Landscape photography

weixuan

Apr 10, 2013
Sinagpore
I have only a 650d and a 18-55mm kit lens. Where is a good place to take good landscape photography? And please give me some tips on that. For example where to focus and how to create the reflection on the water. Also please give the the exact spot on where to take landscape photography.

I have only a 650d and a 18-55mm kit lens. Where is a good place to take good landscape photography? And please give me some tips on that. For example where to focus and how to create the reflection on the water. Also please give the the exact spot on where to take landscape photography.

I hope you are not going to ask for the exact settings,timing,weather,people,sun angle etc...

Photography is an ART....You can only shoot what your eyes can see... If you can't see, even if someone (or many people) tell you the same thing, you won't be able to see it. Try It, Experience It. With that that then you are able to train your eyes to see those angles and know where to shoot, how to frame the shot etc.

For a basic start, head down to the Esplanade and shoot the CBD. please do at least some homework and read this about best timing to go... *If you want, can even go out now and shoot your neighbourhood estate...*

A list of places to conside shootingr: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land...isting-land-city-scapes-venues-singapore.html
Looking at other people's gallery is also a way to learn to see what other people see and with that you will "try" to see it for yourself. It takes time, but definitely will be more beneficial than people telling you exactly what to shoot.

Last edited:
We have an entire section here for that. Have you taken the time to browse through this? Do you expect us to teach you? Please put a request under 'Services Wanted' to find your personal teacher.
Photography is a hobby, usually people pick a hobby and learn it because they like to learn. Which also means: people put efforts in. You can start with reading the newbies guide here so that you get a basic understanding about photography. Taken landscape pictures is just one way, the basic rules still apply. Alternatively, join one of the newbie outings (see respective section) or attend a photography class / course (contacts in the other section here).

I had a thread Beautiful Sunset Today it provide all the information needed by you like locations of the sunset taken (and the date taken), camera used, lens, f/stop, shutter speed and any GND/CPL filters used. Hope it will be useful to you. :)

One of the best place to shoot, is out of your window. You might be pleasantly surprise at the beauty of your neighbourhood during sunset or sunrise... the formation of the clouds, the colour of the sky, etc, as the background and HDB flats as the main subject.

My tip for you: get out of the house more. Then explore SG more. You will naturally come across many spots that will present you with opportunities.

Don't expect to be spoonfed, photography is a journey. If you don't even have the passion to discover things, a new hobby may be better for you.

if you are just looking to "make" a photo, i suggest you download the photo you want from online instead. would be so much faster.

if you are looking to "take" a photo, then maybe you should explore it with your camera and your eyes, not by requesting it.

:sweat:

You need GPS coordinates?

Suggest to grab a book on the library on landscape photography, FOC, and much better than a few random lines spewed by any forumer here. And then go out and put what is written into practise, and derive your own form of understanding.

This isn't primary school mathematics...

Taking half day leave to walk botanical garden today... Paying my debts for not doing shoots regularly. If you happen to be there seeing a Nikon user, Hi :)

TS after you learn the basic of photography and other things that others have mentioned here, you also need to learn one more thing - post processing which is equally important. try to search in youtube - how to take landscape up to post processing... HTH

i would suggest you browse the Landscapes photo gallery section and recreate some Masters work.

no need to feel shy duplicating a good scene. i did that when i started out with my flower arranging skills. hence my arrangement still retains strong flavor of certain artists even though they are unique and distinct works.

if you are just looking to "make" a photo, i suggest you download the photo you want from online instead. would be so much faster.
if you are looking to "take" a photo, then maybe you should explore it with your camera and your eyes, not by requesting it.
I think it's meant the other way around when we only look at the camera usage.
Taking a picture is the (more or less) quick snap, making (or creating) a picture is the conscious process of preparation, anticipation and execution (including post-processing).

weixuan said:

Hi! I have been reading your questions & the answers from the experts with some interest. Also, you haven't responded yet; I wonder if you felt intimidated by the answers so far by some who have considerable experience.

Perhaps allow me to comment from a different angle, not from an expert point of view, of course, but from a hobbyist's and travel/holiday photo-taker point of view.

1. Like you, I have a 550D with one kit lens, mine is a 18-135. I find a good place to take some pleasant landscape photos are the Marina Bay area, public parks like Pasir Ris Park with open spaces, a mangrove swamp & a sea coast.

2. I have not been able to take natural reflections from the water quite successfully so far in Singapore, maybe because I haven't come across a very still lake yet when my camera is with me. So, like you, I'm still finding a nice spot. It is easier to find these overseas, for example, in Switzerland or in Canada.

3. I read a few landscape photography books from the library and bought 2-3 myself. Generally, the suggestion is to focus about 1/3 the way on an object with the background towards infinity, and setting a higher f/ number for deeper depth of field, one can get quite a nice photo. A tripod will help to improve sharpness, the books say. I have tried it out several times overseas during my travels, generally it works quite well as recommended.

I hope the above is useful. I'm still learning after using the 550D for about 3 years now. Enjoy your photography.

😎

2. I have not been able to take natural reflections from the water quite successfully so far in Singapore, maybe because I haven't come across a very still lake yet when my camera is with me. So, like you, I'm still finding a nice spot. It is easier to find these overseas, for example, in Switzerland or in Canada.
You are right, reflections require still water.

For water, there are 3 main classifications to me in Singapore, overseas may have more variety:

1) Sea - rarely still for obvious reasons. Can usually forget about reflections here, very very very rare. Affected by wind, tide, current, everything.
2) Enclosed water bodies (e.g. reservoirs, Singapore River) - sometimes still. Affected mainly by wind, there might be currents too. Usually still in the early mornings and late at night, depending on your luck. Sometimes still in the day, but very rare.
3) Artificial ponds (e.g. Marina Bay Sands Artscience Museum pond). Only affected by wind, and artificial water features if any. Usually still most of the time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for helping me. I have a better understanding for landscape photography now:)

Research it from websites
I start to shoot from garden/park , street shooting .
Than move on to out-door model shooting .
The more u shoot , the better understanding of ur camera

Btw i using a Canon 600D

Thanks everyone for helping me. I have a better understanding for landscape photography now:)

Maybe in the short future we will be able to see you start posting in the Landscape Section. :)

:sweat:

You need GPS coordinates?

Suggest to grab a book on the library on landscape photography, FOC, and much better than a few random lines spewed by any forumer here. And then go out and put what is written into practise, and derive your own form of understanding.

This isn't primary school mathematics...

or just look at other ppl's photos and try to reverse engineer the location also. you need to see more, walk around more, to get interesting and unique POVs for landscapes.

Good place to take good landscape photography => Garden by the Bay?

Where to focus => Use infinite focus and smallest aperture.

Create reflection on the water => Stand in front of the water and take the picture?

Exact spot => Can't remember?