Jaywalkers risk their own lives and others'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nisa

Aug 13, 2004
Jaywalkers risk their own lives and others'

To say that jaywalkers are irresponsible is an understatement.

Mon, May 05, 2008
my paper

IT GRIEVES me whenever I read about fatal road accidents involving jaywalkers.

To say that jaywalkers are irresponsible is an understatement.

Their action not only destroys their own lives, but also those of other parties involved in the accident.

The impact of their callous attitude towards jaywalking goes beyond the sorrow felt by their loved ones.

It also has dire consequences for the driver who hits them.

Besides, it costs taxpayers' money as the state has to pursue the matter in a court of law.

I do not own a car and I always make sure that I cross the road at designated crossings.

This means walking a few more steps to a pedestrian crossing and spending a few extra minutes waiting for the 'green man'.

I accept such minor inconveniences as I want to be safe and be able to see my family at the end of each day.

Of course, the death of jaywalkers is sometimes a result of careless or inattentive driving on the motorists' part.

But the question is, can pedestrians still expect to have the right of way when they jaywalk?

A young acquaintance of mine who was booked for jaywalking had casually brushed it off as bad luck - everyone was doing it but she was the one who got booked.

She even had the cheek to appeal against the summons.

The next time you are about to jaywalk, please stop and think before you do it, as it could destroy not only your life, but others' as well.

Mr Soo Weng Loong
Source http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Mailbox/Story/A1Story20080505-63390.html

thank you captain obvious(not refering to ts). why hasn't there been a write up about irresponsible drivers either? I've seen plenty on the roads here.

Now I would like to see what happens if Mr Soo Weng Loong getting booked for jaywalking....;)

Seriously, we have so much rules and regulations to protect the public from getting hurt. There is only so much regulations can do, if the public do not use common sense to take care of themselves. What's the point of using proper traffic crossings, if the pedestrian do not check to ensure that it is safe to cross? You think you have right of way as a pedestrian in a traffic crossing? Simple rule for me, right of way in the following order...big vehicle - small vehicle - motorbikes - bicycles - pedestrian. I certainly stop and let anything bigger than me cross my path, even if I have right of way.

Seriously, we have so much rules and regulations to protect the public from getting hurt. There is only so much regulations can do, if the public do not use common sense to take care of themselves.

I totally agree. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I alway remind my children, if one jaywalk, when accident happens, the person is on the lossing end, he/she can't beat the car. The driver may get the license revoke, go to jail but the jaywalker may loss his/her life, worst if get paralyze and trouble the family for life.

Jaywalker may gain a few seconds but loss the rest of his/her life. So, think twice before you dash across the road.

If anyone think Jaywalker is not inconsiderate, do come to the driveway in front of Toa Payoh Methodist Church to Toa Payoh MRT during peak hours, the driveway simply becomes a walkway, many just ignore the cars. Oh, on both sides of the driveway, there are walkways, they just extended the walllllkkkkkkway.... Luckily for these jaywalkers, the cars drive very slowly in the driveway. When they build up this bad habit, they will do the same on the major road, then what happen......... bang lor.

hokay noted

actually come to think of it, everybody risks their own lives and others.
you walk along hdb corridor, there is ALSO a chance that you might you know, somehow by some massive series of events, fall off the building, and end up landing on somebody and killing them. therefore hdb corridor walkers also risk their own lives and others. we should all sit on the ground, and tie each other up. that way we won't risk anybody's lives and our own.

what's up with all this alarmism? jaywalkers have been around forever, they will be around forever, so long as people think that they are smart.

hokay noted

you walk along hdb corridor, there is ALSO a chance that you might you know, somehow by some massive series of events, fall off the building, and end up landing on somebody and killing them. therefore hdb corridor walkers also risk their own lives and others. we should all sit on the ground, and tie each other up. that way we won't risk anybody's lives and our own.

what's up with all this alarmism? jaywalkers have been around forever, they will be around forever, so long as people think that they are smart.

Got kill by falling object from the building is beyond your control, but got kill becos you jaywalk is stupid as you can control it. It seems like you like to give extreme example.

Got kill by falling object from the building is beyond your control, but got kill becos you jaywalk is stupid as you can control it. It seems like you like to give extreme example.

:bsmilie:

seems like always got people who got a bone to pick because they feel that their opinion has been dismissed.

but you get me wrong. if you are a driver, why kb about jaywalker? i'm not saying i encourage jaywalking, btw. read it properly, and you'll see what i mean, instead of happily shooting off a reply without even bothering to think. ;)

to make it easier for you:

1) jaywalker = person who fell off building
2) driver = person who kena crushed by jaywalker

tadaaaaa. easy math.

hokay noted

The point is... one is a conscientious decision, the other is a series of unfortunate events.

The point is... one is a conscientious decision, the other is a series of unfortunate events.

i don't see it as any different from the person who kena, ie the squashed guy or the driver.

the driver also suay what, meet one jaywalker :dunno:

seems like always got people who got a bone to pick because they feel that their opinion has been dismissed.

but you get me wrong. if you are a driver, why kb about jaywalker? i'm not saying i encourage jaywalking, btw. read it properly, and you'll see what i mean, instead of happily shooting off a reply without even bothering to think. ;)

to make it easier for you:

1) jaywalker = person who fell off building
2) driver = person who kena crushed by jaywalker

tadaaaaa. easy math.

people suay, you suay... but if people decides to make you suay, of course you kpkb. :bsmilie:

ya ya, "all sit on the ground, and tie each other up. that way we won't risk anybody's lives and our own." but all will get kill becos an aeroplane or a meteor come crashing down onto all. Chances may 1 in a billion or smaller but it still can happen.

Do check many of your posts in general discussion, you simply love to give the extreme of the distribution and not the normal part of the distribution. I'm not saying that the extreme can't happen, it chances is small that is all.

Don't get upset, it is just a discussion in a fun way, too serious, it will become boring.

Oh, each of us has our own opinion, it doesn't mean that who is right and who is wrong.

I think we better stop this, otherwise the mod will come .......

if you are a driver, why kb about jaywalker?

Me as a driver, I always give way to them, so I don't kpkb at them, but just concern that they might get themselves kill one of these days and I know not all drivers are nice.

Normally, I kp at those inconsiderate drivers and not jaywalkers as I know they can't beat the machine (me don't want to be in trouble too) and they are the loser if thing happens.

So are you one of the potential loser?

Do check many of your posts in general discussion, you simply love to give the extreme of the distribution and not the normal part of the distribution. I'm not saying that the extreme can't happen, it chances is small that is all.

alamak, even hypothetical reasoning just to carry the point further also cannot?

you see, people always like to say things.. but they cannot take their point to extreme. but for many points here, it's a 100% or 0% point. so how can they say that you can only go 50%?

just explaining why i like extreme examples. it exposes the flaws in one's argument, especially when the point is a life view. but we digress.

So are you one of the potential loser?

actually.. sometimes i jaywalk la :bsmilie:

the jaywalk type is when there is zero car on the road though (ok, no excuse, because fast cars are well, fast). punggol is really very tempting to jaywalk, for example. how not to jaywalk?! never jaywalk with cars around though, because everytime i jaywalk with cars the drivers want to give way, so i paiseh.

alamak, even hypothetical reasoning just to carry the point further also cannot?

you see, people always like to say things.. but they cannot take their point to extreme. but for many points here, it's a 100% or 0% point. so how can they say that you can only go 50%?

just explaining why i like extreme examples. it exposes the flaws in one's argument, especially when the point is a life view. but we digress.

You can have your opinion be it extreme or not. Only thing is that extreme is not the normal happening. If you take the 80/20 rules, normally people speak about the 80 and not the 20. There are still people prefer the 20, there is nothing wrong. However, I think you prefer outside the 3 sigma distribution (the 0.135% on each end of a normal distribution). Again, it is perfectly OK, there are still happenings with your examples, it is just the probability is small and very small.

Remember the Mas S posting about leader and followers. Again your example can happen but the chances of it happening is small and not cannot happen. Why don't want to speak about the more likely to happen events.

Opinion, there is NO right or wrong, it is just each other opinion and we can agree or disagree, nothing wrong, nothing flaws, you didn't expose any argument, you example is right and others too.

And please don't use chim example like killed by fallen object from HDB building and then equate it to driver and jaywalker, not all people are as intelligent as you, you know.

actually.. sometimes i jaywalk la :bsmilie:

the jaywalk type is when there is zero car on the road though (ok, no excuse, because fast cars are well, fast). punggol is really very tempting to jaywalk, for example. how not to jaywalk?! never jaywalk with cars around though, because everytime i jaywalk with cars the drivers want to give way, so i paiseh.

Sometime something is very funny, when a lot of people jaywalk at the same time, the chance of accident happen is smaller than only one person jaywalk. Probably, when a lot of people jaywalk, the drivers are more careful.

Remember the Mas S posting about leader and followers. Again your example can happen but the chances of it happening is small and not cannot happen. Why don't want to speak about the more likely to happen events.

that one?

actually not sure what example you are talking about - but the truth is that there is no moderate ground when it comes to terrorism. you can either be hard all the way, or soft all the way. it seems that most part of the world has chosen to do it the soft way. then you solve it by education. it isn't an extreme situation - there are replacements waiting in the wing; unless you really do think that the leaders of terrorist rings are very free, happy , joyful people who are optimistic about life.

anyways, i don't think you get my point but it is alright.

in summary, when i use extreme examples it is an indirect way of saying that you can't have a view and take it halfway through for many things. the old chinese stories about the 2 soldiers running from the enemy were comparing their relative bravery. the one that ran 50 steps laughed at the one who ran 100 steps and claimed that he was cowardly. but both ran, so what's the difference? no difference at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.