jittery hands and monopod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dehuis

Mar 10, 2003
everton park
Visit site
hi.. i have rather shaky hands and can't seem to hold my shots steady at 1/90 (using eos 5 and 24-85 mm lens) so was thinking abt getting a monopod.

can anyone tell me if its gonna help and more details abt it like wat the different parts (i read abt ball head etc?) and how exactly does it work? where to get cheap one or second hand (cs anyone selling?)

or any other suggestions to hold shots steady other than tucking elbows in or develop a beer belly to act as support:)
thks

It might be preferable to keep trying to improve your technique instead of trying for a monopod as it takes skill and good fundamentals to even start using a monopod effectively.

Go through the checklist of the usual advice,keep elbows tucked in against body, press face against viewfinder, half-exhale and hold, squeeze firmly and hold..etc.

1/90s for 85mm should suffice for most stationary objects for an average user. What sort of subject were you trying to capture? If the subject was moving then it might require a much faster shutter speed.

hmm.. at 1/90, with 28-70 lens, even at full zoom, i thought the shutter speed should suffice? Pictures are coming out blur? consistently blur or just occasionally?

Because a monopod will not help you at all. Its use is really quite limited to situations e.g. a heavy setup and sideline shooting with the need to move around, where a tripod with 3 extended legs gonna be a pain.

For as long as you are holding the monopod, you still move (breathing etc.) and for night shots, the problem is compounded.

Basic posture and getting comfortable as Zerstorer mentioned, is still key.

My experience is that monopod will not significantly reduce your hand shake, at most you can shoot at 1-2 stops of slower shutter speed. If you have shaky hands problem, you should get a tripod. Alternatively, do some daily exercise with dumb-bell, it will make your hands more stable, trust me.

looks like most of u guys dun think a monopod is helpful. ok.. thks guess should go back to get some dumbbells or 2 liters bottles=)
thks

Originally posted by dehuis
looks like most of u guys dun think a monopod is helpful. ok.. thks guess should go back to get some dumbbells or 2 liters bottles=)
thks

A better idea will be to get a IS lens?
Such as 28-135 IS USM?
:devil: Buy Buy Buy:devil:

actually, if you have a tripod, you could use it as a monopod, though not as gainly looking, but it will serve you well for your shaky hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.