I've gotten the best lens ever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my short-sightedness is about 850/1000 with astig at 350/200. I know that even if I were to go for lasik operation, I will not have a perfect eye-sight. OT, wonder if short-sightedness is hereditary? :dunno:

how is the process?

if i am not wrong , you have to stay awake thru the process right.......

Originally posted by Goondu
OT, wonder if short-sightedness is hereditary? :dunno:
Not sure if it is hereditary, but there was some research done that indicates diet does play a part in shortsightedness.

Apparently, if the body creates too much insulin (blood sugar) it inhibits production of Protein-3 that coordinates eyeball growth in childhood. The eyeball then doesn't grow properly as the child develops.

Here is the Straits Times article that describes the findings of the European scientists.

As for me, I am giving my kids wholemeal bread and no cereal so that can eliminate this factor ... at least can try to give them better eyesight than me and the wife. ;p

one thing that concerns me is that after the lasik surgery my degree will rise again given the fact i stare at the computer most of the time even though my degree's been stable for the past few yrs

Hi David,
I haven get news from my uncle for a few months, will ask about them from my family later. My uncle's family have migrated to Australia, and permanently staying there. Maybe no news is good news...just hope he is fine there now.

Lasik in Malaysia? I have seen advertisement in the newspaper, and the pricing if I remember correctly is about RM2xxx for one eye. However, like you said, I am more confident in Singapore standard (pay more money...thus they should be more concern with you). Dare not to play play with eyes...:(

Currently not rich enough (even sold all my Nikon, can afford just one eye...), will wait at least for another two years before taking up that kind of decision.

Goondu, you might be able to correct yours down to a very reasonable level. 6/6 MIGHT be possible. I'm not the eye doc, so obviously in no posn to comment here! ;) But I've heard pple who had 1000 degs and they got very reasonable correction. Down to 50 degs or so, if not perfect.

Yah, I think genes play some part. Seems like the Chinese get it the most compared to Caucasians. But I think lifestyle plays a part too. I remember when I was in pri school some 20 years back that wearing glasses is pretty rare in class. Of those that wore, I remember they had the problem since childhood. So they wore thick glasses and when they removed them, their eyes looked very small. Mothers could be heard commenting Oh look, so poor thing that gal. Wear glasses!

The irony is that, nowadays, we see children here as young as 4 or 5 years old wearing such glasses. And it seems normal. By pri 6, I think it's not surprising to find 1/2 the class wearing them! Maybe it's the long stare on computers. I'm one of those who believe pressures of living in S'pore are the cause of it too. YOu feel stressed, anguished, depressed and worry for the future, your studies, work etc. The eyes simply decide to look at things in the "short term" (near focusing) to deal with whatever problems. They don't want to "look far" cos the future is not rosy. Physical defects from birth aside, I think if s'pore were a more relaxed and fun place to live in, there'd prob not be that many cases of myopia.

Superhero, yes you got to be awake. But no pain at all, just some pressure that you can feel on the eye.

Kho King, hmmm RM2xxx is still cheaper than over here.... Hahaha...yah the docs here always assure the public they maintain very high standards and safety records.

errr...very tempting...:rbounce:

S$5k for both eyes...hmm...I guess at least a year for me before I can afford that. S$5k...again...I will choose eyes over lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.