]Lamergod[ Home Utd VS Woodlands Wellington

lamergod

Feb 9, 2009
Fratton Park, Portsmouth
I would like to bring your attention to this man, Asraf Rashid. If you see carefully, one of his arm is actually amputated. Even with such disability, he managed to get into the first team of HUFC. My respects.
5563885771_aee867e975_b.jpg

Frederic Mendy
5563885119_b55770c7b6_b.jpg

Munier Raychouni
5563884495_4db6480275_b.jpg

Good pics there Lamergod. I would have align some of the pics for better viewing. Thanks for sharing.

Good pics there Lamergod. I would have align some of the pics for better viewing. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome.

I couldn't align the horizon because at the top part of the first 2 pictures is a head and part of a ball. And I also don't crop my shots.

Last edited:
My hats off to Asraf Rashid as well - he's truly an inspiration.

I would say I preferred your earlier series vs Albirex which showcased a wider variety of shots. But I suppose the light shower did make most of us reluctant to hit the pitch that evening until the match started.

On the topic of cropping I would say that sports is one area of photography where cropping is necessary and generally accepted. Whilst I understand that it may be a personal photography principle of yours not to crop - I'll say don't dump a shot to the recycle bin if it could be enhanced by means of a slight crop or re-frame.

Last edited:
My hats off to Asraf Rashid as well - he's truly an inspiration.

I would say I preferred your earlier series vs Albirex which showcased a wider variety of shots. But I suppose the light shower did make most of us reluctant to hit the pitch that evening until the match started.

On the topic of cropping I would say that sports is one area of photography where cropping is necessary and generally accepted. Whilst I understand that it may be a personal photography principle of yours not to crop - I'll say don't dump a shot to the recycle bin if it could be enhanced by means of a slight crop or re-frame.

Indeed. The rain was very annoying because of thee reflection it caused on the sponsors board.(Check out 3. The bottom is brighter that the rest of the picture). And in the first half, I was sitting behind the sponsor's board and was two inches too short so I was held back. In the second half I changed place and was more 'free'. I came back with like only 10+ pictures to work with.

The pace of the game was also another factor. The game was really slow because Woodlands kept hitting long balls to Alexio and slowed down the tempo. I could see Home U making an effort to pace up with more short passes but the game was really boring besides the fantastic free kick from Qiu Li

My principal of not cropping is a more personal one. I find that many sport pictures that are cropped comes out very pretentious. I actually do crop if I find that the picture is that worthy of keeping. But I do limit myself to about 10% of cropping.

Last edited:
In your picture 3, it seems to be lens/filter flare from the stadium lights. Partially because of the rain too.

I noticed your lens hood was shorter than a normal sized hood for 70-200/80-200 f/2.8 models.

In your picture 3, it seems to be lens/filter flare from the stadium lights. Partially because of the rain too.

I noticed your lens hood was shorter than a normal sized hood for 70-200/80-200 f/2.8 models.

I have no idea where did you get that logic from. But I'm pretty sure it's from the reflection of the raindrops on the sponsor's board. The problem was made worst by the colour of the board. (White)

Well, believe it or not it is the proper one.

Did you try standing? Another angle may change these reflection problems?

Anyway one tip I would suggest would be to align the horizontal to as close to level before shooting.

Last edited:
Did you try standing? Another angle may change these reflection problems?

Anyway one tip I would suggest would be to align the horizontal to as close to level before shooting.

Another one of my personal rules is to sit down and shoot. A low angle with create a better POV and makes the players looks bigger. It's in my eye, one of the most important rules in sports photography but many do not follow.

Easier said than done. When you're in the flurry of getting the focus right, the horizon is the least of your concerns.

Hmmm interesting - I actually did not notice the lighter bottom half until you pointed out. Really no idea how that could have gotten there. But anyway that's just a minor thing.

Dun fret on the number of shots - I'd take 10 quality shots over 100 "usable" shots anyday.

Another one of my personal rules is to sit down and shoot. A low angle with create a better POV and makes the players looks bigger. It's in my eye, one of the most important rules in sports photography but many do not follow.

Easier said than done. When you're in the flurry of getting the focus right, the horizon is the least of your concerns.

Do not understand why you can't get your horizon level. There's a reason why there is a tripod collar, its for you to align your horizons before you shoot.

Why can't you get the focus correct? Your D200 has 11 focus points, and aren't you using the AF point closest to the player with AF-continous?

Hmmm interesting - I actually did not notice the lighter bottom half until you pointed out. Really no idea how that could have gotten there. But anyway that's just a minor thing.

Dun fret on the number of shots - I'd take 10 quality shots over 100 "usable" shots anyday.
It's hard to explain with words.

Indeed. Quality over quantity.
Do not understand why you can't get your horizon level. There's a reason why there is a tripod collar, its for you to align your horizons before you shoot.

Why can't you get the focus correct? Your D200 has 11 focus points, and aren't you using the AF point closest to the player with AF-continous?

You seriously need to read things twice before you star saying anything. What I meant was no matter how much you keep your horizon straight at the start, when the game starts and when you're in the flurry of getting the action and following the action, the act of MOVING the camera will most definitely mess up the horizon. I trust that you have enough experience to know what I mean. I haven't got $1000 dollars to spend on a kick ass ball head to support my $1000 dollar lens like the others.

I said nothing about getting the focus correct or not. Are you trying to show your stalking abilities by telling me you know what camera and lens I use when I have absolutely no idea who are you? Just kidding

I use single focus point to make sure that the camera focuses on the sportsman. I tried using multi AF points when I started out, it keeps auto focusing on the trees behind.

Your Flickr portfolio states D200. Looking at your exif data, it is possible to know which lens you are using. :)