It's pretty quiet here lately ... waiting for the new K5IIs?

so why isnt anyone ordering from b&h with the superlow us dollar?

am i missing something because i think its time to upgrade my k200d (DISGUSTING I KNOW)

#1: Ordering from overseas carries a certain risk that you get a faulty unit in the mail which would then involve quite a bit of hassle if the warranty is not covered locally.
#2: You would usually have to pay GST and shipping (I recall B&H shipping rates are not that cheap), so the price is not as attractive as it seems.

B&H does ship to Singapore, as I recall.

#1: Ordering from overseas carries a certain risk that you get a faulty unit in the mail which would then involve quite a bit of hassle if the warranty is not covered locally.
#2: You would usually have to pay GST and shipping (I recall B&H shipping rates are not that cheap), so the price is not as attractive as it seems.

B&H does ship to Singapore, as I recall.

yup, they do ship to SG and u're right. the freight charges are not cheap.

i've asked very similar questions before and worked out a spreadsheet after receiving feedback from many here to help me weigh the pros and cons.

in essence, i key in simple formulas to help me quickly derive the CIF price and the SGD price inclusive of GST, compare the item with the local street price and decide from there if its worth it.

the important thing here is the threshold that is used to make the decision - how much cheaper is cheap enough to take the risk and click buy?

if the item is not available in SG and the only way is to ship it in from overseas, then the question is largely irrelevant.

if the price is only marginally cheaper (i.e. 10% - 20%), i consider it not worth the trouble.

at the end of the day, the cost savings should at least exceed the amount needed to cover the cost of return shipment if the item does not turn out well. but while we might not have lost money in that event, it would have taken quite a lot of time to deal with such problems - all things considered, it might be less trouble to just take the train down to Funan.

in my experience, more established overseas online stores would insert the original invoice on the outside of the package (not sure if B&H does this - never bought from them before) and they do not entertain requests to doctor their documents.

Last edited:
aight aight so its mostly to save trouble and save like usd60 bucks for shipping! I might just pull the trigger cuz im going overseas to study anyways(no use for local warranty)

buying overseas, need to factor in 7 % gst, any imports above 400 dollars. If price differentiall is small, its better to buy locally, cos you could touch, fondle or molest whatever words you wanna choose, or have some physical intimacy with the camera before you decide to buy:bsmilie:;)

marcus

Get a better quality tripod (rust and sand resistant one, if there is one like that) and be done w/ it?
Oops, I missed this out earlier on. The Berlebach I have has less issues of getting jammed... After all, wood doesn't rust and it's not telescopic.. But wood will swell with time. :bsmilie:

The only tripod that I know that is designed to be used in the sea is the Gitzo Ocean Explorer. The maximum tripod height is disappointing though. :(

In any case, the three tripods I have aren't replacements, they are just choices which I can pick from when I go out shooting - whether I need something that can fit over a railing (Sirui R2004), something that will work well in the sea with less maintenance issues (Berlebach) and something that is light and isn't very good at anything besides taking easy shots (Sirui T1005). :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Well, if you wanna use it in sea water, there isn't anything out there which doesn't need maintenance I guess. That's something you have to deal with when things come in sea water. Looking at those scuba diving gear and under water cameras ...