Kana Poison - Upgrading DSLR advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheltie_prince

Sep 16, 2004
Sigh..... Have been using my 400D for sometime now... Am targeting to upgrade my equipments since I have more usage for them.... like events, kids, family, outdoor and indoor functions....

The dilemma is should I go for a 50D brand new OR a pre-owned 5D (before mk II.. eh.. mk I?? ;p) assuming the slight price difference negligible.

What do you guys think?

I am also in the market to get a 70-200mm f2.8L IS.

The only 'expensive' lens I have on hand was the 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM EF-S lens WHICH cannot be used on a 5D, so that adds to the 'issue'. However, if I were to get a 5D, then I will sell this lens and get a 24-70mm f2.8 as well...

Oh yes.. another thing is I will also be upgrading my 550EX for the 580EX II regardless which body I am getting.. hehehehe
ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE ADVICE..... :dunno:

Last edited:
the 50d is about $1.5k, while getting the 5d used will cost you around $2k.

i don't know if $500 is 'negligible' to you, but i can tell you that moving from aps-c to full frame is a big and enjoyable difference.

A used 5D costs around 2k, selling the 17-55mm alone will offset your expenses by at least 1k. Personally, I would get the 5D instead of the 50D, if its a matter of time that I'll itch for a FF cam.

same old advice for this same old question posted by many - do u need the FF goodness? if not, stick with wat u have cos the lens replacement costs is rather prohibitive.

Do also note the AF issue on 5d. It hunts quite a bit, esp under low light. Not that this is prohibitive since many folks have lived with it, just that comparing the xx series and 5d there will be quite a difference if you're shooting fast pace events =)

do you get paid for those events, outdoor and indoor functions?
What kind of events are those?

perhaps, you can tell us a bit more so that we can advise better?

AS always, there is a high level of subjectivity in the suggestions. Perhaps a clearer profile of your shooting preferences will help ? Since money doesn't look like too much of an issue based on the number of things you want to get there on short notice ? :dunno:

If you prefer the faster, snappier shooting for events, people etc, the 50D will be an obvious choice. But if you a preference and confidence of taking 'controlled' shots, at a slower pace, wider perspective and greater DOF control, then a FF would be a 'nicer' camera to have. Though honestly, it would be better to look at the 5DmkII if you're in the market for a FF. The difference IS significant to the MkI.

50D is an excellent camera if used right and for focal length challenged situations like birding. And it has a decent framerate to boot. 6.7fps versus 3fps for the 5D, 3.9 fps for 5DmkII. But the DOF control is much greater on a FF camera. So, depends on what you want to give up. The AF of the 50D(supposedly same as the 40D which I had) is better than the 5D (and supposedly identical in the 5DmkII) in poor lighting conditions. I found the 40D (similarly the 50D should too) to be more suited for sports shooting compared to the 5DmkII too.

To each his own, as I mentioned above, a clearer profile of what you should more frequently and shotting styles will aid in the quality of suggestions given.

Last edited:
If you want to be faster in front of chilfren during indoor events, may i suggest you use your 50mm/1,8 on your 400D before you go and buy 70-200mm/2,8 L IS and 50D or 5D. Note that if you use your equipment to picture your family & kids and only print your photos at 6"x4" and up to 12"x8" sizes, IMHO, there is no need to buy a full frame camera, and there is no need neither to upgrade 550EX flash for 580EX II.

If the on-board flash is not an issue then I would suggest to take 5D, if $ not a problem then MKII. And as you using it for indoor events then get 580EXII.

Then sell away ur EFS 17-55 and get EF 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8.

same old advice for this same old question posted by many - do u need the FF goodness? if not, stick with wat u have cos the lens replacement costs is rather prohibitive.
No.. FF is not a NEED... but since I am capping the budget on a replacement body for my 400D at $2,000, the 5D MKI came to mind since its within that range now....

do you get paid for those events, outdoor and indoor functions?
What kind of events are those?
perhaps, you can tell us a bit more so that we can advise better?
Nope.. its volunteered.... Well.. I am hoping that it may lead to that though.
I did two paid assignments for wedding lah.. but its rather some time back b4 the kids arrive

AS always, there is a high level of subjectivity in the suggestions. Perhaps a clearer profile of your shooting preferences will help ? Since money doesn't look like too much of an issue based on the number of things you want to get there on short notice ? :dunno:

If you prefer the faster, snappier shooting for events, people etc, the 50D will be an obvious choice. But if you a preference and confidence of taking 'controlled' shots, at a slower pace, wider perspective and greater DOF control, then a FF would be a 'nicer' camera to have. Though honestly, it would be better to look at the 5DmkII if you're in the market for a FF. The difference IS significant to the MkI.

50D is an excellent camera if used right and for focal length challenged situations like birding. And it has a decent framerate to boot. 6.7fps versus 3fps for the 5D, 3.9 fps for 5DmkII. But the DOF control is much greater on a FF camera. So, depends on what you want to give up. The AF of the 50D(supposedly same as the 40D which I had) is better than the 5D (and supposedly identical in the 5DmkII) in poor lighting conditions. I found the 40D (similarly the 50D should too) to be more suited for sports shooting compared to the 5DmkII too.

To each his own, as I mentioned above, a clearer profile of what you should more frequently and shotting styles will aid in the quality of suggestions given.
More for kids(indoor and outdoor), school events(indoor & outdoor), portfolio work for education institution / company (outdoor), magazine work.

If you want to be faster in front of chilfren during indoor events, may i suggest you use your 50mm/1,8 on your 400D before you go and buy 70-200mm/2,8 L IS and 50D or 5D. Note that if you use your equipment to picture your family & kids and only print your photos at 6"x4" and up to 12"x8" sizes, IMHO, there is no need to buy a full frame camera, and there is no need neither to upgrade 550EX flash for 580EX II.
Tried that and used it many times. But as my home lightings are halogen and warm white lighting (spa / resort home theme), the 1.8 do have a limitation on the 40D(so it seems). I've used it on a 40D of my friends and it does produce more better results.. u guys agree???
I do feel the AI has a limitation on the 400D where it can't capture moving images well and efficiently (fast enough). Of course the images captured on the f1.8 is way ahead of the 17-55mm f2.8 when it is taken indoors, at night, normal lighting. But chances are also I don't use flash too much... why upgrade the 550EX? Well... lets say I am trying to take advantage of the possibilty to upgrade my equipment to make it more current so that I can enjoy another 3-4 yrs with it?
Yes the primary purpose is for family, u can say that but I am a techie who likes to 'upgrade happy meal' time to time. Certain 'Kodak' moments are priceless and I am hoping not to miss those.
I am not too bothered about using my equipments to make money... but its always a thought though.. hahahaha
Oh yes, I don't do much PP unless its a photo I really really love.....

If the on-board flash is not an issue then I would suggest to take 5D, if $ not a problem then MKII. And as you using it for indoor events then get 580EXII.

Then sell away ur EFS 17-55 and get EF 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8.
Ya.. that would be the IDEAL solution but married brothers here would know, some things ah, the CFO will make loads of noise if I 'over-do' it... Of course if I do get the 5D, then I will have to sell my EF-S lens... But then buying a 5D MKI may not be a good investment for 4ys+ since its about 2/3yrs back that the 5D MK1 came out right...

Thanks for all the comments.......
I am trying to weigh which considerations should take precedences over others where it comes to 'technology'

Keep em coming...

Appreciate it if anyone is gona criticise, then pls stay away.... I don't condone anyone who 'slam or flame' ppl for seeking opinion but I definitely believe my qns are a first, dun ask me to do a search first etc....

Last edited:
Ya.. that would be the IDEAL solution but married brothers here would know, some things ah, the CFO will make loads of noise if I 'over-do' it... Of course if I do get the 5D, then I will have to sell my EF-S lens... But then buying a 5D MKI may not be a good investment for 4ys+ since its about 2/3yrs back that the 5D MK1 came out right...

:bsmilie: agree. i think this is the biggest barrier. If you overcome this...the sky is the limit. there's personal pref also.i don't like to buy 2nd hand stuffs most of the time. and considering 5D is an older model and is really hard to find a relatively new set.so i take the plunge for a 5D2. sell my old stuffs get some lens. and then the poison got worse after...

buying a 50D is cheaper by 500 (you get a brand new camera and unmolested by 10k or more on shuttle count for most 2nd hand 5D etc) and money save can use to buy another lens. u get to keep your 1755 also. is not a bad ideal either if you are not gonna change to FF.

:bsmilie: agree. i think this is the biggest barrier. If you overcome this...the sky is the limit. there's personal pref also.i don't like to buy 2nd hand stuffs most of the time. and considering 5D is an older model and is really hard to find a relatively new set.so i take the plunge for a 5D2. sell my old stuffs get some lens. and then the poison got worse after...

buying a 50D is cheaper by 500 (you get a brand new camera and unmolested by 10k or more on shuttle count for most 2nd hand 5D etc) and money save can use to buy another lens. u get to keep your 1755 also. is not a bad ideal either if you are not gonna change to FF.

Hahah u must really have a way to vercome the CFO. Hahaha and pretty successful judging on yr kit. Hahahha must teach me a Thing or two.
The problem for me is I too have another expensive hobby.... Watch collecting. So that adds a barrier somehow. Hahahha
thanks for givng me yr take buddy. Ü

Hahah u must really have a way to vercome the CFO. Hahaha and pretty successful judging on yr kit. Hahahha must teach me a Thing or two.
The problem for me is I too have another expensive hobby.... Watch collecting. So that adds a barrier somehow. Hahahha
thanks for givng me yr take buddy. Ü

Simple...Buy first...sleep in living room for a few days:flame:...then buy present to offer to the CFO...hahaha just kidding... i slowly buy...and the key is take picture already i show her then boast the quality(you know la..most CFO not gadget type)..she can't tell my lens diff cause all black..except when i got that damn white lens..straight away she saw sthg unsual in the dry cab.

watch collecting? lose liao la...i know some collectors..one bloody watch can buy my gear at least 3-4 set...even had one wearing a damn watch that easily cost a evo easily on his damn hand. you can consider collecting canon L lens from the 800mmL downward then but sadly they don't appreciate like your watches does :bsmilie:

50D with yr current 17-55 IS..and yr 550EX will be good enuff IMO.

5D is too slow for fast paced events.

I use the 400D for a while, but finds that it is deficient in the ISO department. And of course, as I agree with you, the advantages of having a FF are always staring at us right in the face.
I believe, as a Father with child/children, you would derive loads of pleasure with shooting portraits of them.
And that's where I feel that the FF 5D or 5DMkII would be ideal as the sensors does do a much better job.
Here, my opinion is that the 5D series is a great asset to any man.
The 580ExII? Very good. Another worthwhile investment.
The 70-200? Really good for portraiture. But it's heavy and after carrying for a while, your elbow may start to protest.
... after saying all that, IMHO, I would say go for the 5D (if possible MkII), the 70-200 f2.8. If you want, can also take the 580ExII one shot too lah...

Flash will sometimes fire too powerfully even when metering was done on the correct spot. Saw an acquaintance's using it recently.

your title read "kana Poison"... so what or who is poisoning you?

just BBB...:angel:

no nn to think so much..help the economy..:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.