Japanese Sunset

Silverclaw

Apr 30, 2010
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like a critique on my compositions and light work, as I feel as if I messed up the light and made it look fake by using a gelatin blue to orange filter.
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wanted to show how beautiful some places on earth can be..?
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Camera Canon EOS 50D
Exposure Time 0.01s (1/100)
Aperture f/8
ISO 100
Focal Length 41mm (65.6mm in 35mm)
No conditions/emotions that i can remember apart from quickly taking out my camera because there had been a huge flash of orange in the sky, and handholding a filter at the front.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think that although it looks really nice, it also looks fake, due to the use of a gelatin filter along with the sunset. I also didn't want to photoshop it that much, so i just reduced the contrast by a bit. I shot JPEG so it's harder to correct exposure. This is one of my earlier landscape shots, the more recent ones are somewhat better... all in my smugmug

906329871_9LkWe-L.jpg

Last edited:
Fake or not, depends on the eyes of the beholder...

like to hang it in my living room

just a smudge less saturation would be great. this has overstepped border of "just enough" and "too much" for me.

composition wise, i think it's fine. nothing very exceptional, but safe and alright.

i would consider cleaning up the shadows at the bottom of image just a bit to make it better.

just a smudge less saturation would be great. this has overstepped border of "just enough" and "too much" for me.

composition wise, i think it's fine. nothing very exceptional, but safe and alright.

i would consider cleaning up the shadows at the bottom of image just a bit to make it better.

934337495_oTGBJ-M.jpg

like this? or is this too little saturation?

Hmm the orange is a little too much...right?:sweatsm:

Hmm... I have been looking in the picture for quite a moment... Its a nice scenery... Now, Where the sun? o_O