Keep your SLR after getting your DSLR?

Keep your SLR after getting a DSLR?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, as you can see for yourself, it's the turnover time as well the advantage to "chimp" at the shots instanteously to get the best lighting and pose that won the perference.

Yeah, there are still many who prefer/ request for film based photography but then again, the numbers are dwindling. once in a while, I do use film to cover a wedding but only as a backup :)

For the person asking "why still use film when you have a DSLR" ... try this experiment ... take a digital pic, and one on slide film,of the same subject in similar conditions. Project both on a screen ... then you'll see why.

On a well-exposed slide, the dynamic range will blow your socks off ... digital is still not quite there, that I'm aware of.

My current shooting pattern is digital for "record" and "experiment" shots, and slide film for the "keepers".

Of cos,

Can't compare shooting slides and traditinal B&W with shooting digital...

seeking more comments :D

Me too. I still prefer slides and negative then digital. But then sometimes it's no choice that client wants digital.

leadwe said:
speaking of weddings, just wondering how many here still use SLR to cover weddings despite having DSLR? My sense is not many..... Or is there anyone who covers wedding with SLR still? Personally, I know of a friend who does but recently for all the weddings that I attended lately, all the photographers are carrying DSLR.

Yes, 'cos there's still demand for film.

I sold my film bodies in order to get cash for the DSLR because a DSLR is more cost effective for my assignments. I would get a film body though sometime in the near future for those time when I need to go extremely wide.

I won't go into the merits of which is better. I still like film as I am too lazy to post process :D

That is also the reason why I sold my DSLR off :p

SniperD said:
one day must organise a "FILM-ONLY-SHOOT"... hahahah... :D
refresher course ;p

The medium isn't the crux of this whole shooting game. When you are out doing it, you should only concentrate on what image to get, not where to put them on. The latter choice should be long decided.

So, no need for refresher course. ;p

haven't got a DSLR but even if i do.....i won't sell off my manual cameras. why? coz you can use interchangeable prism for macro shots (Nikon F3) whereas you can't do that with DSLR! as for my FA, it is easy to carry around on light days..... film cameras have survived the test of time....where as DSLR is still young....?????

digging an old thread for more responses..... ;D

Absolutely! I never get rid of my film cameras. They have a special feel to it. Besides I started photography with them so a bit sentimental. I stil keep my old Canon EF, Minolta, etc.

leadwe said:
speaking of weddings, just wondering how many here still use SLR to cover weddings despite having DSLR? My sense is not many..... Or is there anyone who covers wedding with SLR still? Personally, I know of a friend who does but recently for all the weddings that I attended lately, all the photographers are carrying DSLR.

i still shoot wedding with my f100.......need the B&W from film rather than digital. :)

In order to answer this question, I first need to own a SLR, then a DSLR then I can answer. :)

But in the few weddings I've been to, I've all seen digital more than film :)

espn said:
But in the few weddings I've been to, I've all seen digital more than film :)

I agree... I have been helping as a backup photographer for 3 weddings and so far, all of the main photographers used DSLR. For every shot I took, he took about 5. :sweat:

quality: me not picky, coz digital quality, home printing, all already v gd for me liaoz.

instant gratification: a must . life is unhealthy without chimping. i believe that to control the urge to chimp is like trying to control your most basic human instincts. something like delayign a toilet break, delaying a chance to pursue your dream hobby, delaying a chance to earn money, delaying the decision to hit the gym and lose that flab...etc etc. delaying is definitely not healthy. :)

however for film enthusiasts, i salute them for taking the time to pursue their passion :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.