Kit lens decision

begintoend

Jan 23, 2010
Sengkang
Dear all, I will like to seek advice for this.

I have a kit lens 18-55. Although no big complains on this lens, but I feel limited to the focal length.
Planning to get Tamron 18-270VC as my GP lens. To avoid missing out actions on some occasions than require that focal length.
Problem now is what to do with my kit lens. :dunno:

1) Trade in and save me probably 100 off the tammy.
2) Convert to macro lens with a converter.
3) Keep as is.

I already have a 50mm to cover my potraits. My other shoots are about lanscape, events and some still abstracts.
Therefore how will bros here advice on my situation.
I like to know a bit about the macro converting on the kit lens. How advisable is this? Like trying out before dabbling into macro.

Thanks in advance

events???

You will need skill to use f/3.5-f/6.3 lens for events.

example, http://forums.vr-zone.com/otakucafe/550629-start-year-2010-soy-b-afternoon-performances.html

I took this from the end of the auditorim using mostly the 300mm range of my 75-300. F/5.6 at 300mm very dim already.

Unless you are able to get up close to use the f/3.5 at 18mm but thats more or less the same as the 18-55 kit lens.

Last edited:
Nah... I have a friend with a 17-55 f2.8 which I normally borrow from him for events like ROM, Weddings and functions.

The tammy isn't as fast as the above. For me, its more of a GP lens.

That say, I hope I'm still improving but getting busy to have chance for more shooting. Having the gears is just getting prepared. Having the skills is my efforts in my self improvement.

Cheers.

Dear all, I will like to seek advice for this.

I have a kit lens 18-55. Although no big complains on this lens, but I feel limited to the focal length.
Planning to get Tamron 18-270VC as my GP lens. To avoid missing out actions on some occasions than require that focal length.
Problem now is what to do with my kit lens. :dunno:

1) Trade in and save me probably 100 off the tammy.
2) Convert to macro lens with a converter.
3) Keep as is.

I already have a 50mm to cover my potraits. My other shoots are about lanscape, events and some still abstracts.
Therefore how will bros here advice on my situation.
I like to know a bit about the macro converting on the kit lens. How advisable is this? Like trying out before dabbling into macro.

Thanks in advance

As a convenience GP lens Tam18-270 is ok.

1. $100 is nothing nowadays. Just keep the lens.
2. It is doable but the 55-200 makes a better macro lens with the Raynox converters.
3. This will be your best choice. When you upgrade and sell your cam in the future, it will be easier to sell as a kit.

With the 50mm, and the access to a 17-55/2.8, I think you will do fine.

Welcome to CS :).
If you have the intention of getting the 18-270 as your gp lens, then not point keeping the 18-55. You are duplicating the focal length & you'll end up with the 18-270 as your favorite, then the 18-55mm will be a white elephant & moreover you have a fixed 50mm.
But if you want to keep the 18-55mm & don't mind lugging another lens with you, get the 55-200mm & like what daredevil said, get a macro filter if you are into macro shooting & still keep the 50mm.
But of course you can sell the 18-55mm to fund the 18-270mm. Ask yourself what do you really want then make the decision ;)

I would say keep the 18-55mm.

It doesnt sell for much on the B&S (about $100) anyways, and you get to have a low cost, light weight option which you can bring along whenever you are doing casual shoots.

if you want to try macro u can put raynox or close up filter to ur kit lens...
OR as what others say, keep it for casual shooting....;)

Thanks all

Like its jus a simple to keep and not to keep. Appreciate all inputs.
Read a bit abt the macro converter, seems to be quite a ok investment.

Though its will lapse into the area of a 17-250 if i get it, it will be good for standby or future sell off as kit.
Seriously $100 @ BnS really quite a joke :sweatsm:

Will try out the raynox option like many have mentioned. Haiz... cannot upgrade often with a wife supervising my hobby investment. Only 1 lens per yr. :cry:

1 lens / year???? that's difficult, try to save up secretly bro....;)