Kenko PRO 2X w 70-200vr

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Mar 17, 2002
north
Visit site
hi,

anyone have any ever tried using a 70-200vr w 2x kenko PRO tele convertors? if yes, or you have see, hows the image quality? still good? thanks!

hi,

anyone have any ever tried using a 70-200vr w 2x kenko PRO tele convertors? if yes, or you have see, hows the image quality? still good? thanks!

personally i find the image quality with this combo still good.

but the 70-200 will become a f5.6 lens (if i calculated the light loss correctly)... ie - outdoor, bright daylight lens liao. AFAIK, kenko only has the 1.4x and 2x, and nothing in between. sigh... :(

i tried the 1.4x on the 70-200 b4. still acceptable for a 3rd party in terms of sharpness and colour reproduction. this was taken using this combo recently at the zoo. :)

orangutan1.jpg

but the 70-200 will become a f5.6 lens (if i calculated the light loss correctly)... ie - outdoor, bright daylight lens liao. AFAIK, kenko only has the 1.4x and 2x, and nothing in between. sigh... :(

i tried the 1.4x on the 70-200 b4. still acceptable for a 3rd party in terms of sharpness and colour reproduction. this was taken using this combo recently at the zoo. :)

orangutan1.jpg

:thumbsup: bokeh!

:bsmilie:

orangutan1.jpg

i have tried the tamron sp 1.4x w 70-200. the IQ is considered good to me, from F4 above.

thought of getting a 2x. 400/5.6 is still reasonable i think. at iso 400 w vR, should be able to get away w some handshake...:sweat:

hi,

I'm using this combo, to me the image tend to be soft (edge not as sharp compared to w/o) and less saturated. The focusing speed is very obviously slowed down (even with CAM2000 & SWM). IQ ia quite OK under bright sun or using for macro shots with flash.
If IQ is important to you, strongly advise to use only 1.4X (which IQ is not obvious of much deterioration).
If you must use 2X, then I beileve the above downgrade is unavoidable; whichever the brand, the result will only be slightly differ.

hi,

Hi,
I've the above combi, to me image quality is acceptable.

RobertJrCopy.jpg

I am using it with a 2x nikon tc, and I would advise against it, or any other tc.
AF is slow at the tele end and image quality @ f5.6 is quite unusable, only @ f8-f11 does the combo start to sharpen up. Not a problem if you have good lighting, but if you are going to use it for nature photography, this may not always be the case, espcially when sunlight is obscured by thick vegetation.
AF hunting is also VERY much noticeably increased.

I am using it with a 2x nikon tc, and I would advise against it, or any other tc.
AF is slow at the tele end and image quality @ f5.6 is quite unusable, only @ f8-f11 does the combo start to sharpen up. Not a problem if you have good lighting, but if you are going to use it for nature photography, this may not always be the case, espcially when sunlight is obscured by thick vegetation.
AF hunting is also VERY much noticeably increased.

thanks...you have just confirmed my concerns.;)

thanks...you have just confirmed my concerns.;)

But of course it's the cheapest way to get to 400mm !

I have got a few decent shots by upping the iso / in good light:
74501602-M.jpg

[edit : added this "spacer" line]
94058289-M.jpg

But it's terrible once the light level falls too far.

But of course it's the cheapest way to get to 400mm !

I have got a few decent shots by upping the iso / in good light:
74501602-M.jpg

[edit : added this "spacer" line]
94058289-M.jpg

But it's terrible once the light level falls too far.

Still pretty decent I must say. Can you post a 100% crop detail of the birds' head for us to see?

Here we go:

Here's the one for the yellow vented bulbul;
I won't bother with the other as i shot it as iso1250 so it's pretty noisy @ 100%

99438437-L.jpg

Wow...,

The quality not as bad as I thought on using tele converter. So, if Nikon TC can't fit or help, there is always 3rd party TC come to rescue :thumbsup: .

Regards,
Arto.

It was shot @ f10 though. No chance of getting such quality @ f5.6
Thankfully the 70-200vr is darned sharp to start with
It is prob one of the few zoom lenses that can be used with a TC. - But of course, good (to be interpreted as BRIGHT) lighting is a must!

So far it is the best option for cheap wildlife photography. Can upgrade when have enough money.

Status
Not open for further replies.