Laos

olyomono

Feb 21, 2013
singapore
Good day guys, I shall be planning a backpacking trip to laos this may and jus check there r no direct flight from sg to laos and need to take a flight to bkk before going to luang prabang international airport. ANyone can cfm this or another other alternative? and what things to note there? and attraction? waterfall at laung prabang sounds gd ..

You will have to fly in/out from bkk to get to Luang Prabang or Vientianne. The other alternative is to take a flight to Chiang Mai, bus it to the borders at Chiang Khong and cross the river to get to Laos. From there you can take a slow two days boat down the river to Luang Prabang or you can bus it to somewhere else before heading down to Luang Prabang.

Things to see and do depends on how many days you have and what you are interested in. If you are the outdoors type, there are some interesting hikes in the North parts of the country. Great for photos too with lots of local villagers. It is more mountainous in these regions, so travel is slow and not easy. You can also do some kayaking in Vang Vieng. Luang Prabang is nice to wander around for few days. You can try out local massages and herbal steam baths.

In the central regions, you can check out the Bolavan regions for coffee/tea plantations and some hikes.

Down south, you can go ride around the many islands in Si Phan Don, going through paddy fields, saying "Sabaidee" to the friendly locals. And then sit back and relax in the hammock by your little bamboo hut and watch the sunset at the end of the day.

It is a third world country after all. Expect slow and some hard traveling. Plan for a longer visit, move at a slower pace and you will be able to enjoy the beauty of this lovely country.

how is 10 days to you? massage and herbal baths sounds good .. what about any bicycle ride around there for rental?

If you have only 10 days, then I suggest you fly in. Having to make a transfer at BKK, that will only give you about 8 days. Taking into account you will need time for traveling from one place to another, that does not give you a lot of time to play with, so you may not have the time to go all the way to the south. I spent 3 weeks the last time, going from north to south.

You can rent bicycles from local shops in Luang Prabang and other places. They are quite cheap. Many of the local travel agencies also conduct hikes and biking tours, which you may want to check out once you are there.

I suggest you go to the library and borrow a guidebook and do some reading up. It will give you a much better idea on what to see and do within your time frame. Some of the guidebooks give a suggested itinerary too, which you can consider.

Actually with only 10days, I personally wouldn't want to go far north too;

One of the places I liked out of Luang Prabang is Muong Ngoi.
Roving Light TravelPhotoBlog: Muang Ngoi, Laos

Although now, I think things are probably more touristy.

Luang Prabang alone I think I spent 4-5days liao! Nice place to chill out! :p