JANUARY OUTING 24TH JANUARY 2016 THAIPUSAM FESTIVAL

Hi everyone, kindly be advised that the meeting time has been brought forward to 6.30am ( meet outside City Square Mall - near entrance / exit of Farrer Park MRT ), for some informal introduction and idea sharing on how to approach the street photography. I have decided to bring forward the time to avoid the harsh sunlight which happens after 9am.

Start shooting at 7.00 am

End shoot at about 9.00 am then we proceed for breakfast .

List of Attendees
1) Franz
2) JK
3) KA Chang
4)fengwei
5) Felix
6) Joe
7) OTC
8) PhilipKr35
9) Cheong
10) Greg
11) Opera58
12) Ranchy (Hope i can wake up)

Hi All,

I would like to check, usually for Thaipusam, the action of ceremony and chanting starts in the midnight and actual walking begin in the morning. So for this year, the action starts on Sat night or Sunday night. Usually very confused about this every year. I would be glad to join you all as well. Thanks

Hi All,

I would like to check, usually for Thaipusam, the action of ceremony and chanting starts in the midnight and actual walking begin in the morning. So for this year, the action starts on Sat night or Sunday night. Usually very confused about this every year. I would be glad to join you all as well. Thanks

It starts on Sat night.

Default Re: JANUARY OUTING 24TH JANUARY 2016 THAIPUSAM FESTIVAL

Hi everyone, kindly be advised that the meeting time has been brought forward to 6.30am ( meet outside City Square Mall - near entrance / exit of Farrer Park MRT ), for some informal introduction and idea sharing on how to approach the street photography. I have decided to bring forward the time to avoid the harsh sunlight which happens after 9am.

List of Attendees
1) Franz
2) JK
3) KA Chang
4)fengwei
5) Felix
6) Joe
7) OTC
8) PhilipKr35
9) Cheong
10) Greg
11) Opera58
13) C E Tan

Default Re: JANUARY OUTING 24TH JANUARY 2016 THAIPUSAM FESTIVAL Hi everyone, kindly be advised that the meeting time has been brought forward to 6.30am ( meet outside City Square Mall - near entrance / exit of Farrer Park MRT ), for some informal introduction and idea sharing on how to approach the street photography. I have decided to bring forward the time to avoid the harsh sunlight which happens after 9am. Start shooting at 7.00 am End shoot at about 9.00 am then we proceed for breakfast . List of Attendees 1) Franz 2) JK 3) KA Chang 4)fengwei 5) Felix 6) Joe 7) OTC 8) PhilipKr35 9) Cheong 10) Greg 11) Opera58 12) Ranchy (Hope i can wake up) 13) C E Tan 14) Zann

Hi, first time attempt street photography. Seek advise what are the focal length lens suitable for this occasion? Also do we use flash? Thanks.

List of Attendees
1) Franz
2) JK
3) KA Chang
4)fengwei
5) Felix
6) Joe
7) OTC
8) PhilipKr35
9) Cheong
10) Greg
11) Opera58
13) C E Tan
14) Zann

Sorry messed up the post. repost.

Hi, first time attempt street photography. Seek advise what are the focal length lens suitable for this occasion? Also do we use flash? Thanks.

I also have no idea... never been to Tahipusam Festival before too..

Let JK and the rest of the experts to share.. :)

List of Attendees
1) Franz
2) JK
3) KA Chang
4)fengwei
5) Felix
6) Joe
7) OTC
8) PhilipKr35
9) Cheong
10) Greg
11) Opera58
13) C E Tan
14) Zann
15) nibihz (Hope I can wake up too, noob canon user)

Focal length used depends on what you want and how near you want to get.
Generally, a wider lens gives more context (ie. shows the subject in relation to the environment), and longer lens usually its easier to get subject isolation.
Crowded places, with people getting into the frame btwn you and the subject, a longer lens will be harder to use than a shorter one.
Thats why most street/candid/people shooting is done using the 28mm,35mm,50mm,85mm.

The safe bet is to have a wide 24mm,28mm a 'normal' 50mm and a short tele like 77mm, 85mm to get a range of options.
Some guys are so familiar with the focal length they use often that they just bring along one lens.
For me its usually a 50mm.

No right or wrong here, just bring what you have/want and work yourself to using whatever focal length you have at hand.

Agree with the points made by pinholecam. Perhaps you may wish to bring 2 - 3 lens, 28 / 35mm , 50mm / 85mm , and finally a telephoto. Since its quite early, we may have low light condition, hence fast lens may be preferred, especially if you are lucky enough to get into the temple grounds ( which is another reason why we start at such hours ). The telephoto will be the principal view when you move out to the main road , by which time the sunlight would be brighter, assuming fine weather holds. Flash is optional. For me, less weight , the better. Hope to see you and the rest of the guys tomorrow.

Hi, anyone has black n white 35mm any ISO film? Can bring n sell me two rolls ? Philip

List of Attendees
1) Franz
2) JK
3) KA Chang
4)fengwei
5) Felix
6) Joe
7) OTC
8) PhilipKr35
9) Cheong
10) Greg
11) Opera58
13) C E Tan
14) Zann
15) nibihz (Hope I can wake up too, noob canon user)
16) Darius