Just got my D70 today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Just picked it up at CP this evening, together with a 1GB Lexar Pro card from EastGear and B+W UV filter from Camera Workshop! :D

Damned happy, can't wait for the battery to charge up so I can start experimenting with it!

BTW, there seems to be a very small dot smack in the middle of the B+W UV filter that can't be removed using my lens pen. Is this normal or should I return it? And is $60 for the 67mm B+W UV filter an ok price?

Looking forward to contributing to CS.org :)

GYR

Gymrat76 said:
Just picked it up at CP this evening, together with a 1GB Lexar Pro card from EastGear and B+W UV filter from Camera Workshop! :D

Damned happy, can't wait for the battery to charge up so I can start experimenting with it!

BTW, there seems to be a very small dot smack in the middle of the B+W UV filter that can't be removed using my lens pen. Is this normal or should I return it? And is $60 for the 67mm B+W UV filter an ok price?

Looking forward to contributing to CS.org :)

GYR
That's great! Now lets see some great pictures!!!! I think try to use finger and apply pressure on that spot on the filter and see if it comes out... your finger smudge can clean with lens pen... Go snap!

Heee, great pictures? Slow la, me complete newbie to DSLRs :bsmilie: Will have to digest the thick manual that came with the camera first.. my first and only digital camera was one of the first ones, a Kodak DC-215 (1.3MP) camera, so things have changed a lot since then :) Somemore this is SLR which I don't know much about. But hoping to learn from zippo's class next Sat :)

Just to check what else I need, I already got:

1. Camera + lens (kit one)
2. Dry cabinet
3. B+W UV filter
4. CF card (1GB)
5. Lens pen + blower

Oh and I should leave the filter and lens hood on all the time hor?

So just need to get camera bag and I should be all set (for now at least) right?

Will wait until I have more moolah to get a flash and other stuff in the future (maybe next year!!!) since stupid income tax is due also :cry:

Cheers to everyone :)

Gymrat76 said:
Heee, great pictures? Slow la, me complete newbie to DSLRs :bsmilie: Will have to digest the thick manual that came with the camera first.. my first and only digital camera was one of the first ones, a Kodak DC-215 (1.3MP) camera, so things have changed a lot since then :) Somemore this is SLR which I don't know much about. But hoping to learn from zippo's class next Sat :)

2. Dry cabinet
3. B+W UV filter
4. CF card (1GB)
5. Lens pen + blower

So just need to get camera bag and I should be all set (for now at least) right?

Will wait until I have more moolah to get a flash and other stuff in the future (maybe next year!!!) since stupid income tax is due also :cry:

wah! so fast!!! congrats!

yup! leave the filter and hood on. for the filter, unless u want to use some color or special effect filters, its fine to leave it on.

camera bag is a must. try to anticipate ur needs and get a reasonably sized one. if u think u need to add more lens and flash, u might want to think of getting a mid-big size bag. CP has a wide range of lowepro. lowepro, IMO, are stylish and quite rugged. the padding inside can reasonably shield ur camera and stuff from light (and i stress, LIGHT!) knocks and bangs from swinging ard.

flash is the next thing to buy, unless u dun intend to do flash photography. check out the buy/sell to see if any CSers are selling their speedlights or 3rd party flashes?

have fun shooting!!! :bsmilie:

Welcome to DSLR... seems like you still short of a solid tripod.. :think:

Thanks for the all the suggestions! Well, with regards to tripod, I've got a cheapo one that I got free when my purchase of the dry cabinet from DigitalPoint, and another old one (Vivitar) that I have lying around in the house.. will use those first la since the D70 isn't that heavy, so should be able to tahan :)

For camera bags, mrs gymrat76 wants to get a colorful, trendy Crumpler one,, how are those compared to LowePro?

Gymrat76 said:
Thanks for the all the suggestions! Well, with regards to tripod, I've got a cheapo one that I got free when my purchase of the dry cabinet from DigitalPoint, and another old one (Vivitar) that I have lying around in the house.. will use those first la since the D70 isn't that heavy, so should be able to tahan :)

For camera bags, mrs gymrat76 wants to get a colorful, trendy Crumpler one,, how are those compared to LowePro?

hahaha.... like dat, dun matter whether which is better wat... the mrs is always right! :bsmilie:

but seriously, both are just as good, IMO. just pop by CP to have a look? i think CP carries the biggest range of lowepro ard singapore. dun know if they have crumpler. another suggestion is to look out for CSers selling their bags. got my lowepro mini trekker from a fellow CSer.

Have you gotten a Dry Cabinet for your new toy ? Time to learn how to take care and maintain the gear and then start shooting :)

Gymrat76 said:

2. Dry cabinet
3. B+W UV filter
4. CF card (1GB)
5. Lens pen + blower

Welcome to DSLR ! :)

You might want to get the ML-L1 remote from SykeTang. He's selling it cheaper than the shops.

megaweb said:
Have you gotten a Dry Cabinet for your new toy ? Time to learn how to take care and maintain the gear and then start shooting :)

Yep, got the cabinet a day before the camera ;) Am-Pro, 55L one. thx

bLight said:
Welcome to DSLR ! :)

You might want to get the ML-L1 remote from SykeTang. He's selling it cheaper than the shops.

Cool, thanks for the info. Will PM him then :)

shld get a strap for yr camera oso. stock D70 strap is not that comfortable on the neck. get a optech strap.

naviseal said:
shld get a strap for yr camera oso. stock D70 strap is not that comfortable on the neck. get a optech strap.

i saw CP (peninsular) carrying a new quite stylo-mylo ones on their shelves. if u wish to buy one, can check it out there. ;)

oh yeah, u might also want to check out espn's MO on consumer thread abt his MO on da protector. this is a LCD protection sheet for DSLRs. cost $12, but saves u a headache from scratched LCD screens.

nightwolf75 said:
oh yeah, u might also want to check out espn's MO on consumer thread abt his MO on da protector. this is a LCD protection sheet for DSLRs. cost $12, but saves u a headache from scratched LCD screens.
Sorry to OT a bit...I thought the D70 already comes with its own plastic LCD protector cover?

Garion said:
Sorry to OT a bit...I thought the D70 already comes with its own plastic LCD protector cover?

yup, it does. but i heard of cases people cracking or losing it b4. just a suggestion. ;)

Hmmm... from what I gather, da protector for the D70 only covers the rectangluar LCD portion, not the entire surface. I'd recommend buying a clear PDA screen protector and cutting it to size. The whole screen will be protected that way. Paste it on, and use the provided plastic protector, and you screen should be very safe. :D

Yah, CP sells Crumplers. Go check them out! Compare and contrast with the LowePros there. But yah, Mrs. Gymrat has spoken right? Maybe bring her with you to CP lah.

acroamatic said:
Hmmm... from what I gather, da protector for the D70 only covers the rectangluar LCD portion, not the entire surface. I'd recommend buying a clear PDA screen protector and cutting it to size. The whole screen will be protected that way. Paste it on, and use the provided plastic protector, and you screen should be very safe. :D

Yah, CP sells Crumplers. Go check them out! Compare and contrast with the LowePros there. But yah, Mrs. Gymrat has spoken right? Maybe bring her with you to CP lah.

Sigh, bring her with me? More like she bring me with her :bsmilie:

Wanted to get bag when I got camera other day, but dun dare cause she wasn't there.. after buy something she doesn't agree with then how :sweat: :D

Gymrat76 said:
Sigh, bring her with me? More like she bring me with her :bsmilie:

Wanted to get bag when I got camera other day, but dun dare cause she wasn't there.. after buy something she doesn't agree with then how :sweat: :D

ah.... wise man! :bsmilie: just let her pick the bag she like, but make sure u can fit all ur stuff in, and still got some spare room for further expansion.

Remember, your kit lens will not be the only lens around for much longer! You'll start to upgrade and then boom! your bag has no more space... good luck with the bag!

nickmak said:
Remember, your kit lens will not be the only lens around for much longer! You'll start to upgrade and then boom! your bag has no more space... good luck with the bag!

More like now, BOOM, wallet empty :cry:

It'll be a long while until I can think of buying lenses (or even a flash for that matter) :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.