Kick Start for a DSLR user..

Status
Not open for further replies.

lceaaron

Aug 23, 2008
Hi everyone,

As i decided to take up photography as a serious hobby, I have just upgrade my compact camera to a Nikon D40... I would like everyone's advice on how can i kick start on my journey in the photography world? Is there any books or useful information/tips or workshops that everyone can share with me on how can i fully utilize my DSLR camera to take good pictures since i am quite a newbie in photography world? ;p

Thank you everyone for everyone's advice..... :)

I'm a D40 user too.
Join Flickr's group for d40/x - http://www.flickr.com/groups/d40/ or other related groups available.
Browse thru 1001s of photos in flickr or elsewhere, study those pics analyse, take yours and compare.

...and keep shooting. Good luck!

As i decided to take up photography as a serious hobby, I have just upgrade my compact camera to a Nikon D40... I would like everyone's advice on how can i kick start on my journey in the photography world? Is there any books or useful information/tips or workshops that everyone can share with me on how can i fully utilize my DSLR camera to take good pictures since i am quite a newbie in photography world? ;p

just shoot, and be honest with yourself whether the results are good

look at more good photos.. and that's about it actually. just devour all the photography books and magazines you can find in the library.. skip all the silly equipment reviews. cheers and welcome!

congrats on getting yr new DSLR!:)

there are tons of photography books in the various national libraries that are really useful for beginners.;)

Of course, bearing in mind what entropy_h said. No point learning in a vacuum without practise!

Oh yes yes, Dun keep buying. Keep shooting...even if the photos turn out crap. =)

Hi, I am seriously guilty of buy buy buy n no shooting. Just got a D40 n less than 1 month old. Still have not done any serious learning shots but have already brought a 55-200mm lens, an Akarui 23l dry cabi, a lowepro bag and now thinking of getting the 18-135 lens and SB600 flash.

Must take the camera out with me during work days to try out some shots. :confused:

Welcome welcome!!!

Hi, I am seriously guilty of buy buy buy n no shooting. Just got a D40 n less than 1 month old. Still have not done any serious learning shots but have already brought a 55-200mm lens, an Akarui 23l dry cabi, a lowepro bag and now thinking of getting the 18-135 lens and SB600 flash.

Must take the camera out with me during work days to try out some shots. :confused:

You already have 18-55 kit lens and 55-200mm lens, so why think about getting the 18-135?
The 18-55 is a great walkabout lens, and it's likely that the 55-200 might only be used occasionally. Do you often zoom till 55mm then wish you had more reach? Since you hardly shoot, I doubt it.
You should take more photos first, then only when you find that your gear limits your photo-taking in some way, THEN go and buy additional lenses and accessories. The same goes for your intended SB600. Only buy when there is a need.

welcome, welcome :).

D40 users out there, perhaps very soon, u will tink that u ve outgrown your camera and want to upgrade to something more capable.

good news for u.

u can print out the following article. the moment u tink of doing anything funny, read it immediately.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Yup! Will stop buying now and go take pictures with my new investment. The 18-135 in my opinion is also not neccessary. Thanks for the advice guys. Time to practise. Happy snapping everybody. :)

shoot!!!
and let us know your results!
pls also feel free to upload for comments. ;)

Hi everyone,

Thank you everyone for everyone's advice..... :)

Welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.