LAB color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manda

Jun 23, 2006
Singapore
www.amandaherbert.com
I'm exploring LAB color - can any one pass on their tips and tricks.

I'm reading Dan M. book on 'Photoshop LAB' and find some concepts tricky.

For example, how would you approach "applying the B channel, inverted, to the L channel in overlay mode"?

I can get as far as apply image adjustments & inverted overlay mode, but am not sure how to apply the B channel to the L channel.

Below is one of my more successful shots, go into my flickr site to find a LAB tutorial if you want to know what the heck I'm talking about :)

1496070070_fdfa7a1520.jpg

Once you converted to LAB color mode, you can use Calculations under the Edit sub-menus to apply channels to one another.
There's a few different blending mode, so you have to try which ones actually works.

Thanks for the tip - Calculations is some thing else I need to learn - looks like I'll be chained to my computer for a while!

Any other suggestions please?

Yeah, Dan's book is an interesting read huh ? I haven't gone that far though, only gone up to chapter 4 so far. Looking forward to reading more when I have time, maybe we can share tips. Yeah, as Prsimatic says, you can use the Calculations command to apply the b channel (inverted) onto the Lightness channel and choose the blending mode - but it's actually under the Image submenu in CS2 (Image->Calculations)

Here's a good site where they have a "reading group" type thing discussing each chapter of the book

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18203

Status
Not open for further replies.