K-mount lenses with pentax istDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEki

Jan 15, 2006
Hi,
a friend gave me helios 44m 58/2 lens ... u have to manualy adjust the AV on the lens ...
the problem is that the aperature is always on 2! even thought if i set it to any other aperature!
articulos_427_967_275x.jpeg

is there a way, to make this lens work the right way?

thx

HEki said:
Hi,
a friend gave me helios 44m 58/2 lens ... u have to manualy adjust the AV on the lens ...
the problem is that the aperature is always on 2! even thought if i set it to any other aperature!

thx

Is this PK or M42?

i am sorry, but you have lost me :dunno:
it is this lens helios 44-m-4 58/2, but i dunno if it is pk or m42 ... i dont think it is m42, but i am not sure!

HEki said:
i am sorry, but you have lost me :dunno:
it is this lens helios 44-m-4 58/2, but i dunno if it is pk or m42 ... i dont think it is m42, but i am not sure!

hi HEkiji

anymore picture of the the len. a back view would be good as we csn help to confirm the mount of the len.

cheer

1.jpg

2.jpg

are this good enought?

Can you set aperture manually and do some test shoot?
HEki said:
Hi,

thx

well u have to adjust the aperature on the lens, u cant control it on the camera ...
but the aperature is always the same, even if i set it to 16 and i take a picture, the aperature is 2! like that little thing is blocking the aperature from closing ...
:dunno:

do you mean the readout on the lcd is 2 or the aperture blades never move at all?

Sticky blades maybe?

HEki said:
well u have to adjust the aperature on the lens, u cant control it on the camera ...
but the aperature is always the same, even if i set it to 16 and i take a picture, the aperature is 2! like that little thing is blocking the aperature from closing ...
:dunno:

Lemme confirm if it is like this:

Cam in AV mode. U set aperture at f2. Meter is 1/180. Then u set aperture at f16. Meter is still 1/180 meaning it is not stopped down. If that is the case, set cam in M mode and press the ael buttom at f2 and f16. Are the readings different? If this is the case, It juz means u have a non-A lens that cannot do AV besides wide open.

If in M mode and f2 and f16 gives the same result after u press the ael button, this means the shutter blades are likely stuck.

:bigeyes:

it works :thumbsup: :heart: but it works just in M mode, in Av :thumbsd:
thx man ... so that ae-l button adjust the time ... ???
or am i wrong? can u explain it to me?
thx

HEki said:

thx

Brief history

types of mounts

M42 - old style screw types or 645 medium format lens. U need a adaptor to mount these. Gives full AV but stopped down metering (i.e, focussing and metering is done at the aperture u stopped at, so it gets darker the smaller the aperture. U typically focus at full aperture and stopped down to smaller ones like f8 or f16 to take pic).

K/KM - Allows u to focus at full aperture and meter at the aperture set on the ring. The *ist seties do not have a lever to tell the camera what aperture the lens is, so it will only meter fully opened in AV mode. M mode is fully usable thru the use of the ael.

KA - Has connections allowing full AV functionality.

F/FA/FAJ/DA/DFA - the full AF series.

So basically u have the equivalent of a manual digital camera with your lens. In fact I favour the KM series as they are very small and portable and easier/cheaper to obtain than anything with a A in it.

HEki said:

thx

Your camera is one of the more modern Pentax cameras, which lacks the physical aperture coupling (MZ-50, MZ-30, *ist, and all 4 DSLRs). These cameras will only work "perfectly" with lenses that have the "A" setting and SET to the "A" setting.

But you just discovered the workaround. AE-L will do the trick by stopping the lens down, meter, and lock the shutter speed appropriately in Hyper Manual mode. I think this is the only way non-"A" lenses can be used on these cameras.

@ xdivider

i cannot thank you enought!
:heart: yeay gona test this lens tomorrow ... hope it is sharp ;p

It is not as sharp as some of the other lenses I've used but it has its own charms. Have fun.

It is actually quite sharp but the coating is probably single coated. I added a HMC filter and it help to control the contrast and flare when shooting facing the sun. It will however become smooth and softer beyond f4. This lens is using the carl zeiss Biotar formula so the characteristic is quite close.

Status
Not open for further replies.