[kuantoh] - Memoirs of a Geisha

kuantoh

Feb 7, 2007
Pasir Ris / Tampines
Out of touch with portraits for some time. Thanks to Redsun invite with a couple more TS butties, we had a fun studio shoot with model Loren as geisha.

Sharing a few compilations here. No impressive lighting effects or setup. No extensive PP. Any comments in any areas welcomed.

Cover Girl - Loren
5954478180_b2188a17e1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing series kuantoh!

Thanks for sharing!

very nice images as always.

The only let down is the make up for the geisha. It is half done. Sorry, it just irks me...

Regards,

Hart

Very nice images!
Only nit for me is that the model's eyes, nose and mouth are way too big/ overpowering for a traditional "geisha" look.

Last edited:
very nice images as always.

The only let down is the make up for the geisha. It is half done. Sorry, it just irks me...

Regards,

Hart

Have to agree with the make up. I suppose u r referring to the ears not being powdered, the full lipstick instead of half on the lips etc rite. Had done a bit of feedback to the MUA so hope her next geisha make up will be better ya.

Very nice images!
Only nit for me is that the model's eyes, nose and mouth are way too big/ overpowering for a traditional "geisha" look.

Thanks for dropping by. She's modern day geisha... lol... I guessed to overcome the big eyes, nose and mouth, the MUA can do more defined make up and make them smaller. The model, Loren, do have a very oriental look which makes her suitable for this role but not yet a geisha i think :)

Agree with the comments on the make-up. I don't get a Japanese feel from it. Looks more like the Joker.

Agree with the comments on the make-up. I don't get a Japanese feel from it. Looks more like the Joker.

Woah. Now Joker liao. Lol... Lacking in the Jap feel noted. But care to share how to bring out more jap feel? Props? Environment setting? Lighting?

Woah. Now Joker liao. Lol... Lacking in the Jap feel noted. But care to share how to bring out more jap feel? Props? Environment setting? Lighting?

Yes, the Joker.

Show the model and make-up artist pictures of authentic geisha. Videos too. Let them see how they move and act. Geisha have perfect hair. There is a reason why the Japanese didn't like the "Memoirs of a Geisha" movie. Check this guy out.

Flickr is a good place for research.
From Wikipedia

"Geisha sleep with their necks on small supports (takamakura), instead of pillows, so they could keep their hairstyle perfect. To reinforce this habit, their mentors would pour rice around the base of the support. If the geisha's head rolled off the support while she slept, rice would stick to the pomade in her hair. Even if there are no accidents, a maiko will need her hair styled every week. Many modern geisha use wigs in their professional lives, while maiko use their natural hair. Either must be regularly tended by highly skilled artisans. Traditional hairstyling is a slowly dying art. Over time, the hairstyle can cause balding on the top of the head."

Last edited:
Yes, the Joker.

Show the model and make-up artist pictures of authentic geisha. Videos too. Let them see how they move and act. Geisha have perfect hair. There is a reason why the Japanese didn't like the "Memoirs of a Geisha" movie. Check this guy out.

Flickr is a good place for research.
From Wikipedia

"Geisha sleep with their necks on small supports (takamakura), instead of pillows, so they could keep their hairstyle perfect. To reinforce this habit, their mentors would pour rice around the base of the support. If the geisha's head rolled off the support while she slept, rice would stick to the pomade in her hair. Even if there are no accidents, a maiko will need her hair styled every week. Many modern geisha use wigs in their professional lives, while maiko use their natural hair. Either must be regularly tended by highly skilled artisans. Traditional hairstyling is a slowly dying art. Over time, the hairstyle can cause balding on the top of the head."

Nice point abt the hair. Never knew so much effort went into the hair alone. Did some research over flickr and online for geisha pictures but authentic ones are hard to find. Probably historical pictures and records would reveal more about them. Thanks for sharing this info.

Have to agree with the make up. I suppose u r referring to the ears not being powdered, the full lipstick instead of half on the lips etc rite. Had done a bit of feedback to the MUA so hope her next geisha make up will be better ya.

Yes. Geisha make up and hair and what they do and how they move is pretty much a perfection to a degree. The face make up is 80% done, let done on the neck and ears and even the hand... It is not easy but unfortunately when the intention is Geisha then the make up let you down as it is probably the first thing that people will notice.

Again, your images are great... Just can't stand the half done make up.

Regards,

Hart