k200d or k10d?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notone

Nov 12, 2003
biopolis
planning a upgrade from Ds.
now it seems a 2nd hand k10d and k200d are of same price liao.
I love the smaller size and AA batt of 200d, but 10d should be of semi-pro with better spec, such as image quality and AF speed (maybe+ continious shots).
So could you share some exp and opinion with me if you have tried both of them?
thank you!

[I have a few zooms and primes and fire a few almost every week, for family events or for fun:), the most often used one is 35-80! color and sharpness are OK but dirty cheap! I (or other family members) can use it with little care, haha]

Had the same dilemma as you too not too long ago. I got a 2nd hand GX10( a K10D) instead, coz of the interchangeable focusing screen which i changed to those china-made ones with split focus, and also coz of the brighter pentaprism finder. This choice is primarily due to the fact i like to use manual and old(dirt cheap too!) lenses. Being a specs wearer, the viewfinder portion is impt to me.

So unless u have the same concerns as me, I think a K200D would be a better choice for you since you are already so used to the convenience of AA batts. A K200D is also 'newer' and more current. An used K10d would probably be in a worse cosmetic/functional condition than an used K200D, all things being equal.

Rgds

go for k200d. better noise handling on sensor. the only issue is probably with the layouts and battery, but i think it is null.

Upgrading from DS, one difference you will notice is the SR. I'd get too comfortable with the SR and forget that I'm using a DS sometimes. The bigger and nicer colours seen on the LCD screens.

Like you mentioned, if you like smaller size and AA battery, go for K200D. Other than scene modes, the K200D did have some new features not in K10D. AF speed for both cameras are probably the same, continious shots, the fps is not much of a difference. The K200D probably have better image quality out of camera but image quality on both cameras can be tweaked.

Thank you for all the kind replies!!!
Go K200d!
temp to get higher grade body but maynot make good use of it, now make up my mind.

my Ds still works great for me:< tried canon entry level one, the build is poorer than my Ds la, haha

Hi,
I was in your situation some 2 months ago. I purchased the K10D 2nd hand from CS b/s.

K10D has a bigger brighter viewfinder, though the difference might not be so much. I tried my friend's sony a200 last week and find its viewfinder comparable to mine even though its supposed to be smaller.
For me I like a medium sized camera and K10 is just nice.

I think in the pentax b/s there are quite a few K10 selling, prices are lower than ever too.

Cheers

Actually the camera to upgrade to is definitely the K20D, especially looking at the price of the 2 cameras in the B&S section.

I used to have a K10D and actually contemplated getting the K200D. Glad I got the K20D because the camera is a quantum leap over either the K200D or K10D.

Anyway here's why the K20D is hands down better than either the K200D or K10D:

1) No back or front focusing issues (a K10D bugbear).
If there were any, you can adjust it yourself
2) Better AF
3) Better WB control
4) Better resolution and dynamic range from the great sensor
5) Better noise control, especially at high ISOs
6) Colour rendition is better, no more oversaturated reds typical of CCD sensors
7) Jpegs are better straight from the camera
8) Bigger LCD monitor that can be calibrated
9) Better battery life
10) The intervalometer is fun to use
11) Live View may not be perfect but it's there should you need it
12) Quieter shutter

k20d indeed very fun... but even jumping form k100d to k20d .. at the first few weeks was not easy ... lots of thing you have to custom ... but once you got the hang of it ...my real photography lesson started from the day I got my K20D...

Status
Not open for further replies.