Kit Lens Can't Focus

fatigue

Sep 26, 2005
Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
forums.clubsnap.org
You have switched the lens to AF, tried to clean the contacts, focus on a subject with contrast, subject not in minimum focus distance, but still doesn't work

Tried other lens, it works

The flexible cable could be broken.
Here's how to fix:

1. Remove the 6 screws indicated by red arrows

1-6.jpg

2. Gently lift the mount and slowly remove the cable. Then remove the spacer/s

2-5.jpg

3. Pull the flexible cables one by one, a toothpick is a good tool to pull these cables, remove the AF/MF switch by gently pushing the catch indicated by yellow arrows, remove the PCB, the PCB is just supported with 3 rubber supports (encircled in pink)

3-3.jpg

Last edited:
4. Remove the 2 screws (encircled in pink) to remove the motor assembly

4-2.jpg

5. Remove the 2 screws (encircled in pink) to remove brush encoder (green arrow).
remove the broken cable (red arrow shows the damage)

5-6.jpg

6. Replacement cable is available in ebay at ~S$6.00

6-4.jpg

Last edited:
Note: During assembly, turn the focus to infinity (this is the position where the lens is at it's shortest)
the encoder brush should sit on the indicated green line

7-2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome work!

Although I still feel a little intimidated to try it our myself on the “manual focus” kit lens i have. :(

Hi. would like to ask. I have a 17-85 lens which it can focus when the lens is zoom out (take sometime to lock on or sometimes wont lock) and when zoom in, it totally cant lock. The lens kept trying to find a focus point but cant. Can i fix it using the same method?

Thanks for sharing... !

Hi. would like to ask. I have a 17-85 lens which it can focus when the lens is zoom out (take sometime to lock on or sometimes wont lock) and when zoom in, it totally cant lock. The lens kept trying to find a focus point but cant. Can i fix it using the same method?

The cause of the problem is different. Usually, you just need to clean a sensor (GMR), but needs quite a number of components to dismantle.

is there a DIY method? or isit too risky for a noob to clean it? if send for repair, about how much will it cost?

and just to add, if i zoom in and in MF mode and i adjust the focus ring, it will still lock it its in focus.

dang, failed already with first 6 screws. 2 are veeeery small and my smallest driver is still too big

This is great tut and tip, it would be perfect if you could update with required tools and size of screwdrivers :)

dang, failed already with first 6 screws. 2 are veeeery small and my smallest driver is still too big

This is great tut and tip, it would be perfect if you could update with required tools and size of screwdrivers :)

PH0 for the 4 screws for mount
PH000 for the 2 screws that hold the contact terminal

is there a DIY method? or isit too risky for a noob to clean it? if send for repair, about how much will it cost?

and just to add, if i zoom in and in MF mode and i adjust the focus ring, it will still lock it its in focus.

Risky for newbies. I just received the same lens opened by someone. Some screws are mixed up, torn flexible cable, some missing screws. But there some guys who were successful in fixing their lenses based on tutorials posted on the net. :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much, I understand the cause & how to fix it. But, I'm afraid to try - Thanks again for my 6months+ problem diagnosis :)

Is there any way to micro-adjust the focus on the lens, rather than the body? (I know that the 50D has this function but the 60D does not.)

Would anyone like to share how the focus on the lens can be micro-adjusted, rather than the camera?

HI, can PM me the link for the flex cable? thanks

Very helpful and detailed description. Never did anything like this on a camera component but I'm up for giving it a go. If it doesn't work I can just buy a new one I suppose. Is there a difference between the flex cable for the IS version and the non IS version? Don't want to buy the wrong one on e-bay. If you could advise me that'd be great, thanks......

Very helpful and detailed description. Never did anything like this on a camera component but I'm up for giving it a go. If it doesn't work I can just buy a new one I suppose. Is there a difference between the flex cable for the IS version and the non IS version? Don't want to buy the wrong one on e-bay. If you could advise me that'd be great, thanks......

yes, different cables

anybody tried? i realize the screw are super tight!