Just a thought..how necessary is dry box/cabinets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the cost of lens cleaning is depends one where is a zoom lens or prime lens, prime lens are cheaper, but will not cost a few hundreds for cleaning a zoom lens. anyway, a simple lens clearing service charge is able to buy a small size dry cabinet already.

remember, prevention is always better than cure, don't take any risk for letting fungus grow on your lens.

btw, fungus spore is airborne and it is present every where, so your lens might already has fungus spore land on it, what fungus needs is just the right condition to grow. So don't push your luck, raining season is coming.

ok good with that than i can have a peace of mind.. haha

have a look into your camera manual, there you'll find a chapter about "Environmental Conditions" which are considered suitable for usage. They are on the conservative site, of course. So you can easily add a few percent point and degrees left and right. Equipment can take more than what most people dare to assume. My camera survived in drizzle, scorching heat, dust and the wetness of rain forest.

assuming one takes the camera and lenses out 1st thing in the morning, and puts them back only last thing at night, the question is how many hours per day in a dry cabinet (at say 50% RH) is considered sufficient? 8h overnight, anything more, or anything less?

Never say sorry to your love! :nono:

With Singapore's climate, better take one as soon as you could. If you do not have tupperware or a S$100 or so to spare, you could get one drybox at S$29.00 in the building where the Cathay stores are at across CityHall MRT, Level 1. Just upgrade later, when you have saved enough. This one got a hygrometer and also got handle on top and easy to move around. Just top-up some silica beads if necessary

With Singapore's climate, better take one as soon as you could. If you do not have tupperware or a S$100 or so to spare, you could get one drybox at S$29.00 in the building where the Cathay stores are at across CityHall MRT, Level 1. Just upgrade later, when you have saved enough. This one got a hygrometer and also got handle on top and easy to move around. Just top-up some silica beads if necessary

mscolor selling it for $23 nett.. can ask cathay to fly kite :bsmilie:

and a bottle of 500g silica gel costs $4 only.. haha

assuming one takes the camera and lenses out 1st thing in the morning, and puts them back only last thing at night, the question is how many hours per day in a dry cabinet (at say 50% RH) is considered sufficient? 8h overnight, anything more, or anything less?

A dry cabinet is a storage device but not a "speed dry unit". If you use your equipment everyday then fungus and mold don't have much chances to grow. Sunlight is the last thing fungus likes. Regular usage is best for your equipment.
If you don't use your equipment every day then storing under defined conditions (RH) is recommended. In Singapore usage of dry cabinet or dry box is recommended.

Frankly speaking, I think it's a must.

Can try not to and then see how long ur camera and lenses last, but why learn things the hard way ? Just get the smallest for a start.... the electricity cost is not substantial, even with the current 21% hike on prices..... Heeee

For me, dry box = long term storage. Dry cabinet = active use storage cos fast dry down to the set humidity. There's no control unless u buy one of the higher end type, otherwise even dry cabs is simply turn the knob and then hours later see where the meter reads.... no close loop for my 60L DigiCabi....

I think there's a thread somewhere advising on the humidity settings as well.... 40-50% if I remember right....

Status
Not open for further replies.