

Well.. you really do want to decide firmly if you intend to bring the notebook out at all, and if the occasional portability warrants paying a lot more for what is ultimately a weaker and less reliable computer compared to a desktop. For $1.5K you can get a reasonably good desktop for photo editing and storage, and $1.5K you're nearing the low end for a mid-sized notebook with all round poorer specifications.

Computers nowadays, regardless of desktop or laptops, are powerful enough to do all this simple photo editing.
If photos are for meeting deadlines, then go top end.

how serious is the glossy screen for photograpy editing, viewing...
print out colour not tally with what is show on screen??

nowaday, almost all come with glossy screen.
if anyone know which model come with metta screen, can let me know or pm me

graphics cards will not speed up image processing in an image editing software (not yet anyway at this point in time)... in any case, for 2D display of images (not gaming), the graphics memory that needs to used is only like 16MB tops...

Status
Not open for further replies.