K-X or K-7 for my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the K-7 then, to be safe. The high iso isn't as good as K-x, but it's not too bad. If not good enough with that then bring a tripod and shoot low iso :)

Here's an idea... how about both the K7 and the K-x... these two bodies can use lenses interchangeably. You get the best of both worlds (ruggedness and high ISO capability)... plus the fact that if the K-x also works as well in the conditions that the K7 does... you also will have a back-up body!

Or imagine having a nice fast prime on one and a zoom on the other! No need to change lenses in drastic conditions if you are basically going to be using a pair of lenses.

Do ponder over this. You could always sell of the K-x later if it doesn't suit your needs very well without much loss.

different people different requirements. I doubt the K7 can match the K20D`s toughness imo. Its like comparing a 1D with the 5D...same job just different ways of doing it.

i myself still waiting for a pro body spec`ed camera with swivel lcd..

Come on bro, K7 has metal casing w/ metal body, K20 is still, you know, a plastic body. There are a few cases that the mount plate came off or cracked from the body on K20D, but this won't happen w/ K7. And you know what, K7 has probably the best shutter on the market (from some inside source) :) Don't be fooled by the small size of K7, it's a much more capable camera than K20D.

PentaxK7_30.jpg

You probably can use K20D under some extreme weather condition, but K-7 was the only camera (currently available on the market) that was designed and made to be able to work properly (at least Pentax dare to claim so) at temperature of as low as -10C:

K7_Snow.jpg

K7 has better weather sealing too:

K7_Russian.jpg

I don't wanna go on and on about all these again. If you still think K20D or K10D is better built than K7, I can only say that you don't know much about K7 ;)

Last edited:
Here's an idea... how about both the K7 and the K-x... these two bodies can use lenses interchangeably. You get the best of both worlds (ruggedness and high ISO capability)... plus the fact that if the K-x also works as well in the conditions that the K7 does... you also will have a back-up body!

Or imagine having a nice fast prime on one and a zoom on the other! No need to change lenses in drastic conditions if you are basically going to be using a pair of lenses.

Do ponder over this. You could always sell of the K-x later if it doesn't suit your needs very well without much loss.

Would love for that too. But only have enough for one if I'm going to want some lenses. :)

Come on bro, K7 has metal casing w/ metal body, K20 is still, you know, a plastic body. There are a few cases that the mount plate came off or cracked from the body on K20D, but this won't happen w/ K7. And you know what, K7 has probably the best shutter on the market (from some inside source) :) Don't be fooled by the small size of K7, it's a much more capable camera than K20D.

PentaxK7_30.jpg

You probably can use K20D under some extreme weather condition, but K-7 was the only camera (currently available on the market) that was designed and made to be able to work properly (at least Pentax dare to claim so) at temperature of as low as -10C:

K7_Snow.jpg

K7_Russian.jpg

I don't wanna go on and on about all these again. If you still think K20D or K10D is better built than K7, I can only say that you don't know much about K7 ;)
so other then pics is there actually a video where after going through all that....the K7 still works?

With such exciting pictures...should have a video somewhere right? Pretty silly if they go through all that trouble to take such nice promo pictures but neglect to take a video of it actually working. Now that would be the coup the grace against any competition around its pricepoint.

I may not know much about the K7...but i do know more about my K20D ever since i got it. what it can do and what to do about things it cannot do.

anyway it all depends on the TS`s budget if can get a K7.....if not, the K10D and K20D for the price are incredibly value for money for an all weather dslr.

Last edited:
so other then pics is there actually a video where after going through all that....the K7 still works?

With such exciting pictures...should have a video somewhere right? Pretty silly if they go through all that trouble to take such nice promo pictures but neglect to take a video of it actually working. Now that would be the coup the grace against any competition around its pricepoint.

So you need video evidence... hmm, why don't you get a K-7 (now selling at a nice price, you can trade-in your nice and clean K20D) and you can be the first to repeat your "wash K20D camera under the shower" video clip. That should clear up all your doubts and you'll be the first to come up with the video for it. You'll be doing everyone a favor.

I may not know much about the K7...but i do know more about my K20D ever since i got it. what it can do and what to do about things it cannot do.
If you haven't even tried out the K-7, don't even come up with comments like "I doubt the K7 can match the K20D`s toughness imo" because everyone who has put the K-7 through its paces will know that you're talking rubbish cause you got no basis for any comparison nor proof to back up your claim.

youtube for some of the extreme test video. so simple. there's was also an example of a guy falling into the sea with his k7 + AF540. the AF540 fried but nothing happened to his k7..

So you think these talks about weather sealing and cold resistant are just nonsense if w/o video as proof? Come on, you are not a kid, aren't ya :D

So far, Pentax K-7 is the ONLY digital camera that claims to have an operating temperature below -10C. Of course, many other camera’s can perform below -10C too, but no other camera manufacturer has dared to claim that their cameras cannot only work, but perform at its full potential below freezing temperature.

Then how you'd claim K20D is tougher than K7?

anyway it all depends on the TS`s budget if can get a K7.....if not, the K10D and K20D for the price are incredibly value for money for an all weather dslr.

The TS didn't ask for K10D or K20D, but Kx and K7 only. Which means he can afford K7 if he wants to. And for his needs (very cold weather and dusty condition), K7 is definitely an alot better choice than Kx.

"Now watch this! I'll even put the flash on and show you that this will still work, now that is weather sealing! Buy a Pentax!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9mBbo92Ik

Last edited:

PentaxK7_30.jpg

For all we know the K7 may just give way at the seams where it is made of plastic .... like the LCDs, the SD door cover, the battery cover, etc .............

But then again how many of us here would subject our precious cameras to such extreme conditions .... and even if so, how often? :p

Does the k7 battery grip bg4 have the magnesium alloy skeleton?

Nope it doesn't have, it's plastic but with weather sealing
I see. Thanks. Would it feel abit unbalance, given the density difference? It would be nice if the grip is made of magnesium alloy, especially given its rather high price.

I see. Thanks. Would it feel abit unbalance, given the density difference? It would be nice if the grip is made of magnesium alloy, especially given its rather high price.

Actually it doesn't feel unbalanced at all since k-7 is just a teeny weeny little camera, center of gravity doesn't change that much. Thus, it adds up to the balance since you'll have more room to grip on. :)

no big deal with video..

people will still say, oh , this particular copy can take it, who's to say the other one can't?

there is a trust that it will still work. you don't exactly see videos showing how great particular car's brake or suspension system is, right?

But then again how many of us here would subject our precious cameras to such extreme conditions .... and even if so, how often? :p

not the most extreme..

but quite extreme.. seawater, cold weather in the countryside with snow falling all around..

my k20d still working fine. and that's without weathersealed lenses. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.