Just some Macro shots from AH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garion

Nov 26, 2002
West side of S'pore
Visit site
After a long period it was AH revisited for me. Some butt shots to share taken last week...all taken in Manual mode, Aperture f11 and shutter speed (more or less) at 1/100. ISO 400. Sigma 180mm Macro handheld.

Plain Nawab:

ah_nawab_01.jpg

Peacock Pansy:

ah_pansy_01.jpg

Cycad Blue:

ah_cycadblue.jpg

Common Palmfly: (this one had chipped wing, u can see the iridescent patterns on its other side.)

ah_palmfly_01.jpg

Lucky to spot this Common Birdwing (female I presume) at the side of path when I was leaving. Grabbed a few shots before it flew off.

ah_birdwing_01.jpg

Side shot:

ah_birdwing_02.jpg

Comments welcomed.

garion, I like the plain nawab shots, the composition & nice bg work well ;)
as for the Cycad Blue shots, I think it's a bit over exposure by looking at the flower

Thanks FujiS2 and megaweb for the comments. I agree that for the Cycad Blue shot, the flower is "overcooked". Tried rescuing it in PS, but this is the best I could do. :embrass:

from birds to moths and butterflies...you shoot anything that can fly... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

:thumbsup:

What a nice shoot, but anyone try to compare the third party lense and NIKOR or CANON macro lense. Since I am thingking to buy one macro lense for my D100.

But I like the Peacock Pansy :), nice

Garion said:
After a long period it was AH revisited for me. Some butt shots to share taken last week...all taken in Manual mode, Aperture f11 and shutter speed (more or less) at 1/100. ISO 400. Sigma 180mm Macro handheld.

Peacock Pansy:

ah_pansy_01.jpg

Comments welcomed.
I like this shot , it has an interesting composition besides the beauty of the butt.
Would I be able to capture such shot with my nikon D70 kit? I took only once but the result is not as good as captured with Macro by many post here :confused:

rncw said:
from birds to moths and butterflies...you shoot anything that can fly... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Agree with you. Garion will shoot them if they fly :bsmilie:

I like the Plain Nawab and Common Palmfly shots. Good job, Garion.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, appreciate it. :)

rncw said:

rncw :kok: Well I do like to take pics of non-flying animals and insects too lar (humans also). :D

Hosea said:
Would I be able to capture such shot with my nikon D70 kit? I took only once but the result is not as good as captured with Macro by many post here :confused:
Yes you can. If you're using kit lens, can get good shots too, all you need is practice and patience. An ext. tube added between cam body and lens would also enable you to go closer to the subject. Of course nothing beats a macro lens, its a worthwhile investment if u shoot macros a lot.

skyline_impreza said:
Hmmm, nice pictures. Making me hungry. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Erm. You like to eat butts? :sweat:

:thumbsup: my fave of this lot is the common palmfly. The colours are so rich compared to my shots!

Making good use of your new toy ? ;)
Look like a variety of butterflies at AH. Whats a good time to go shoot there ? Is the garden easily spotted there ? Never been to the garden there for any shots.. ;p

Thanks y0ngcheng, Zookeeper, Papilio for the kind comments. Still striving to improve all the time, learn frm u guys too. ;)

majere2sg said:
Making good use of your new toy ? ;)
Look like a variety of butterflies at AH. Whats a good time to go shoot there ? Is the garden easily spotted there ? Never been to the garden there for any shots.. ;p
Yes, the Sigma 180mm is a great tool for nailing those butts. ;) Much better than 100mm Macro due to more working distance. There's plenty of variety of butts at the AH Trail, look at all the species captured by the regs here. The garden/Trail is situated just in front of the hospital. The entrance is near the bus stop closer to the Queensway Shopping Centre. Just walk in and u can see the Trail. If I can recall, bus service 100, 14 and 198 goes there, among others.

No fixed time really for shooting butts, they are active most of the day, best time is usually mornings (ard 7.30-10.30a.m) or late afternoons (for me I prefer mornings). Try to avoid noon time as the sun will be too bright and harsh for photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.