Just a quick question!


Status
Not open for further replies.

Linnl71

New Member
Jul 2, 2009
387
0
0
26
East area
#1
Okay, so I've just bought my Sanyo batteries online. During my unboxing, the battery is super-glued or STRONGLY taped to the plastic shelving. It was soooo tight!!

I managed to rip it out eventually and guess what.. the battery skin/label/casing(???) came off together with the tape. It looks like the battery has an open wound now.

I know my description sounds quite vague. But here's an image to show for better understanding.



So my question is; it is still usable right? Nothing will go wrong, no leaks, everything as per normal and most importantly, it wouldn't overheat and go BOOMZ during usage yes? Sorry if I'm being paranoid but I'm not very familiar with batteries :confused:

TIA!
 

Last edited:

ZerocoolAstra

Senior Member
Mar 13, 2008
9,522
0
0
rainy Singapore
#2
wah... which company did you buy from?
Although there SHOULD be no harm with using the batteries as they are, it looks rather ugly.
Try claiming for a new pair from the supplier?
 

xmilkbarx

New Member
Aug 10, 2009
378
0
0
29
Westie
#3
the batteries will still be usable as long there are no dents leaks or cuts to the inner surface. The manufacturer will make the batteries like the raw copy as you see inside of the plastic wrapping. The plastic wrapping will only display the type of batt the vendor is selling to differentiate between series. You might want to place the batteries facing down for one day to check if any leaks is present. But if you are really scared and want to be safe then buy new one. :) better to not save that few bucks to see your cam turn black. Ha ha. Just my 2cents.
 

karnage

New Member
Feb 26, 2005
1,325
0
0
35
Ang Mo Kio
#4
I'm just wondering if the exposed part of the cell plays any part in the conduction of current... The reason I thought of it is coz LR44 button cells, the smaller circle would be the negative end, whereas the rest of the cell is the positive, not just the flat side. So... wondering if it's the same case for AA batteries.

If it DOES conduct current, then just use black tape or cellophane tape to "insulate" it...
 

Linnl71

New Member
Jul 2, 2009
387
0
0
26
East area
#5
wah... which company did you buy from?
Although there SHOULD be no harm with using the batteries as they are, it looks rather ugly.
Try claiming for a new pair from the supplier?
I bought it online and not sure if I can disclose the site here. If you're interested you can PM me about it.

I do not think I will be able to exchange or get a new pair from the supplier as I was too un-cautious when removing the battery from the shelving. Nothing to do with the company or manufacturer or whoever it is. Lesson learnt anyways.

Unfortunately, it is brand new and yes it definitely looks ugly.. :cry:

the batteries will still be usable as long there are no dents leaks or cuts to the inner surface. The manufacturer will make the batteries like the raw copy as you see inside of the plastic wrapping. The plastic wrapping will only display the type of batt the vendor is selling to differentiate between series. You might want to place the batteries facing down for one day to check if any leaks is present. But if you are really scared and want to be safe then buy new one. :) better to not save that few bucks to see your cam turn black. Ha ha. Just my 2cents.
True. I will take note and be safe incase anything crops up. I will let it "rest" for 1 or 2 days and see what happens. Such a pity, brand new and it needs to be "hospitalized" ahahaha :sweat:.
 

spheredome

New Member
Jul 5, 2007
1,199
0
0
AMK
#6
:bsmilie::bsmilie:
The next time you encounter item secure with strong industrial transparent sticky tape, do not just rip it off with all your might. Just slowly pull one by one off.
 

KY1977

New Member
Jan 3, 2008
947
0
0
#7
Rip off the whole skin and gaffer tape them? ;)
 

Octarine

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
12,492
26
48
Pasir Ris
#8
I'm just wondering if the exposed part of the cell plays any part in the conduction of current... The reason I thought of it is coz LR44 button cells, the smaller circle would be the negative end, whereas the rest of the cell is the positive, not just the flat side. So... wondering if it's the same case for AA batteries.

If it DOES conduct current, then just use black tape or cellophane tape to "insulate" it...
For most batteries in this built type the metal cylinder is the negative pole, the positive pole is the small metal tip (left in your image). Get a small voltmeter and check whether there is any current between the 'naked metal' and the tip pole. Just gaffer if you are concerned, but for most devices it won't matter at all.
 

Linnl71

New Member
Jul 2, 2009
387
0
0
26
East area
#9
I'm just wondering if the exposed part of the cell plays any part in the conduction of current... The reason I thought of it is coz LR44 button cells, the smaller circle would be the negative end, whereas the rest of the cell is the positive, not just the flat side. So... wondering if it's the same case for AA batteries.

If it DOES conduct current, then just use black tape or cellophane tape to "insulate" it...
Makes sense.. Thanks for notice. Best the cover up the wound :S.

For most batteries in this built type the metal cylinder is the negative pole, the positive pole is the small metal tip (left in your image). Get a small voltmeter and check whether there is any current between the 'naked metal' and the tip pole. Just gaffer if you are concerned, but for most devices it won't matter at all.
I don't think I have a voltmeter around my house though. Most probably will play safe and patch it up!!

The next time you encounter item secure with strong industrial transparent sticky tape, do not just rip it off with all your might. Just slowly pull one by one off.
Lesson learnt, and hopefully you guys will take note too!!!

Rip off the whole skin and gaffer tape them? ;)
Woah, cannot luh. I think just patch up the exposed area can alr, haha :sweatsm:
 

Linnl71

New Member
Jul 2, 2009
387
0
0
26
East area
#11
usable la, that covering is just for aesthetic purposes.
Noted!

Thanks all, it is still perfectly fine. Just as what night86mare has said, the covering is just for aesthetic purposes and as long as no dents or whatsoever it is fine. :D

*Solved*
 

ZerocoolAstra

Senior Member
Mar 13, 2008
9,522
0
0
rainy Singapore
#12
just another point:
If you gaffer it with something thick, it probably won't fit into the slots in your flash, for example... something to consider if that's what you're considering :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom