KOPITIAM does not accept cash anymore. Is this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to consider is that other than the issue of stored value cards, one of the major gripes is the inability or the forced removal of cash as a mode of payment - it would benefit everyone if there remains an option to still pay cash for the infrequent patron - so those who like the cards can get them, and those who opt to pay for cash, can do so.

catchlights said:
This is nothing new, many civil servents are given kopitiam store value card, if the card owner resign, have to return the card.

I wanted to buy the store value card sometime ago, but they have run out the card,
if you pay the food and drinks by card, you get 10% discount, it works like paying staff price for the canteen food.

I think some of you guy blow up the whole issue, you can chose not to eat there, but for someone almost eating every meals at kopitaim, this is a convenient way to them.

vince123123 said:
One thing to consider is that other than the issue of stored value cards, one of the major gripes is the inability or the forced removal of cash as a mode of payment - it would benefit everyone if there remains an option to still pay cash for the infrequent patron - so those who like the cards can get them, and those who opt to pay for cash, can do so.
kopitiam at hospitals do have both payment modes.

Yes I understand - this is the present situation. The current topic is focussed at a particular Kopitiam branch (not sure which one) which are currently testing a system where there is only one mode of payment - either pay by card, or don't eat there.

The TV news reports that if Kopitiam finds the trial tests encouraging, the solo-card system will be implemented at ALL kopitiam branches.

catchlights said:
kopitiam at hospitals do have both payment modes.

vince123123 said:
My point precisely.

There is no issue at all with the card system, but removal of cash payment?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
I seldom eat at food court, and dunno that they have this in Kopitiam... somehow, it feels like those gaming centres i used to frequent, and sometimes i go play game, i forget to bring, i buy another 1, then wasting the stored value on another... and holding 2 cards makes no sense sometimes... sometimes i just dun really bother about the perks, i just wan 2 games, gimme a 2bucks card... hehe...

but then if u ask me to buy a 10 buck card to have a 1 buck drink... can i tell them to fly kite?

you cannot tell them to fly kite, but you can walk away......if this happen in cck where I live, I will start to go to the other food courts........this needs to stop , just like the MRT where we need to purchase the store value card at 5 bucks, it's ridiculous

vince123123 said:

to me it will only make sense if they give us extra 10% or so for every 10 bucks we put in, because this is like paying in advance, there should be some benefit for the consumers to park their money there

imagine next time, we have...

1 card for Kopitiam, 1 card for S-11, ??? card for dunno which other vendors... then end of the day, my wallet will be so darn thick...

i have been using the card at suntec KPT for more almost 2 a year. no problem at all. 10% discount, $1 deposit refundable. why not? :dunno:

Here's something interesting that I just came to know today - a new legislation on payment systems and stored value facilities that came into effect recently:

I recall there were some reports where active solicitation of sale of the stored value cards at Kopitiam were done?

Payment Systems (Oversight) Act 2006:

s31(1): No person outside Singapore shall, whether by himself or through any person in Singapore, offer or invite, or issue any advertisement containing any offer or invitation to the public or any section of the public in Singapore to purchase or otherwise acquire a stored value facility or the value stored in a stored value facility, whether in Singapore or elsewhere.

s2(1):

"stored value" , in relation to a stored value facility, means the sum of money that —
(a) has been paid in advance for goods or services intended to be purchased through the use of the stored value facility;
(b) is available for use from time to time for making payment under the terms and conditions applying to the stored value facility; and
(c) is held by the holder of the stored value facility;
"stored value facility" means —
(a) a facility (other than cash), whether in physical or electronic form, which is purchased or otherwise acquired by a person (referred to in this Act as the user) to be used as a means of making payment for goods or services up to the amount of the stored value that is available for use under the terms and conditions applying to the facility, and payment for the goods or services is made by the holder of the stored value in respect of the facility (rather than by the user); or
(b) all the facilities referred to in paragraph (a) provided under the same terms and conditions;

Nevermind ignore that, Kopitiam would be excluded under the Payment Systems (Oversight) (Exemption) Regulations 2006. Oh shucks. :p

vince123123 said:
Nevermind ignore that, Kopitiam would be excluded under the Payment Systems (Oversight) (Exemption) Regulations 2006. Oh shucks. :p
Isn't there a law that says u canot remove cash as a form of medium in a transaction?
Not sure abt this. it was so long ago tt i came across tt briefly.

The Foodcourt in Jaya Jusco in Malaysia in Johor used to have this kind of no cash but card policy. I guess just too many people buy the card, buy the food, then return the card for refund...and the food court decided to kill the card.

So...if you don't like the card policy, always buy card...buy food and return card for refund immediately.

hotmilo said:
Well, I find this goes against the basic principle of buying and selling. For example, if I was to sell you an item for $2, is it right for me to ask you to pay me $5 of which I will keep the balance until you make your subsequent purchase(s) from me with small discounts thrown in and deduct accordingly thereon? I guess it wouldn't be an issue if both of us agree to the condition.

The food court will be cash rich, b'cos this is cash advance unearned income. If forget your card, too bad, get another card.

Yea, only downside is have to queue up 3 times instead of 1 time.

Kho King said:
The Foodcourt in Jaya Jusco in Malaysia in Johor used to have this kind of no cash but card policy. I guess just too many people buy the card, buy the food, then return the card for refund...and the food court decided to kill the card.

So...if you don't like the card policy, always buy card...buy food and return card for refund immediately.

Assuming if its implemented and non-frequent customers decided to go to Kopitiam to have a quick meal of just $5, does it simply mean customers have to buy a $11 (incl $1 deposit) for a $5 meal? How would it inconvience us? How would it affect TOURISTS?

I say, screw 'em. Encourage everyone to BOYCOTT all outlets that only accepts the card and go to neighbouring stalls to eat. This would send a clear message across, hit them where it hurts the most - the pocket.

Kho King said:

Well, what's that thing abt going to food courts? Go there, eat, pat ur buttocks and leave.

5mins to queue up to buy card, 5mins to buy food, 10mins to eat, 5mins to queue up and get a refund.

Instead of a 15min quick lunch and 10min walking back to office, end up having a 25min lunch and 10min walking back to office.

vince123123 said:
It is on a trial provisional basis at one branch of KopiTiam - the rest will follow suit if they receive good response there (or so the TV news said).

hmmm. sounds like ERP, more like a marketing gimmick to suck pple $$:(

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
imagine next time, we have...

1 card for Kopitiam, 1 card for S-11, ??? card for dunno which other vendors... then end of the day, my wallet will be so darn thick...

public toilet, no card sorry cannot poo or weewee or one card 4 everything ' supercard ' once lost , all ur money lost:sticktong

Status
Not open for further replies.